Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Michelle,

I don't know anything about Bansko unfortunately, other than that it was featured in a property programme on TV the other night!

However, we skied in Bulgaria last February and enjoyed it. We stayed in Borovets in the Hotel Rila, which was comfortable and had a lovely big swimming pool - ideal after a hard day on the slopes. The ski instructors were exceptional, although the lessons were scheduled in the morning most instructors would stay with you for the whole day and act as a ski guide for you. It is customary to give them a tip at the end of the week as their wages are very poor, and they very much appreciate this. The whole team of instructors also do a stunt show every week, which is amazing to watch.

I found the skiing in Bulgaria to be more limited than in Andorra. We have skied in Pas de la Casa twice, but chose Bulgaria also because of the price. The lift systems compared to Pas were older and less reliable, but still sufficient. The queues for the lifts were almost non-existent though, which was great. The only time we had a problem was at the Gondola first thing in the morning as everyone was trying to get up the hill at the same time.

The slopes are ideal for beginners and intermediate skiers with a few more challenging runs for the more advanced. Another huge advantage over Andorra was that there were very few snowboarders!! (And I have boarded myself, before I am acused of being snowboarder-ist!! I like skiing better)

Food was reasonably priced and very good quality, if you like Italian there is an Italian opposite the Rila called the Red Lion, strangely enough, which serves the most amazing spaghetti carbonara and Garlic bread. The pubs were busy and also well priced, but watch out for the VERY strong drinks. The "apres ski" was not quite so well developed as in Andorra.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions.

Amy :sun
I am in the process of buying a ski lodge in Pamporovo ( for investment mainly) Before money changes hands my husband is flying out to see the proposed development. He doesn't want to hire a car this time so I wondered if anyone here knew if there is a taxi/transfer service from the airport that can be booked. I don't want him stuck there at 4am in the morning!
There are transfer services advertised on the 'net, they appear to be very expensive compared to normal transportation costs in Bulgaria.

Will PM a couple of URLs for you to peruse.

Regards,

Baldur
thanks Baldur
you are a gem!
I have just been contacted by the developer and they are sending someone to pick him up. You are right about the web prices!
Hi Fiona,

Glad to hear that - the prices that the websites were quoting were as high as the Balkan Horn 'special offer' winter coach fare from London to Varna!

Baldur
This will probably sound really silly but....my husband and I are going to Bulgaria in March skiing for the first time but we haven't a clue what to bring to wear!!

We havent a clue what we need to bring clothes wise! Do we need thermal vest etc, how many coats etc and what sort of clothing do we bring for night?

I am planning to get stuff off e bay cause I don't want to spend a lot of money incase we hate it and never go again!

Tips on how much to bring and what to bring for a week will be appreciated!!

Thanks!!
:)
Hi!It depends a lot in which resort you would like to stay because in everyone the prices are different.The most expensive resort is Pamporovo for example but this is the best resort in my opinion.the "tourist track"for skiing is very long and very good.another possibility is Borovetz there it is not so expensive...But i can't tell you exact prices because they are differnet for Bulgarian tourists and foreigners.
About the clothes...it is better to take more warm clothes and special equipment for skiing,when you will ski for first time expect a lot of falling down so you should be well protected against wetting.
But for the excursion it is better for you to buy a package or how it is called?when you buy your fly ticket and the overnights in hotel because this will be cheaper...
I hope i have helped you a little.Bye
Hi Dawnie

You might find THIS TOPIC helpful :wink:

Pippy :D
Thinking of hitting the slopes in Bulgaria in Jan 06 and want to hear from anyone who was there last year? Have been to Andorra for last few years and fancy a change. Welcome any comments or advice - particularly regarding snow and piste conditions and facilites on the slopes.
Welcome to HT!
Until someone else replies have a look here for an idea
For the people who ski in Switzerland every year is it simply no comparison? Ther seems to be questions about the amount of real snow and the runs themseleves being for beginners. I dont want to hear about ''it is cheaper'' what people want to hear is - is the skiing any good or is it not. You can get cheaper baked beans than Heinz baked beans, but Heinz baked beans taste wonderful whereas 10p baked beans at Aldi taste ghastly. Are the worlds best skiers really going to be challenged by the Bulgarian slopes or is it simply a sales line saying Olympics 2012? Stuart
Hi,

A colleuge is returning from bulgarian skieing soon, so will let you know how it went!!!

I went there property hunting, not skieing.

BRAD
Hi!

I am going skiing to Pamporovo in March. Can anyone tell me whether they have cash machines there and if not which is the best way to take our money. I have heard the best thing to do is take cash?

Also any tips on the area would be great!!

Thanks
Hi information on how to find ATM machines around the world can br found in the following thread

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=401

wizard
Hi
Went skiing to Borovets in Bulgaria last Feb and My family and I are going agian this feb, cant wait. fantastic time great for beginners and very cheap.would definitely recommend :P
Could anyone tell me if you can put your ski boots in your ski bag. I have paid for skis to go on plane. Only 2nd time skiing and 1st time with own gear so if anyone has some useful advise would be much appreciated.x
Hi Liverpool
Did you like Borovets apart from the skiing? If one of your party is not a lover of skiing what would there be to do? It would be great for members here if you could give us a mini resort report!!
Hi everyone

can anyone please advise me on how to take my money when I go to Pamporovo in March.

Thanks to one of the moderators who posted a website for me to find where ATMs (cash machines) are in the world but I found none in Pamporovo.

Do I really have to take all cash and if so do I take sterling, Euros or wht?

Thanks
Thanks for that help Wizard, but there does not seem to be any cash machines in Pamporovo!!

So back to square one!! Doh!

(I have also posted a query in the Activity holiday section hoping someone will help!)

Thanks. :?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.