Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
My husband who travels through the airport weekly, thinks that there is. However, he's a non smoker and usually half asleep in the mornings, but he'll double check tomorrow.
Yes there are smoking areas, but they are tiny and you might have a problem seeing them. We just got back yesterday and there was a couple of areas in Concourse C.

I called our hotel early in January and was told that it was non-smoking except in the rooms. However when we arrived there were smoking areas in both bars/lounges.

Walking around Torremolinos I noticed several bars had signs up stating that they did allow smoking so it appears that the ban has had little effect there.

luci :wave
Yes there are clearly marked smoking areas in Malaga airport however, they do look a little strange........they are like trolleys that you stand around and have lines painted on the ground to show that you can smoke there.

There is one such area by the baggage carousels in arrivals - another by the cafe in arrivals.

In departures you can only smoke once you've gone through passport control and then you'll see various smoking points close to seceral of the gates.
The reason why bars in Torremolinos were still allowing smoking ("en este establecimiento se permite fumar") is because the new anti-tobacco law will not be legally enforced until September 1.
Bar and restaurant owners have eight months to re-structure their premises in such a way that smokers and non-smokers are "soundly separated". Until then, from what I have read, virtually every bar on the costa has opted to allow smoking.
Yes the signs are everywhere -in bars and tapas bars - and eating places. It appears though that in what some may say "typical Spanish fashion" - it will be very hard to stop the smoking take place. I have yet to see a bar that has currently refused to allow it - however i was actually unaware that the whole concept becomes "enforceable" in September. So for all non smokers looks like it will be around for a while longer yet. Incidently, a couple of weeks ago at Malaga Airport there seemed to be lots of smoking tables available in the cafe area of the gates at B concourse.

Nivsy
The reason why bars in Torremolinos were still allowing smoking ("en este establecimiento se permite fumar") is because the new anti-tobacco law will not be legally enforced until September 1.
Bar and restaurant owners have eight months to re-structure their premises in such a way that smokers and non-smokers are "soundly separated". Until then, from what I have read, virtually every bar on the costa has opted to allow smoking.

I`m sorry to correct you, but the smoking law became legal and enforceable on the 1st Jan 2006, and one man in Tudela has already been fined 240 euros for breaking the law.
The Spanish government are giving until the end of August, for planning permission to be granted for any structural work that needs to take place, in order to comply with the law, this is to stop establishments dragging their feet and flounting the law, but this doesn`t mean the law is not enforceable until Sept.

I was in Spain on the Costa Blanca on the 1st Jan, and although total confusion reigned in the resort, the hotels including mine, went overnight into a non-smoking hotel, some bars also went non-smoking, which had previously allowed it....by the end of my holiday, some hotels having seen a drastic drop in their bar takings, were creating designated areas for smokers, but I would emphasize that designated areas may mean outside.
You can be fined up to £400 for breaking the law, and it is also against the law to smoke, eat, drink or use your phone whilst driving.
The law was passed by the Spanish parliament on 15 th December.
http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=82&story_id=26673&name=First+fine+under+new+anti-smoking+law++

besos xxx
sanji
Yes, you're quite right Sanji. If a bar/restuarant opts have a designated non-smoking area (as of now) and someone chooses to smoke in it, he/she is liable to be fined (and quite right, too).
Those bars/restaurants still swithering about their policy and opting for the "en este establecimiento se permite fumar" approach, have until September 1 to decide which way to jump. Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.
Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.

No problem Tony :kiss
I just didn`t want people to be misinformed, £400 is an expensive smoke. :D
besos xx
Sanji
I am hoffified by the anti smoking zeal of some of the posts on this subject. Yes smoking is a discusting smelly habit and one I feel that is more widespread in Spain than in the UK.
However to be suprised that most bars in Spain continue to allow smokers shows how little the contributors to this website know of the psyche of this country.
Spain has lived through a particularly nasty period of dictatorship and the people of Spain do not like to be told what to do by government especially if it means that people in the hospitality industry are going to lose employment.
The bar owners in the Costa Del Sol are worried by this issue because if the majority of your customers smoke the smoking laws will inevitably mean the closure of many small buisnesses in a country with high unemplyment.
Already the numerous street kiosks along the costas are set to dissapear because of these new laws and have taken to the streets in Malaga in protest because of the worries of unemployment.Please do not revel in other peoples suffering.Unemployment in the Uk means hardship but in Spain it can mean disaster to many families and these smoking laws are going to throw many bar workers into poverty and long term unemployment.
Remember we live in a rich almost full employment Great Britain. Spain is not in that position
Not sure when the new smoking laws came in as I am not a smoker but my husbad is last time we went there there was smoking area's scattered about as it was a long way from departing from the plane to exiting the Airport.
pojo
However to be suprised that most bars in Spain continue to allow smokers shows how little the contributors to this website know of the psyche of this country.

Hola.
Don`t assume that everyone who contributes to this forum and although they may be British, may not have knowledge of the history and culture of Espana.
I agree with your comments entirely, having Spanish friends, I know how long and hard they have to work, and in some cases it is for nothing more than a pittance....just to keep a rented roof over their heads.
Some people in this country wouldn`t get out of bed for the same money. :twisted:
I appreciate fully what you are saying, I personally feel that Spain is going through changes that are not beneficial to the culture of the country.
Yes, you joined the EU and you have had millions of euros from the fund to build promenades and roads, that the tourists walk and drive on, but the introduction of the euro created inflation and a subsequent rise in the cost of living, that was not match by salaries.
Yes, tourists moan at the price rise, but they give little consideration to actually living in Spain on Spanish workers wages and having to pay these prices 24/7.
Yes, you have immigrants from Eastern Europe willing to undercut the Spanish workers.
Yes, you have house prices thanks to the tourists, who fall in love with Spain, that are now beyond the reach of the average Spaniard, and they are now destined to spend a life in overpriced rented accomodation.

We in the UK, have had to adapt to laws forced upon us by Brussels. :evil:
By joining the EU and adopting the euro, Spain is now being told what to do by the people in Brussels, who sit behind a desk and have no thought for the average Spaniard, or the British citizens, :evil: they just have a policy and an agenda to follow.
I hope the Spanish people have the commitment to overturn this law, nearly 40% of their economy depends on tourists and tourists from all nations smoke... the people power got rid of Jose Maria Aznar :wink:maybe they should get rid of Elena Salgado :wink:
besos xxx
Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2006-02-04 10:34:03
Wonderful reply to my post on the effect of the new smoking laws in the Costa del Sol and Spain. I cant add anthing more Thankyou
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.