Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Lynne, most of the cats you see are feral, although they are friendly and hang around the hotels they are not as such owned, the same applies to Greece and several other countries, they are tolerated as they will mainly feed on roaches and other large bugs along with mice/rats etc that is the main reason that you will very rarely see any of these pest about
There is a small group of expats that care for *some* of these cats all year round.
They also (funds permitting) take animals to be "done". You may not have noticed - take a close look next time - that some of them have one ear clipped? This is done by the vet whilst they are still asleep so that it is clear which ones have already been "done" so that they aren't rounded up again unnecessarily. I guess thats just the girl cats as the boy ones are pretty obvious if they have not been "done" :oops:

Protaras, whilst very quiet in winter, still has a couple of hotels open and there are still a few people about - we have been in December, January and February and the cats are still there, not looking starving :D

Ady
We have stayed in Protaras 3 times and have never seen any cats, apart from the odd one, I have to say...... which is a good thing becuase it would play on my mind, and my childrens, and upset me..... :oops: they have a good scheme in Bulgaria, where my parents now live........ they neuter dogs..... not so sure about cats though... then they put a "clip" on their ear, so that they know which ones have been neutered. Maybe such a practise should be implemented in Cyprus...... but obviously this would cost money...... :oops: :?
Those cats can look after themselves mostly, many feed them and this is a mistake, no cats then plenty of rats and mice...they do a good job.
glad to hear that some neutering is being done to help the situation.

Ady...glad you have seen the cats in the winter months, fit and well.
We have three of our own, and I don't like cat's.... :wink:
Jim, why Holland, might I ask?
double dutch??? just messin around Mark, I liked this logo :wink:
Some people need to get out more. :wink:

I'd have said "too much time on their hands" but I know you have your hands full keeping CL in check" :lol:

Mark
Not sure about this one either Mark HT is a little fussy adding avatars..hope you are feeling better mate!!
The cats in Cyprus are in much better condition than others on the continent. I didn't see so many this year but they are able to take care of themselves off season - plenty of lizards etc to feed on although I agree they should be neutered. There is a wonderful cat sanctuary near Limassol - The Malcolm Sargeant Sanctuary - must be the best cat hotel in Cyprus & we pay a visit each year and make a donation. I adore any animal and it is distressing to see strays but I'm afraid its a way of life in Cyprus - Cypriots are not overly soft & sensitive like the English animal lover.
I've just clicked on that link...what a great place , i have ordered my calender ,and if we go back next year then we will visit the sanctuary.

Ian
Please do go and visit the cat sanctuary near Limassol - it is a lovely place and the volunteers who run it always make you welcome as do the cats - only problem is you want to bring one home!! The cats are absolutely gorgeous and so well looked after and they never turn an animal away. If you can afford it please leave a donation - they rely heavily on these. My hubbie and I always spend a couple of hours here each time we visit Cyprus.
There do seem to be lots of cats around the odessa hotel all year round one year i saw a little boy he must of been about 7 years old and he picked a kitten up and threw across the grass and he was with is parents and all they said was "dont" and never took any notice of it which was pretty sad.
This year when i went in August a greek lady was driving down the strip got out let the cat out of a box and drove off and left him , not being nosey but i do wonder why people just leave pets like this!

Dont know if anyone has tryed Romeo Resturant at the end of the strip but my friend was in there the other day having a meal she said it was a lovley meal untill she saw a cat walk in the resturant and as they were ordering another round of drinks the waiter saw the cat and stamped on it & killed it :( so everyone got up in the middle of there meal and walked out , how sad! there was a party of 19 there too she said and they all got up and walked out to! :(

CourtneeLouise
saw the cat and stamped on it & killed it

Probably get my head in my hands over this.

If it had been a rat would the response have been the same. In many countries they are just as much of a problem as rats.

We do seem to have a love affair with cats.

They are wild. They can survive very well without any help from us. Indeed it is possible that tourists actually make the problem worse by feeding them. They carry disease and a bite or scratch can be dangerous.

Nature actually does have its own method of controlling them. If there is not enough food then the numbers will die off to a level that can be sustained.

Yes I do like cats, but on holiday I steer clear of them.

fwh
Thats the only thing i dont like about wild cats is the desises they carry around with them but i just didnt see no reason in him having to kill the cat when he could of just picked it up and taken it outside like when all the cats walk through nicolas tavern whenever were sat in there one of the waiters or Yulia who works there and loves cats just picks them up and puts them outside instead of kiling them but everyones different so... !

CourtneeLouise :)
Good job i wasn't there as i probably would have got arrested for GBH if i'd seen the waiter do that :evil: :evil:
Although there are potential hazards for acquiring some diseases from feral cats the incidence is rare...Contact with other humans is more likely to be a source of contracting infectious diseases.

Source, and full text is here http://www.feralcat.com/hcffc.html
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.