Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Welcome to HT Nicnac :wave:

What are peoples opinions on lone female holiday makers

Who cares what others think, you go and have a great time and enjoy yourself :tup

Any advice/ tips for a single person on holiday?

Having been to Egypt before you are at an advantage as you will be familour with the :think attention shall we call it that females tend to receive in Egypt from some males.
I would say just a bit of common sense and you will be fine, wear sensible clothes covering the top of your body and nothing too short or skimpy when out and about away from the hotel.

Hope this isn't too much for a first post lol

You just ask away
Graham
Thank you!

Totally understand what mean by attention - and know what Egyptian men can be like one thing will def be very wary off!
Hi Nicnac, I went to Sharm by myself 3 years ago as my friend had to drop out for family reasons the day before. Though it was not the holiday I anticipated I still had a lovely time.

Fortunately I had some good books with me as well as a puzzle book which came in handy, especially if I was in a restaurant waiting for a meal. By chance I had also decided to take my laptop and had downloaded some programmes from BBCiplayer. That also meant I could keep in touch with home as many restaurants offer free wifi.

Yes, I did attract some male attention from those who thought I might have been there for Shirley Valentine moments. However it depends how you deal with it - being confident, friendly, assertive but not rude goes a long way in that sort of situation. A dark pair of sunglasses can help too!

I was staying B&B in Naama Bay and was comfortable trying different restaurants every night. Taxis were no problem either. There were few English in the hotel so I did spend a lot of time on my own but was ok with that as there was plenty of snorkelling off the beach to keep me occupied. A snorkelling trip arranged with the travel company gave me the opportunity to have some company.

I would happily go by myself again (but my husband not too keen). The only real difficulty I found was putting sunblock on my back. I had to swallow hard and ask a stranger to do it for me!

Have a wonderful time, Regards Caro
I went to Mexico on my own in December, it was my first solo holiday for about 15 years as I normally go on scuba specific holidays with friends. Prior to that I have been to Antigua many times, however having been to Egypt many times on Scubadiving liveaboards I wouldn't do a hotel based holiday as a single female to Egypt - it just isn't for me.
Caro wrote:

A dark pair of sunglasses can help too!

I would happily go by myself again (but my husband not too keen). The only real difficulty I found was putting sunblock on my back. I had to swallow hard and ask a stranger to do it for me!

Have a wonderful time, Regards Caro

Thanks Caro -

I will def remember the sunglasses

And I didn't even think about the sunblock to my back - will let you know how that one goes!
Well done for having the confidence to go by yourself. I absolutely love Egypt and I'm sure you'll have a great time. There'll be plenty of snorkelling and :cheers to keep you occupied :)
Caro wrote:
The only real difficulty I found was putting sunblock on my back. I had to swallow hard and ask a stranger to do it for me!
Fair play to you. I think I'd have come back with a bronzed front and a white back :rofl
Fair play to you. I think I'd have come back with a bronzed front and a white back

Hi Marlou, Didn't really have any choice as I spent most of my time snorkelling with my back exposed to the scorching Egyptian sun! But to avoid any misunderstanding though I never asked the beachboys ;) :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.