Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi bunfer - if you look on the Tunisia forum you will see Tunisia tips which has a lot of very wise info on ladies visiting Tunisia. Many female visitors to this country have their own experiences, but personally I have always felt safe and never been harassed - possibly because I am 64 and well past it and always have Frank in tow!! :( jenny x
Hi Jenny

Thanks for the reaction, nice to know I will be safe, even though I don't have a Frank ! Bumfer
Hi
I have booked 11 days in the Occidental Allegro in Monastir. Has anybody been there recently and can advise me about excursions etc. I have never been to Tunisia before, and travelling alone, I like to be prepared.

Any info is welcome
Lynn
Hi Bumfer

I went with a 'Pete' in tow but he opted to spend 8 days in a Tunisian clinic leaving me on my own. I felt absolutely fine and safe alone even getting taxis late in the evening from the clinic, it does help if you dress discreetly.

Patka
I've been going there alone twice a year for many years and feel safer than in my local town. Despite being of a more 'mature' generation you may still get a certain amount of attention but it is good natured, and never threatening. I guess that you, like me, are unlikely to be walking through the Medina in a miniscule skirt and boob tube which, not surprisingly, does cause a few comments. :lol: Please don't go out there and spend all your time in the hotel, however nice it may be. It is a great place to explore. If you get lost taxis are cheap to get you back to your hotel. Have a read through some of the advice on this forum and if you have any specific questions I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you.
I think your hotel is very near the train station so use that to get into Sousse or out to Mahdia etc. Fares are 'cheap as chips'. You must visit the Mausoleum of Habib Bourgiba at Monastir whilst you are there as it is absolutely fantastic - all gleaming gold and marble.
Aslemma
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly what I need, tips on where to go and how to get there. If you have any more for me, much appreciated. Iwill also leave my mini skirt (which I have had since they first came into fashion) at home !!!!!

Lynn
Just try and learn a little bit of Arabic before you go, particularly the important things like "la, gahli barcha" (no, too expensive) and "ma fish filous" (I've got no money). :rofl Joking aside, there is some useful vocabulary elsewhere on this forum but I can't remember exactly where. If you can manage a few words it at least gives the impression that it is not your first trip, which can be quite useful, particularly around the Medina.
I wasn't go to put anything in here as I didn't want to come across as being negative but I have to say I didn't feel safe at all whilst I was there. I walked down the beach with my 9 year old son on our first morning and was hassled by the vendors (which I expected) however when I said "no thank you" and tried to walk away he grabbed my arm quite roughly and started shoving his soft toys right in my face.
I also had a really bad experience with a man impersonating a security guard but really don't want to say too much about it except that I was modestly dressed and had been nothing but distantly politte to him, also, my older son was within 30 feet of us at the time but that didn't stop him.
I guess it's like anywhere you just have to be vigilant but I've never felt intimidated abroad anywhere like I did there.
Elle xx
Thanks for the input Elle. It is beter to go prepared for all eventualities and not just expect everything to be perfect. I will take your warning on board and be vigilant. I am sorry that you had such negative experiences, and I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Lynn
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience Eloisa and I'm quite sure it was nothing you did or said which caused it. It obviously happens sometimes as there are obnoxious people in Tunisia as in any country. This forum is for anyone to put their experiences, good or bad.

I obviously won't say 'don't let it put you off Tunisia' because unfortunately it has already done so but the majority of people don't have any real problems and the banter we get from the locals is friendly. If anything like this does happen to any other ladies just remember to shout very loudly "shooma" (shame on you) and help will come quite quickly.
I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of 'Shooma' said at the top of your voice! I've only needed to do it once - with a market trader who was tring to 'do' me out of my change and took my elbow to try and shove me out of the way. From nowhere, he and I were immediately surrounded by black-clothed elderly women. I explained in weak French that if he didn't have enough small change to give me then I was happy to take extra herbs and spices in lieu of change. He couldn't shove extra saffron into my basket quick enough because he realised that the 'Granny Mafia' was not going to go away until they were convinced that I was safe and happy with the outcome! From the gestures of one of them it was pretty clear he was getting a dressing down on the lines of 'If you were my son, I'd...' I left her to it and went on my way after thanking the rest of her 'gang' :-)

Just remembered that I did it use on another occasion too - when I was with my elderly disabled mother and I made some teenagers get up and let her have a seat whilst we waited for the bus from Monistir back to Sousse. They started hissing at us behind out backs - the equivalent of a wolf whistle - and it worked a treat that time too. Once they realised that I knew exactly what they were doing they became very shamefaced and the eldest not only apologised to us but also to the elderly man whose attention had been attracted by my raised voice too. It didn't stop them getting a telling off from him either.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.