Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Spending Money
9 Posts
Hi brownowl, advising smybody on how much spending money they need is always going to be difficult because we all spend on different things. Hubby and I eat out every day when we're self catering but not necessarily at expensive places. We will buy breakfast out a few days during the fortnight and also a spot of lunch but for the rest of the time we'll make our own breakfast and snacks for lunch. We always eat out every evening and have one or two drinks but never a 'session' :rofl

We generally spend around £1300 for two for a fortnight but not sure how much extra we'd need with 2 kids. Now a lot of people spend more and a lot spend less so that's just my estimate of how much we spend.
Hi Brownowl - as Shirley said, it depends on what you're idea of SC is. Do you make most of your meals, or eat out, and if you eat out, do you like fancy restaurants or just local? What about drinks, trips e.t.c. If you could give us a little more information we could help you more.
Hi - thanks for the replies - we will probably have breakfast in our apartment, light lunch most days and eat out every evening in local tavernas and would probably like to do a couple of trips. I appreciate its difficult to advise but just wondered what the average family of 4 spent for 14 nights??
4 of us are going to zante for a week and have based our spending money on what we know from living in rhodes and what 'tourist prices' are like,we're all taking £500 each but we eat out 3 times a day,drink like complete fish and tend to pay whatever's needed for things like sunbeds etc

probably not much help for you as we're four lads rather than a family but others may be reading i suppose.....food is one thing that's remained fairly cheap in Greece and going for the cheaper options on the menu bares no relation to quality,often the 8 euro souvlaki is better than the 15 euro steak!

I imagine where you'll spend money is on things like soft drinks and ice creams etc in the daytimes,whereas things like bus travel are cheap as chips and even car hire can be very reasonable.
we take about 2k for 2 adults and 5 yr old- that should cover a hire car as well - sometimes we end up spending more, some times a little less. We always do a couple of trips. That said I have no idea how much teen agers spend!
As others have said its difficult to say how much you will need , last year hubby and myself spent around £1000, we dont buy gifts , and we went on trips which we didn't book through tour reps and we used a lot of local transport to get us around,if we were going out for the day then i would make breakfast ,somedays i would make sandwiches or a salad with mash potato or baby new potato's if we were having a day by the pool , but we ate out every evening in local taverna's or in the harbour , i would buy your spirits at the duty free so you can have a drink on the balcony before you go out or when you return , we also used to buy local beers in cans keep them in the fridge and drink with our lunch or of an evening while waiting for each other to get ready to go out
We went to Tingaki, Kos last year and spent £2,500. There were 2 adults and 3 kids (two of them teens). We had breakfast in our apartments and sometimes made sandwiches for lunch to take to beach, sometimes bought snacks. We ate out every night and had a few drinks. We went on 3 trips, booked locally, not through rep. We hired a car for 3 days, rest of time did local transport. As someone else said, a lot of money went on drinks, etc through the day for kids. Lou x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.