Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Just got back from our second trip to Sri Lanka and have thoroughly enjoyed both times. We travelled around the country independently (using the train mainly) and felt safer than travelling around in Britain. We can definitely recommend the Elephant Orphanage and Kandy (the train journey from Colombo to Kandy is amazing). Galle is also interesting and for an unbelievable beach try Unawatuna near Galle.

Yes there are problems with the Tamil Tigers but in four weeks we've not been affected - there is an increased security force presence but it's no more than in other countries - eg Egypt. And let's face it there is unfortunately a problem here now...

Everywhere we went we were asked "Why is no-one coming?" as most of the hotels are less than half full; it's a shame because the country is well worth visiting and there are some really good deals to be had.
we are looking at sri lanka for next feb but cant find any resort reviews.we normally go to goa and love it. is sri lanka similar? the brochures dont even say much about the different resorts just about the hotels.do they have beach shacks to eat/drink at and would it be better to go a/i or bb as we do in goa.can anyone tell me which would be the liveliest resort. sorry such a lot of questions
thanks in advance
MW,

We are thinking of going back to Sri Lanka ( went a few years ago in February ) next June and wondered what the weather was like when you were there.

Jim
bushbaby
I think you will find that the hotel will be where you eat and drink as there is not likely to be much around it.
The weather was quite warm and very humid - both during the day and at night. It very rarely dropped below about 22C the whole time we were there. Bearing in mind that it was the monsoon season for the west coast there was a little rain, but the showers only lasted about an hour and were very heavy but also warm. The streets and other areas were dry again after about twenty minutes...

We had a few days that were out and out sunny, but even on the overcast days it was possible to get burnt (something that I found out the hard way) so take strong sun cream.
Thanks for that.
No problem, have a good time
:wave Hi we are thinking of going to Sri Lanka October/November (Nogombo) on the west coast, and I was wondering :?: what the weather would be like I now there will be some rain but wondering how much, we usually go to Goa but thought I would be a nice change to try Sri Lanka as we have heard many goods reports.

Thanks for your help
:thanks
Glenc
Decided to goto Sri Lanka rather then Goa, paid for the flights and then read this :?

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Sri_Lanka

Post edited due to copyright infringement, link inserted to replace quoted text.
David HT Mod
There is also advice for British travellers from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office ... click here.

David :wave
This is worrying for us too as we are going in Dec

Any other thoughts from anyone?
Personally I wouldn't be too worried. I've been to Sri Lanka six times in the last five years, the most recent being last March and going again this October.
Provided you stay in the tourist areas you shouldn't have any problems. You'll probably come across road blocks manned by armed guards but not much else. The Sri Lankans are a friendly bunch and a lot of them depend on tourism for a living. Go and enjoy yourself, you've got probably got more chance of being struck by lightening or being run over that getting caught in any terrorist activity.
:P Hi all off to Berewela in 3 weeks or less- can someone advise - are there ATM (cash machines) in the resort? we usually use these on holidays everywhere!
need tips on sight seeing, reliable Beach Boy Guides and anything else useful for Sri Lanka virgins!
staying at The Palm Beach Resort anyone just back??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.