Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Gosh... this is a quiet forum!!!! :think
Yes it is a relatively quiet forum, but if you put Dubai into the Search box you will find previous topics.

luci :wave
We have been to Dubai twice before for fleeting visits during a cruise around the Emirates so as yet, have never actually stayed in Dubai (booked for Feb 2009)

We did the Big Bus Tour which costs around £25pp for a ticket which is valid for 24 hours. It really is an excellent way to see the City and the Beach. You can do a City Tour then you can switch to the "Blue Line" for the Beach Tour. The only thing is it takes such a long time to do the full circle. However you are given a wealth of information from the guides so it really is worth it if you want to see as much as possible. If you want to hop and and off and sto at different places, you need to make sure you start very early. You can obtain more information from their website http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/dubai/default.aspx

If you have specific places you want to visit I would think about getting a taxi as they are so cheap in Dubai. Well they were the last couple of years. Only thing now is the exchange rate which is quite poor just now, just like alot of other places.

I am not sure re the Malls being open until 2am, I thought they closed at around 10pm however there may be some open until that time.

As for Hotels, you can stay at The Beach, The City, The Creek and there are some excellent deals on just now. We have just booked the Crowne Plaza Festival City for 6 nights through Expedia for a very good price. Festival City is another new part of Dubai that is eventually going to become a City in itself!

One thing in Dubai, no matter where you stay you will probably be around construction.
Thanks for replies. Bus tours a must....

Can anyone recommend a good/reasonable place to eat, eiher shopping malls or other?
Elle Dee

We have eaten in the Malls a couple of times. The first time was in the Emirates Mall and we noticed a few locals in a restaurant that overlooked the beautiful water feature that has water "dancing" to the tune of Mission Impossible! It was called Cafe Havana and there are a few in Dubai. We had the most wonderful fillet steaks, fresh veg, home made chips, warm bread rolls, water and a Turkish and Latte coffee all for less than £20!! That was in 2007.

Last year we ate twice in the Burjaman Shopping Mall, once was a lunch snack which was a fab sandwich (cannot remember the name of the place now) then in the evening we ate in the Iranian restaurant upstairs which was a beautiful setting overlooking the water features.

Dubai is really a magical place and I cannot wait to go back next month.

We are having a real treat as we have booked an "indulgent afternoon tea" at the Burj Al Arab. Very expensive, but hey you only live once and to actually be able to get into the Hotel is a dream but have this tea in the Skyview restaurant will be a real wow factor!

Wow how spooky, just as I typed this there is an advert on STV for Piers Morgan in Dubai which will be shown soon. Just showed the Burj Al Arab!!
Gee, just seen the Piers advert too!!!!! Re the Burj tho, I was talking to a colleague that said you could only do the afternoon tea on a Friday, and we are there Sat - Mon (: Three of them actually did the Atlantis for a meal, main and started plus wine for £200, so I suppose thats not bad - we priced two rooms for three nights which came out at £6000!!

Thanks for info on shopping malls, this is where we want to eat as will do the open top bus to do the city/beach area first day, malls in evening and will eat there, looks like they will will be fine from your reply, and the girls can shop whilst we while away our time over a bottle of wine! Want to do pool or beach second day and malls probably on second evening too - reckon the girls will in there again!

Will be seeing Piers and Simon on Wednesday... got tickets for Britains got Talent in Glasgow!!!!

Cant wait for Dubai/NZ/Sydney.
We have got the Burj tea booked for Tuesday 10th February at a cost of 395DHS per person :omg which works out about £70. However, it is a 7 course tea which consists of a glass of Moet & Chandon, finger sandwiches, selection of pastries and petit fours, home made scones and preserves 50 different choices of tea and premium selection of coffees. From what I have read it is an amazing experience and after that you are quite full so would not need another meal. So that is tea sorted for one night!! I booked direct with the Hotel and when I gave them our dates we will be there, they allocated Saturday 14th Feb and the cost was 425DHS per person. We are actually flying home that day so got them to change it. Not sure if it is more expensive being a Saturday or being Valentine's Day. One thing is does say in the email is that under 21s are not allowed so if you have children with you then this would not be possible.

As our Hotel is right next to the Festival City Mall we intend taking our breakfasts and meals in there and again, we will look for where the locals eat and leave out the Burger Kings, MacDonalds etc!! Not sure if you will get wine in the Malls though as I think it is mainly Hotels where you can purchase alcohol.

There is quite alot of information on Dubai on Trip Advisor if you haven't seen that already.

Enjoy BGT and look forward to seeing Piers in Dubai!
what a great place dubai is, went there last year & stayed in jumeirah beach hotel, went in june far too hot, did the big bus trip but glad to get off because of the heat so take plenty of WATER. Also try ski dubai sking on real snow indoors -4 while outside is 35+, sure you will enjoy it. Im going to Miramar Al Aqah Beach Resort in Dubai in september for 10 days as any one been there or heard any thing about it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.