Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
go for it Maggie! Bangkok is a brilliant place. We first went there a few years back for 2 days only as I didn't think I would like it. How wrong I was. Traffic IS bad but as long as you pick a hotel near the Skytrain you will be able to get around easily enough. SOME locals wear masks but no more than I have seen in other busy cities. I have never been bothered by the pollution- infact it hasn't even crossed my mind when I've been there.
As for eating outside- most restaurants are indoors, more to do with this being a city rather than a resort. Food in Thailand is fantastic.
How long is your stopover? If it is longer than a few days you might also consider Penang or Bali.
Thanks for that Fiona. Stopover would probably only be 2 nights (3 days). Just to break the long flight and give us a chance to see somewhere different. Have been to Bali (loved it) that is why we would love to see more of Far East.
I have been to Singapore and BKK. Loved Singapore but BKK is way ahead in my opinion. I think you should go for it!( Away from the Far East, there is Dubai as a possibility.)
Depends on which airline you are travelling with, Thai and Malaysian air have the best economy seating. If travelling with Malaysia you can have a stop over in Kuala Lumpur which I think is rapidly gaining popularity as a stopover destination. There are some lovely hotels which are not as expensive as Singapore.
Hong Kong is another possibility.
bkk
We went to Bangkok in March and loved it - still talking about it and can't wait to go back. Fiona is right , as long as there's a skytrain handy you can go anywhere.
Without a doubt I would go for Bangkok, it is an amazing city - my favourite place in the world-such an assault on the senses , fantastic sightseeing and shopping, the hotels are top notch too, I would give it a go.
Hi Haven't actually stayed in Thailand but everyone seems to love it. When we flew to New Zealand we have a stay over in KL and Penang which we loved, penang is a great place with plenty of good food and the people are so
friendly.
I would second Penang. Can't speak for KL as haven't been there YET!
If you fly with Malaysia Airlines to NZ or Oz they will give you a free return flight to Penang from Kuala Lumpur including hotel transfers. If you don't fly intercontinental with Malaysia the flights within the country are really cheap. On my last trip to Oz I had an overnight in Kuala Lumpur on the way out and three days in Penang on the way back .
we went to new zealand with malaysian airways and had a free stopover in langkawi which was great ,on the way back we had a stopover in kuala lumpur which we also enjoyed syaying in the mandarin oriental ,sheer luxury. two year ago we went to australia and had a stopover in bangkok it really was incredible ive been there twice and its my favorite city so go for it,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.