Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
And, just in case anyone has a grievance with the authorities re. treatment by authorities in terms of driving, then here are the contact details for dealing with that grievance (bold point 38)

http://goagovt.nic.in/charter/files/transport/charter.doc
Hi

I got pulled yesterday going into Panjim just over the bridge i showed him my international licence and he said i was not supposed to drive a vehicle on white registration plates because i could not possibly own the vehicle, i said no no i have all my paperwork so don't try that one i went back to my jeep got the paperwork and showed him, the woman inspector who was sat in front mumbled in hindi "let him go" so he then asked where i lived and i said its on the paperwork did you not see it when you read it, i told him and he asked do you own the house and i replied yes he then told me his Lady inspector is selling one and would i like to buy it, i moved on promptly, stick to your guns if you are in the right because as Max says you can always ask to go to Panjim police station and take it up with thier superiors and the answer will be carry on on your way sir.

Mike
Interesting posts.I was going to get an International licence for the first time this year now not so sure.

Papa
hi
i always wear an helmet ,it is ok to mend a arm or leg but more difficult a broken head never mind the law think safe,and papa do get an international driving permit
i got stoped also going to Mapusa in jan 09 he asked for license and where i was from then i got out the international license, and he looked at it quickly then said go.
so i would advise getting one 5.50 to saves the hassel of money etc
he didn't look to pleased when i pulled it out of mi bag :D
thanks for that phoebe..
we always get stopped in the car going to palolem and get sick of it... the other day the officer said to O/H after seeing all our papers were in order 'I only stopped you as you had foreigners in the back' :duh (my friends) my o/h is of Indian origin and if he didnt speak would be mistaken for a local!! .but its very bad , a few minutes after we were pulled over again (not usual) this time when we said we had just been stopped and everything was in order a few mins before, he said I dont want to see your documents, i didnt stop you for that i saw you were breaking the law by smoking..it seemed he thought well theres nothing in it for me there then so i will try another tack!!!.actually the roll up was out.. but he got very uptight when we explained that and he said 'you can go to the court in Vasco' and got his pad out..anyway, I said 'O/h just give him 100 rupees ' as i felt he was determined to 'win'... one way or another...he then said ' I dont want your money' and proceeded to get even more irate lecturing us on the dangers of smoking whilst driving, and he said, 'worse still we were lying to him' and he really was unpleasant,( I am not arguing one way or another on the truth of the dangers of smoking whilst driving)... but we always thought you could smoke in a private vehicle whilst driving, but not a taxi, commercial vehicle??

so after a lengthy, intimidating talking to, we just bowed out.. and agreed with him' and he held his hand out for the money... I just wanted to get on and had urged my o/h to just 'pay up' leave it..my friend in the back was unwell,. but he (o/h) spent two days stewing on the injustice of it.... have since asked a lot of locals and they all say he was wrong and we should have asked for his number etc but to be honest, I just find them so intimidating and after some of the stories you hear they just terrify me!! you can be 100% right but if they decide you are not going to be???
its just how they make me feel...threatened
I have to say we rarely get stopped now here in CCB stretch, particularly on the bike, but do occassionally as TAZZ did on the mapusa road, for us its mainly in the car and mainly in the south (Hi TAZZ ;) home safe then!!)
chilly
  • Edited by chilly 2010-10-19 15:38:46
i got stopped on the way home at around 1am over new year
drivin down baga rd on way back to hotel a police bike pulled me over and asked for license .gave him my uk one and forgot it did not have the bike symbol on it,,,told me there was a problem and had to go to vagator police station i said no he said yes and so on for a couple of minutes,,,,
said we can sort this out he said how so i asked what he thought he said 2000 ,,i said he was having a laugh and said no...
he said pay up or police station i said i had 100 but then realised i prob had 100 times that as i went to the bank earlier that night so said i had no m0ney and said thats it..
he asked where my hotel was and i said up the road and he waited for another 5 mins and knowin that he would not get a penny out of me he let me go..very fortunate i think.....

ps...sorry for all the i said he said..just read it back to myself and thought they are a lot,,long day at work and ive just "SAID" to myself im not changin it :rofl
Bottled it.Just applied for one.

Out of interest if we hire a bike should it come with any papers that we might get into trouble for not having.Had a bike for the last couple of years but only ever went CCB stretch so never worried.Planning to go a bit further afield so any help appreciated

Papa

Papa
I'm puzzled with Max13bikers quote that helmets are only required on the NH17. I' have thought that in Goa of all places, wearing a helmet would be an essential, judging by the standard of driving. It seems that the only thing that concerns people when they rent bikes in Goa, is the worry of getting stopped by the police, and being given a paltry fine. Judging by the ammount of "walking wounded" I've encountered over the years, thats the least of your worries. The vast majority that rent bikes in Goa , have little or no experience in riding them, no reasonable insurance, and in most cases their Travel insurance will be rendered null and void, and will not cover them in the event of a serious accident. Still if they have an International Driving licence they'll avoid a 200rps.fine, so thats ok then. Alan
You only need to wear a helmet when on the NH17.
So if you want to go to Panjim, take the Nerul - Betim road, then cross on the ferry, thus avoiding the bridge.

Shall I rephrase that for you Gramps?

It's only compulsory to wear a helmet when on the National highways - and even then it's only the driver that has to wear a helmet.

I've been riding bikes for 46 years and have always worn a helmet - even in the 60's when it wasn't compulsory.
I leave two helmets for me and my wife at the guesthouse for when we are in Goa.
However, I can appreciate why some people don't like wearing them when in the tropics - it gets fekking hot!

Oh and by the way - my travel insurance covers me while riding motorcyles. ;)

Thanks for your concern. :tup
my travel insurance covers me while riding motorcyles

max13biker, thats interesting as i have never yet come across travel insurance that does, can i ask who you insure with? thanks
Chilly
You must be the one in a hundred that wear a helmet then Max, and very sensible too. I agree with Chilly you are very lucky with your travel insurance, I,ve never been lucky enough to have insurance as good as that, certainly the ones you get from the travel agents wont cover you when hiring scooters of roomboys and the like. Alan
I get free travel insurance including riding m/cycles up to 125cc from my bank - Alliance & Leicester.
It also includes scuba diving to 30 metres and white water rafting to cat. 2 but only up to 30 days. :)

For my ski-ing trips I get free travel insurance with a free winter sport upgrade from my Lloyds TSB Platinum Account & thats up to 45 days. :tup
I haven't paid for travel insurance for at least 20 years. :rofl
AA travel insurance also covers riding a bike (and over 125cc to boot) BUT be aware that this ONLY APPLIES if you are licenced to ride them in your own country...
So going to Goa without having passed a test and obtaining a bike licence here in the UK, will mean you will NOT be insured to hire one or ride one over there.
The rental places shouldn't even be offering them to non qualified riders.
Even with Travel insurance that covers up to 125cc (as most do) If you fall off a bike in India and you haven't passed a test in the UK, your travel insurance would not fork out for medical/legal or whatever else may be required.
Hi I have just read the grim reapers comments regarding travel insurance with Alliance & Leicester ! beware..A&L only give "free" European cover and NOT worldwide cover this is an additional premium,and,you are only covered for 180 days ,also,I dont think you are covered for riding mopeds in Goa with insurance in this country,and,we have an international driving licence which seems to be accepted by the Goan police if stopped,this can be purchased at the post office counters in England.
Thank you Grimreaper, I thought I was a lonely voice on this subject. The vast majority of people who hire bikes in Goa do it off roomboys, and the like, and are riding without a current appropriate U.K. licence, consequently they are driving without experience, and insurance. I'm amazed at the people on this site who actively encourage this crazy practice. Would they sett of without the appropriate documentation and insurance in the U.K? If not, why put the life of others at risk in Goa. There are a VERY few experienced riders who do rent in Goa, so if you are one of this small band, I'm not getting at you, in fact, you are the very ones who I would expect to be posting here to advise in the strongest terms against this crazy and foolish practice. In the worst case scenario where will the £50,000 or so come from if you finish up needing to be Medivaced home? your insurance is null & void, and I cant see the roomboy or whoever you dealt with coming to you aid, or what if you kill or injure a local? Those are the sort of issues that should be addressed before you contemplate hiring. Alan
I had my bike picked up while i had parked it in Panjim. There were no signs or roadmarkings where I had parked and just caught them as they were carting it away to the police station. I asked the police officer where the sign was and he didn't say anything. I walked (thankfully not that far) to the police station to collect my bike and noticed that he had wrote that I had parked on the path (which I hadn't), so I explained this to the officer at the station who in the end told me to see the inspector, I sat down waiting for him and the original guy came back in and spoke to the 2nd officer and saw him and he changed the offence saying I was in a no parking area! - This really annoyed me so ended up calling him a cheat and waited to see the inspector. 15 minutes later saw him and he was very good, heard my side and I said that the original policeman changed the offence etc so I didn't have to pay the fine! - I would like to thank the officer in the police station who was honest enough to say that his colleague had changed the offence (thanks!) - If i have done something wrong I will pay, if not - NO CHANCE! Some police cars have speed cameras in them now so try not to get caught speeding! - I got caught once so said 'fair cop', also said to them you'll probably catch me again! ;) - Anyway, do get an international licence, makes life easier, but like someone said it only covers you for a bike if you have a bike licence in the UK! But most police officers can't tell the difference.

Do wear a helmet on the highway, gives the police one less reason to stop you! Saves hassle (and possibly your life). To be honest I prefer to ride without, my personal choice but I always wear on the highway! Most fines shouldn't be more than 100 Rs/- Also get a receipt and make sure they haven't put a bit of cardboard between the sheet you sign and their carbon copy!!! If they have remove it and re-write over the amount, or bring it to their attention! - A good way for them to get a few etc bucks!

Hope this helps

Be safe!
Just checked my free travel insurance again - A&L is only European but used to be Worldwide, it's only for 31 days each trip and only valid up to age of 65 years.

My Lloyds TSB does cover me when using a scooter - because I have a valid license, and it's Worldwide for 45 days each trip.
It also provides cover up to 80 years of age - so I'm OK there. :tup
Can we get back on topic - any more funny stories about being stopped by the police? ;)
Sorry Max but i need to make something clear to everyone who has not passed their bike test in the UK the AA will not stamp you licence with five stamps only four and THE POLICE NOW KNOW ALL ABOUT THIS it happened to a friend of mine in monsoon and he was pulled by the police in white shirts and blue trousers, but they have now informed the police in the brown uniforms.

I have manged to get around this little problem and anyone who wants any help can PM me but you must have some experience on a bike otherwise it would be foolish of me to help you.

I got stopped again the other morning at 2.30am on the Candolim to Nerul road, the YOUNG policeman asked me for my licence and i said it is all in order officer, he then said have you been drinking, i replied of course it is 2.30 in the morning but i have not had a drink since 11pm and not had too much, he stood talking to me ASKING FOR MONEY and i refused point blank, his inspector saw what was going on and came up took the licence off him and said to the young policeman i know this man let him go on his way on i went so it shows you they can be fair when they want to, the best way to treat them is to wave as you pass them if they are stood or sat at the side of the road then they get to know you and won't bother you, that was how i got to know the inspector who was there at the time of the pull.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.