Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Sun cream
17 Posts
i asked this too, yes it is, but it will also depend on what you use too, someone posted that tesco was seeling teir own brand of sun cream off at 65p a bottle,
:)
I'd like to know the answer to this also, I want to take things over for a particular charity, but I don't want to waste valuable luggage space on things that would be cheaper in Goa... eg shampoos conditioner soap sanitizer etc.
I am being allocated 20kg extra ....thanks
Toiletries are cheap enough to buy over there, not cheap by local wage standards but cheap enough not to bother with taking it with you. Sun creams, not sure as I haven't bought this over there, usually take our own preferred brand from here.

If you are taking stuff for a charity I would suggest that you get written confirmation from your carrier that you have been given permission to take an extra 20 kgs. I have been caught out by this in the past, was told it would be on the computer when we checked in........it wasn't, the girl at check in didn't believe a word we said and there was a bit of a hoo hah, we DID get it through so the charity did get there stuff but I haven't taken stuff since. (other than for families I know) I was not happy as the airline we used then actually promoted the charity that we were taking stuff for, we had heard about it via the airlines own bumph. :duh I now contact a local charity direct and ask them what they need then buy it all out there, this way they get exactly what they need and they get a lot more for the money.
Most of their toiletries are good but I wasn't happy with the conditioner and do buy my first lot of sun lotion over here....other than that no problems

judsmiles

If you're flying with Monarch they have stopped their charity baggage allowance..
Fizzy2, this happened to us as well 2 years ago. We even had an e-mail confirming our extra luggage allowance but because it was not on the computer they were very difficult with us and it took us over half an hour at the check in desk to sort it out. We now try to cut down on our own personal luggage allowance and take as much as we can. I must say I have been quite impressed with myself at how low I can now get my luggage allowance, it is worth it though when you see the children's faces and it means we have lots of space to bring things home.
hi all...

goodness that's bad? :( no Celcat, I'm not flying with them and I have had confirmation. but I was planning to travel light too, thanks for the replies everyone

i'm trying to find out if it's better to collect cash and buy these items there or take the items with me? it's our first trip to Goa so we have no idea.

cheers
so the moral to that is get the allowance confirmed in writing ... noted thank you.
Hi BrenLiz, sorry you had a problem too. We were also held up for ages, it was soooooo embarassing - they practically accused us of being liars........I was furious, hubby thankfully stayed calm or we would never have got on the flight :rofl

We also cut back on our own stuff as I still take stuff for some families I know. Toiletries can weigh in excess of 2 kgs so buying them when we get there means I can get a lot of extra childrens clothes in the suitcase.

Sorry think we are a bit off the original topic :whoops
Yes, I would definitely get it confirmed - just to be on the safe side but judging by our stories this doesn't provide any guarantees. Send a pm to poipleshadow of CWT, he will know what to do.

Yes again, we get cash together throughout the year via various means (no bank robberies though) :rofl and change it to local currency when there (get the best rate you can) then contact the charity to see what they need.
Shampoo - Condtioner - etc etc is fine to buy here in Goa but buy sun products in Uk - Sun Protection and After Sun please bring with you - ok you can buy it here but it is not very good.
Make a space in you case for it - it will be worth it.
judsmiles - honestly just give them the cash - don't bother with all the extra luggage - it gives you hassle and maybe it is not what they want. We had a sponsor child in Goa for many years and the first year thought we would take loads of clothes etc but we found we could get them at Mapusa market for much less money and the kind of clothes they wanted to wear instead of what we thought they would like.
The kids here don't use shampoos and condtioners etc like my 13 year old grand daughter uses so they were also a waste of money.
Our experience is to take your own sun creams and cosmetics, these are things you need as soon as you arrive and depending on where you are staying you may have difficulty finding where to buy them if you have not been to Goa before, there's also the quality aspect to consider. At least take enough to last you the first few days.
narial wrote:
judsmiles - honestly just give them the cash - don't bother with all the extra luggage - it gives you hassle and maybe it is not what they want. We had a sponsor child in Goa for many years and the first year thought we would take loads of clothes etc but we found we could get them at Mapusa market for much less money and the kind of clothes they wanted to wear instead of what we thought they would like.
The kids here don't use shampoos and condtioners etc like my 13 year old grand daughter uses so they were also a waste of money.

thanks, but these are things that have been ASKED for? to help with headlouse prevention.
I don't know what they use for head lice in Goa but if it's something you have been asked to bring it suggests they don't have anything as good as we do......I would take it.
Depending on what shops you go in you can get really excellent sun creams, conditioners, everythings why waste baggage allowance, in Newtons (which is expensive if you live here) they have Boots shampoo/cond, flex etc average about 3 pds or less big bottles, will last your holiday, and sports sun creams and all different brands.
As for nits/headlice there is no lotion/cream here that can kill the buggers, so im sure the charities will welcome some good old UK stuff to kill them. the nits that is!!!!!
Clothes are from rps 35 at mapusa and good brands, tesco, next etc and they are particial for the kids here and you can get alot more for your money.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.