General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Thanks for that Sanji,

Next time I'll put it on after my evening shower and see if that stops it from going bitty.
I know this is a really stupid question but do you keep getting browner and browner or does it stop when it gets to a certain shade? Really sorry for that but just wondering if I need to take a 2 month holiday next time to get to the browness of some of the people I saw in Egypt. (No they weren't Egyptian)

Emma
Hi Emma
I think we have to approach this a different way.....As far as I'm aware and this is the way I understand it, and if anybody knows different, please feel free to correct me.
Tan accelerators were invented to speed up the production of melanin, the tan accelerator itself does not determine your colour, all it does is trick the melanocytes to become active by using a synthetic substance like Tyrosine.

Normally, if you haven't had much sun exposure, your melanin production will be low, but when you go on holiday and start sun bathing, unless you're smothered from head to toe in about 3 inches of total sunblock, you will get some sun damage.
This is usually burning by the UVB rays and the skin becomes red, so in actual fact the skin has already been damaged and the DNA sends signals to the melanocytes to become active, and this is natures way to give some protection because the brown pigment in the melanocytes have the ability to absorb some of the harmful rays. *(depending on how much brown pigment and the size of the melanocytes you have)*

So, if you go away for 2 weeks milk bottle white with a low melanin production, you will "waste" virtually the first week dodging the sun because you're getting burnt and because you have no melanin on the surface of the skin.....you have to wait for the body to trigger off the production and the melanin to come to the surface.
By using a tan accelerator for 2 weeks before you go, the melanocytes are already active and have been tricked into coming to the surface of the skin, therefore you think you have got a better tan, but actually you've acquired a better tan because you haven't wasted the best part of the first week dodging the sun to avoid burning.

Whilst using a tan accelerator will keep the tan "going" because your body is being tricked into making melanin and the dead cells on your skin are constantly being sloughed off, your colour is determined by your genetic make-up.
If you have a lot of the brown pigment with brown eyes and hair, you will tan deeper than someone with less brown pigment and more of the red pigment, blue eyes, blonde hair and a fair complexion....it all depends on your DNA.

To give an example.
If you have an Indian woman with brown skin and you have an African woman with black skin, if they both live on Continents under the same conditions with the same amount of sunshine, why doesn't the Indian woman become black and the African woman become jet black.? ......it's because they will only go the colour their DNA allows them to.

Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2008-09-24 22:28:41
sanji, what an excellent explanation on this subject !!! I think this will now make sense to a lot of people ! I had a fair idea about the way melanin is produced in us and the reasons why some tan deeper than others ( and the fact that as a green eyed mid brown haired lady, I tan nicely, but will never have a deep brown tan ) , as I've said before, this is the first time I have used a tan accelorator and was most impressed, like you say, sanji, I tricked my body into thinking we had a summer !!!!!
cheers,
juby :tup
Hi

Do you know of anything legal on the market that can trick my mind into thinking we had a summer!!!! :haha :haha :haha Don't know how to get smilies.
oscarben, just look back on your last summer holiday pictures, should do the trick ! ( ?)
glad you found you smilies ;)
sorry mods, going :offtop
I've got it now............. :duh

I've got light brown hair and dark blue eyes. I do tan but it takes a few weeks and even then, there are much browner people than me going away with a better tan after only 1 week. :( It's not fair, but that's life I suppose.

Thanks for explaining it all..........again. :tup

Emma
Hey sanji I hardly wear sunglasses and I've always tanned well. I wonder if there is something in that?

I find them uncomfortable.
I always wear my sunglasses - infact I am famous for it among my friends! :haha

I feel a new thread coming on...... ;)
I use a product called P20 as I just fry in British summers never mind real heat, now this has worked for me, 3 times in Egypt does anyone have any experiences? how would it be with a tan accelerator I wonder?

I'd love a real Tan ;)
my daughter is brown eyed, and brown hair, but she never gets a tan, ever.......

i have blue eyes and brown hair and wear sunglasses all the time, and i do tan to quite dark brown.....

good explanations sanja :wave:
this tan accelerator, can you just put it on a couple of weeks before you go on holiday and then just use sun tan on holiday or do you recommend to carry on using it whilst on holiday

thank you
Hi aws, :)

I think it's about 2 weeks bewfore you go in the sun that the makers of Elemis recommend you start with their tan accelerator.

Then, to get the full benefit of it, you are supposed to continue with it afterwards by putting it on before you put
on your sun tan lotion.

Some people also use it as a moisturiser.
milly molly

thanks for your reply, i have just bought some, hopefully i will get a better tan than normal
:wave: Hi Judsmiles, sorry haven't used P20 but my daughter did use elemis in the evening and then Piz buin Once a Day in the morning. This worked really well for her.
Milly Molly

Me and my husband are going to Excellence Riviera Cancun, Mexico for our 25th Wedding Anniversary, we have been to Mexico a few times and have had a good time.

we dont go until april 09 but we cant wait
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.