Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Me losing my rag, never, surprised you did not hear me at home, will phone over the next couple of days xx
Good reply from Linb.
Shack licence fee this season is 35,000rps
Sunbed licence fee is 1,000rps per bed (max 10 beds)
Beer licence is 6,000rps
Fire service fee is 250rps
Doctors licence is 300rps
On top of this electric/gas bottles/ice man, maintenance to the shack and sunbeds/shades,wages to pay - at least 3 maybe 4 staff (or more)
Chef's wages, anything from 4,000 to 5,000rps
Have been told that a lot of shacks (not all) are charging 100rps per sunbed due to the 10 bed max rule.
Ganesh shack prices;
Kingfisher = 80rps
Kings = 40rps
Water = 20rps
Pop = 15rps
Food - no increases from last season.
Shacks that never charged for sunbeds are the ones that had a good amount of customers every day of the season, they could afford not to pass on the cost (different now though).
I can't see how anyone has the sense to compare supermarkets with the shack prices (do you think pubs in the UK could sell at supermarket prices and survive ?)
Just got back and nobody has charged us once for the sunbeds. Just ask before going in if they are free. It not dont go in, simple
hi spike if you read linb reply again she said, If you spend 200 rups give or take a bit my local shacks dont charge for beds, but no one can expect to have a sunbed free of charge if they are not generating any income for the shacks,also im not comparing supermarkets with shacks what i said was if newtons can sell kingfisher for 45 rupees and still make a profit how can bonos be justified in selling it for 100rupees also most of the beer the shacks sell is past its sellby date or very close to so they get it pretty cheap,also do you think shacks overheads are more expensive than a supermarket?and i hope other people will verify bonos shack has 1 small lad running about looking after all the sunbeds most days we could,nt find him or he was busy, every other shack we visited had an aboundance of sunbed boys,what draws people to bonos is the beds are comfortable he has security and most important to my wife the toilets are very clean,my gripe is all these things are great but you pay threw the nose and as i said before if people are happy to pay goodluck but sites like this provide info so people are fore warned.merry christmas and a peaceful new year slan(cheers)
Hello Irishman - I also stated that shacks will not charge for beds if you use them on a daily basis. I also mentioned other posts, these mainly being from people who have returned from there hols and are complaing they have never been charged over the years but now all of a sudden they have been.
If my shack were to double his prices or even charge us (which he doesn't) we wouldn't 'up-sticks' and move on, we would support them through the troubled times they are going through.
I have not come on here to start arguments or have a go at anyone in particular, but it annoys me that people can be so miffed at having to pay a fee that in my opinion is justified for there own livelyhood.
My posts have been aimed at all, not just at one person - so no upset caused (i hope).
Seasons greetings to you and Colleen and hope you enjoy many more years in Goa - same go's to all really, get yourselves out there and enjoy the place !
Good point spike But... if they know people will pay the prices can you really see them dropping them next season when hopefully numbers will be back up??
Just got back on Sunday. We dont use a regular shack. We must have gone in 10 different shacks and nobody charged us once. They are begging you to go in with the offer of free sunbeds.
Thats good. I think they want your business so badly that many places wont try this.
I am more than happy to pay 50 rps each for a sunbed and support Ganesh shack that I have used for many years. I have always been aware of the cost of sunbeds, however to share my holiday with the people I have met previous years and meet new people year is worth the small cost

I think everyone has there own opinion and no one is right or wrong it is personal choice. However I would be annoyed if I was not told there was a charge for the sunbed and then it was added to the bill as this takes away my choice. So as others have said "ask" and if there is a charge and you are unhappy with it, move to another shack.

I am happy not to be up at the crack of dawn to reserve a sunbed at a pool or beach, which I have had to do in other destinations/hotels e.g. Egypt, Cuba, Domincan Rep, Brazil etc and pay the small cost for my bed to be waiting for me when I arrive at the beach at whatever time

Merry Christams to all HT's and I wish everyone Happy Holidays as they are what you make them!!
On the subject of the dreaded sunbed bagging, I'm afraid its arrived in Goa, and the limiting of the number of sunbeds will only worsen the problem. The shack we use, even last week, with all the reduced numbers, had the boys putting out the towels of all the regular customers, and with the reduced numbers of beds it means no spare sunbeds by 8.00 am. It did'nt bother us as we are early risers and have breakfast there, and they left our beds for us, but popular shacks with lots of regular customers, I can see a problem ahead for the shacks. It was ok when beds were plentfull, and it saved you lugging your gear home, but now I wonder. Some of the big shacks went over the score with beds, but the limitation now to 10 or 20, or whatever number the police have decided on, is just too small for most shacks with a large return clientele. Alan
Hi spike thank you for your christmas greeting and you and your family have a merry christmas and a peaceful new year,we are back to goa in march cant wait maybe our paths will cross sometime and we could have a pint or five :rofl.slan(cheers)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.