Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Sunbed charges!!
75 Posts
Cliff's Shack between Baga and Anjuna had a sign up charging 50RS.

Personally I'd just get my lunghi spread out and not use a bed in that case.

I can't believe that even more shacks are going up! Most of the shacks will not break even this season.
Name and shame.... But make sure it's the workers who are saying that - you could even check with the shack itself as there are lots of people who 'try it on' especially if you're new to Goa....

Don't pay for beds! - I THINK it's actually against the law to charge....
Last March we saw lots of charges, when we asked our local shack (who were advertising 100rps for a sunbed) they just said "not you"... but we heard them charging and taking money from other people.
Should imagine it will apply to the day trippers who bring most of their own food and drink and from what i've seen speak very rudely to the shack lads.
I remember last year a lot of the shacks in Candolim were charging, I wouldn't pay, if they want your custom for food and drink they should use their initiative, does that translate into Indian :rofl :rofl
Walked all the main Baga, Calangute and Candolim beaches today and no signs up anwhere re charges, We certainly would'nt pay. Alan
we got caught last year, ate and drank all day in the shack (cant remember the name) and when we got the bill we queried the 2 x 50 rupees charge and they said that was for the beds, we were not too pleased and said we didnt want to pay but they wouldnt have it, and said we had to pay so on principal we didnt leave a tip (which we always do ) and said that we would not be back again, they had seen the last of our custom.

we then found a shack that gave us free beds and were glad of our custom !!!!!! :tup
we have a favorite shack in Morjim. :tup this year i will be saying to them, if you don't charge us to use the sunbeds, i will continue to use the shack. if you insist on charging, :( i will not.
hope it works, they do a great Tuna!!! :fish :glynis
BOB
Jane, reading your story, I'm just amazed at how short-sighted some people really are!

For the shack owner to insist on charging 100 rps for sunbeds and as a result of that they lose a tip and your potential custom for the rest of the holiday is just plain crazy and stupid business sense.

We have always used the same shack but wouldn't hesitate to 'vote with our feet' if they insisted on charging us for sunbeds.
we have a favorite shack in Morjim. this year i will be saying to them, if you don't charge us to use the sunbeds, i will continue to use the shack. if you insist on charging, i will not.

Me too, but at any shack not just my favourites.
I really don't mind paying for a sunbed, EXCEPT, that they have always been free!
Also found a great shack at Morjim last December, and stayed there for a couple of nights, they did a superb Rock fish, Blue Waves it was called. :tup
Never, ever payed for a sunbed anywhere in Goa. :sun2
Never payed for a sunbed anywhere, I just get off them and lie on my towel on the sand when they say you have to pay :rofl :rofl :rofl
we have been using a little shack near our house in candolim recently and the other day they came and said 100 rps bed, i made to leave and the owner told the boy no, not us, we didnt have to pay, but he hassled me all afternoon, bringing the menu down and asking if we wanted to order food, i wasnt hungry at this point but kept ordering drinks... even a mocktail i didnt want :rofl but made me uncomfortable and so wont be going back!! perhaps we dont spend enough :que
chilly
perhaps we dont spend enough

The Goans have never understood the concept of loyalty. No business sense whatsoever.
to charge customers who use the beds but dont buy drinks and food is probabaly very fair but to charge customers who do is just pure greed
sharon
As soon as we sat on the sunbeds we always ordered a drink, if they said there was a charge I would just get up and leave.
we have been using a little shack near our house in candolim recently and the other day they came and said 100 rps bed, i made to leave and the owner told the boy no, not us, we didnt have to pay, but he hassled me all afternoon, bringing the menu down and asking if we wanted to order food, i wasnt hungry at this point but kept ordering drinks... even a mocktail i didnt want :rofl but made me uncomfortable and so wont be going back!! perhaps we dont spend enough :que chilly

Your right there Chilly, sometimes you just aren`t hungry in the heat of the day and we uncomfortable being pestered with the menu every half hour. We went to a shack in Ashvem (can`t remember the name) and told the waiter we would have food later and if we wanted more drink we would call him, big smile on his face everytime I looked round and waved him over, never once pestered us but was always waiting for the nod :tup
Edit: Sams Shack it was.
I am just going out for the 12th time, only once asked to pay for the sunbed and that was 2 years ago in candolim we never went back on to the beach and have never been to candolim again. Danny
Candolim beach last year, most of the shacks seemed to be charging for sunbeds.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.