Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Sunbed price
6 Posts
I always prefer spending the money on Mythos than on sunbed!!!

Anyway, I like to feel the hot sand under my towell...good for women`s health.

Enjoy in your Mythos,
Dudi
You should go to Vrika Beach on Anti Paxos. Sunbeds and parasols are free there, but you feel obliged to buy at least a drink or two from the taverna owners in return, so you get a comfy spot in the shade, plus an excuse to have a few beers :D
I think the price of sunbeds is in proportion to the demand.
In Kefalonia this year it was 6Euros for two beds and a brolly. What is annoying is the insistence on paying in full even if you arrive late in the day.
Skiathos has it prices controlled by the island council. The new mayor has cracked down on the tavernas, cantinas, and sunbed operators so that they are now all licenced, and in the case of the food vendors meet EC regulations and must now supply toilet facilities.

Sunbed operators pay for their pitch for the season at auction
and are permited to sell the beds but at the official price only. The licences are expensive and they have five/six months to make their money for the year. They can not reduce the price late in the day, because this will undertcut the opposition - punishable by the removal of the licence and income.

Where does the licence money go - Just take a look around at the investment in skiathos this year, new paving on the waterfront, gardens and a new bus shelter at bus stop 4, replacement of the beach cantinas with new cabins. Tavernas forced to upgrade their seating and umberellas instead of the plastic tents on the harbour front, rubbish clearance both day and night.

Things vary from island to island, and the attitude to tourism, in crete this year sunbeds were free but the beach was dirty, vending was from the local taverna who allthough servicing customers on the beach was not eager to clear up after the waste left behind.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.