Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Can anyone tell me whether there are any supermarkets within reach of the hotel, and also what sort of restaurants are easy to get to
Its not actually in La Caleta, its next door to the HT Costa Adeje palace which is at the far end of Costa Adeje past the RIU Palace etc. (ask for a room that doesnt face the HT Costa Adeje coz you can virtually shake their hands as the balconies are so close!!)

You can walk to La Caleta along the beach now as they have made a wooden walkway. There you will find loads of good quality fish restaurants. (i mean all of them sell fish!)

Walk the other way and there are a few restaurants near the Riu Palace and Riu Arecas. One above the shops opposite the entrance to the Arecas which me and Mrs makum go to more than once a month serves the best south american T bones you've ever tasted. UK beef is banned in Spain (along with most of the rest of the world) and the south american beef is soooo much tastier than the Spanish stuff!

Further along the sea front is Del Duque. Very swish places there, as most of the hotels are 5 star plus! Again some nice but pricey restaurants, can be walked to in about 10 mins from the Sheraton.

Another 10 mins and your in Fanabe with more choice than you will ever need. The nearest proper supermarket is on the boarder between Fanabe & Del Duque. The Mercadona. However there are some small mini market type shops operate the Riu Arecas.

I need some Sheraton towels to enable me and Mrs Makum to gain entry (sneak in) on a Sunday to sunbathe. They have white ones. We currently don't! Maybe we should meet? hehehehe just kidding.

:wink: Enjoy!
Makum...you seem very knowledgable on this area. You mention Mercadona supermarket. Am I right in saying that's the supermarket that is below the san eugenio cc, but obviously you're talking about a different branch of it??? We're staying at Riu Adeje at the end of the month - will this be a good supermarket for us? Is it cheap like the one in San Eugenio?

Also do you know if there's any good italian food in that area (near Riu Adeje)...will we always have to walk down to the beach for food etc?

Thanks.
Makum...you seem very knowledgable on this area
Erm that's coz its where I live and work :wink:

The Mercadona I refer to is not the San Eugenio one, but the one on the border of Fanabe and Del Duquè. Is underground opposite the Hotel Fanabe Sur and about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the Riu hotels. You may want a taxi back.

There are loads of Italian restaurants in Fanabe but not in Del Duquè. I don't eat Italian myself so I cant recommend. Sorry.
Makum.....

Don't suppose you know if there's somewhere you can buy english cheese in the area? Only place I remember was near Harley's, don't want to have to go that far! I don't remember Mercadona having it. I'd take some, but since we're going to Bahia Principe first I'm not sure. In saying that they should have a mini-bar at least for storage!

As for Mercadona location....we're staying at the Riu Adeje apartments, isn't that really near the Fanabe costa sur? I take it there are other shops near there, I seem to remember someone talking about them building a shopping centre near Nogal Beach on here a while back???
Don't suppose you know if there's somewhere you can buy english cheese in the area?
Yip loads of places sell Cheddar and other makes. The mercadona only sels kerrygold Irish white cheddar behind the cheese counter. Ask for "Queso Cheddar de Irelandes" kesso cheddar de ire-land-ess". They will then offer to thinly slice it on the machine. Say no if you want it in a lump and she will motion with the knife hovering over the big pack for you to indicate the thinckness of your lump!

As for Mercadona location....we're staying at the Riu Adeje apartments, isn't that really near the Fanabe costa sur?
You are next door to the shopping centre that has the Mercadona in. Its underground - go down the escalator and you step of it inside the store!

the hyper trebble sells pre-packed UK cheeses of the usual types.

Cracking cheese Gromit! :lol:
Escuse me for being daft here....what's the hyper trebble. Is it a hypermarket out of town? We're not planning hiring a car or anything. Unless the weather is really poor or something.

Is the weather a bit better than January last year - it was a real disappointment for us last year, we went on the 28th and had a pretty miserable week!

Thanks for the cheese info....the reason I'm looking for british cheese is that I'm vegetarian.
The Hyper Trebble is a hypermarket which is a bit out of town about 5 mins by car from where you are... At the end of the TF1 motorway in Adeje.

See the weather section for details of current conditions. :wink:
Hi Makum
What's the name of the restaurant you mentioned opposite the Arecas which does the T-bone steaks? Sounds great, and I'd hate to miss it.
Cheers
El Torito. upstairs above the little row of shops. You cant miss it it has a massive neon sign on its roof!

Show Cooking in middle of restaurant on the massive 4 sided griddle. Lovely Steaks. Not the cheapest but well worth it for the good food and ambiance. You never know your luck... Me and Mrs Makum might be in there :lol:
Avoid mid December as we have our Xmas party there. All 110 of us :shock:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.