General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
My son always carries his tablets on flights, in their box with the labels on etc.
If you get a letter from your doc to say you must take this liquid medication and it is only sold in bottles exceeding the 100 ml capacity you should be ok. It's not widely known but there is a tolerance of up to 500 ml for medication in the original container with a doctor's letter and pharmacist's label with your name on it for most liquid meds; DON'T decant it into a smaller unofficial container though.
So as I haven't been to the doctors for it this time and am just using a previous prescription, and therefore won't be able to get a doctors note I could have a problem.

Fingers crossed I'm better by tuesday then!

Thanks for your help, at least I can take my other medication with no problems.
As I don't live in the UK, I may be ill-informed, but why should a doc mind writing a letter for a particular medical condition if the meds that s/he has prescribed in the past are still being to treat that condition effectively even if it's a 'relapse'? :que
But I hope that you feel much better by Monday, let alone Tuesday so you don't have to bring it with you. Or could you wrap the bottle in bubblewrap and put it in a plastic bag and put it in your hold baggage, then you'd only be without it 'between doses'?
Letter from your doc,and I think you bob them in the plastic bag.
An important point has been missed - where are you travelling to/via ?????

Just because drugs are legally available in the UK doesn't mean that they are legal everywhere. For example, people have ended up in jail in Dubai just for having a packet of codeine on them.
for those going through Dubai this should help. I had a medication in Dubai's restricted list and got a doctor's letter to be on the safe side( and kept medication in original container. Never needed it, but at least my mind was at rest. Rachel, you should not be getting a fresh prescription? At the same time, you doctor can give you a note. You probably don't need the note but just in case.
I'm going to Greece so that shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Basically whenever I get the slightest cold I get a really tight chest and can end up coughing so much that I have a bit of trouble breathing. My practice nurse thinks it's asthma that's only triggered by a cold, my Mum who is a nurse agrees, but my doctors don't! I get prescribed a medicine that is like ventolin but in a liquid form. As I had a whole bottle left from last time (still had some left over from a previous prescription so didn't bother opening it) I just started taking it again. As I don't like bothering my doctor over something this trivial when I have the means to sort it myself I didn't bother going to see him. I have long term health problems and have ended up going to the doctors so often that now I have to be on my death bed before I'll even consider it!

Hopefully it'll have cleared up by Tuesday anyway, but if not I'll just wrap it up and stick it in my suitcase.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Sorry for hi-jacking this post, I have just been to the hospital and they have gave me a letter for my doctor for tablets to take for a month. I am going on holiday tomorrow to Hungary do you think this will be okay in my hand luggage and should I get a letter from my doctor as well.

Thanks

Linda
Linda

I wouldn't worry within the EU as long as they are in proper packaging, even better if they have a pharmacy label with your name on.
I have to take morphine in tablet form and liquid form. The liquid is in a 500ml bottle and I packed in hand luggage just with a copy of my repeat prescription and that was fine when customs asked to see it :)
Could you not tip some into a smaller bottle??
It is very important that meds are carried in their original containers with their original labels. If you want to decant something, it's important that the chemist decants it and puts an 'official' label on it. You risk your meds being confiscated if they cannot be immediately officially identifed.
Whose customs???

Meant to say Airport Security and at Check in!

Try taking meds Steve and then thinking straight all the time ;) :que
Actually Customs (in the varying countries) is the one to worry about, all security will do is turn you away or make you dump it - which may be inconvenient but not as much as being locked up!
I have to carry epi-pen with me at all times. When going through security I put it into clear plastic bag, never asked for doctors letter. But always carry it in case !!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.