Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
tax for tourists
18 Posts
Stumped a lot, that one Jenny.

I agree with your sentiment, though I doubt that it will reach the people that really need it. Even the people working as cleaners, waiters, etc, in the tourist hotels have a daily income, small as it maybe, unlike the people in the desert areas.

Here is an interesting comment from the south;
Apparently, the fridges in which the dates, harvested in October/November, are stored to prolong their selling life, are full of imported bananas. As a consequence, the dates have to be sold as soon as harvested, hence the market is flooded, and the price drops. In the south, in many cases, the whole family's income for the year relies on a good date harvest. I would guess the importers of the bananas are making a nice few pounds.

As I said, I doubt it will benefit those that need it.
Hi Kevin, I can well believe your info re the bananas. Do you remember 6 years or so ago, when bananas were a rare luxury and cost at least 1 dinar? You would often see the hawkers on the beach selling single ones to the tourists - now of course you can get them all year round at very competitive prices.
As you know, we do voluntary work in the remote villages during our time in Tunisia and I truly believe that life there will never improve for those lovely people - simply because few people really care. The number of times that our friends in the more affluent areas have remonstrated with us for going to the villages is quite horrendous - and I just cannot understand them. The usual terminology is, 'Why do you go to the people from the blackness?' When I explain that the people are delightful, I am politely ignored!! We can only hope that I am totally wrong in my predictions and we live to see the remote areas at least being supplied with the basic amenities. All best Kevin - Jenny x
Hear, hear!
My sentiments exactly, you worded that in such a fantastic way, I would like to think we could all make a difference, unfrotunately I don't think that we ever will. I've noticed, when surfing the sites to volunteer, that there are no opportunities in Tunisia at all.
Maybe someone on hear could point me in the right direction.
Kevin
If I understood well, the tourist tax would go to the budget to promote tourism in Tunisia.
Hi Gert-Jan - I didn't know that - where did you get the info from? I just received an email from a friend in Mahdia who had gone to renew her Carte Sejour and been told this by the visa officer. Small price to pay though! All best - Jenny x
Hi again Kevin - you are quite correct about there being few organised voluntary associations in Tunisia, despite the rules of Islam dictating that every Muslim should give a certain amount of their income to the poor and support those less fortunate than themselves. We started by visiting a remote village near the Algerian border and buying goats (in kid) for the poorer families - supplying school sundries - little toys etc. - all of which were received with such dignity - it made us want to weep. (our friends have been very generous in supporting us with this.)The Poundshop is an absolute godsend to us - and this year - due to BA's very generous luggage allowance and reasonable extra luggage costs, we are taking 110 kilos of hold luggage. Coming from a very poor background myself (get the violins out here :cry ) I can start to empathise with the lovely people that we have been fortunate enough to meet - although compared to their lifestyle, we lived in heaven!
For those HT members who are new to Tunisia - if you have the space in your luggage and intend to travel to the more remote areas independently, pop into the Poundshop and buy a couple of toys - packets of crayons etc. - small outlay to bring so much pleasure. Think that I am getting very close to breaking the rules of topics being holiday related here, so had better shut up now! Apologies mods if this is the case! Jenny x
Hi Jenny, I think I got it from the "man in the Hat" column on No Marmite.
Thanks for that Gert-Jan - I don't actually read his column, but have just read it. As you say, if the tax is implemented, it will be used simply to promote tourism, so the desperately poor will miss out yet again - who's surprised! Jenny x
For those HT members who are new to Tunisia - if you have the space in your luggage and intend to travel to the more remote areas independently, pop into the Poundshop and buy a couple of toys - packets of crayons etc. - small outlay to bring so much pleasure.

:offtop Sorry mods
Hi Jenny you are absolutely correct in what you are saying, we have found the same in Egypt and pack loads of small simple items that children need but are unable to get, in Egypt and possibly Tunisia also, all books, pencils, rubbers, crayons etc have all to be purchased as they are not supplied by schools.

It is disgusting and heartbreaking some of the conditions that people have to endure in some villages, and I am not only talking about remote villages, some of these villages are only 10-20 minutes away from large tourist areas, not that the majority of visitors to these countries ever see them or to be honest really care either :(
:offtop :offtop :offtop :whoops Sorry, some more mods.

Wow, we've a real strong feeling about this on here, see we're not all just holidaymakers! :cheers
CHEERS

ps, been updating my site lately with the 2006/7 report and a lot more pics, and still going.

2006/7 report

Kevin
Hi kiltman-graham and Kevin - I'll risk another mail -as it is loosely holiday related - isn't it? :think
I am sure that there are many HT members who would do their bit if given the opportunity, but because they do not travel independently, do not come into contact with the more needy people. I have certainly seen guests leaving their clothes and toiletries etc. for the room maids.
I am sure that you will both agree that we are lucky to have seen the broader picture and hopefully learnt valuable lessons from doing so. I certainly have and will no doubt learn many more!!

Thanks for the update on your website Kevin - always of interest to me and Frank as you well know. If you are getting itchy feel again, I may even see you in Mahdia.
All best both - Jenny x

Please don't shout too loudly mods - we mean well ------------- x
Just finished reading your latest update Kevin - as usual - so VERY envious! How I wish that we were 20 years younger - if we were, you'd have another group following you through the dunes! Jenny x
Hi Jenny,

Thanks. I really, really, really want to go again this coming April, but with things as they are at the moment I'm not convinced that I'll be able to afford it. The trip itself isn't the problem it is the loss of earnings for the 3 weeks plus. Oh, how I wish I was old enough to be retired, ha ha.
Regards,
Kevin
But then my friend, you'd probably be like me and Frank -- too physically k-------d to rough it :wink: All best - Jenny x
Hey Briar,
The truth is, when I did go for 4 weeks I had a good job in a hotel, in maintenance, the hotel closed in the winter (Nov-March) and we all took our holidays then. Stupidly, I left and I'm now self-employed, just getting sorted, financially and the damn country goes bust. Ha ha, just my luck. :(
Kevin

I'll be back, don't worry.

Jenny, I'll have to retire early then, yeah?
You are of course quite correct Kevin! After being a workaholic all my life, when Frank was made redundant at 59, I decided to retire at 60 rather than 65 -and despite all the warnings to the contrary ('You'll never settle for retirement Jenny, but be looking for a job after 3 months.') I have never regretted it. OK, luxury meals and daily taxis etc are definitely a thing of the past, but all of our friends are still there - well at least for the 6 months that we are in England!! - only a few of them manage to come to visit us during our time in Mahdia. :wink: I realise that you are still only a Spring chicken, but the time to consider this will soon arrive Kevin - take my word for it! All best - Jenny x
Despite being jumped on from high LOL and offtopic but I am not so sure that things are as bad as this government would have us think

D'you know, I think that you could be right. Went to work at 8.30 am and just got back at 9.30.......
....pm
Didn't earn too much but things are looking up.

......And, my wife has just announced that she has some money saved already toward the holiday, normally all she contributes is her own spending money from the previous month's wages, ha ha.

Maybe it will happen after all. :tup

Kevin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.