Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Ray & Caveman,

Got my fingers crossed for the both of you. :wink:
Could you please tell me approx how much it might cost to get from Naama Bay to Old Sharm we are thinking of trying the Sinai Star one night next week. Would you just get a taxi outside the hotel? Many thanks.
20 LE should be plenty! :)
Hi, we were in Sharm last week and stayed between Old Sharm town and Na'ama Bay, we never paid less that 25 EGP from the hotel to NBay, and usually (even with haggling!!!) it was 30 EGP, they usually wanted 40!!! NBay to Old Sharm will be FURTHER than we traveled, so I would be very surprised (and pleased) to get a taxi for only 20 EGP.
I would have guessed more like 30-40 EGP. Ask your Rep or Hotel Reception for the current 'going rates', if there aren't any taxis outside your hotel (it'll be a miracle if there aren't!!!), ask reception to call you one.
Good Luck!
Thanks Ray P. So much to do and see and only a week to do it all!!
The police were in Naama bay one night when we were there and they were checking on how much the taxi drivers were charging and monitored the drivers for some time. We took a taxi from old sharm to Falcon Hills hotel but discussed the price before we left and the driver wanted 35LE. I told him it should only be 15LE and he argued (quietly) it should be more, at which point I mentioned the police activity at Naama bay the night before, and he very quietly accepted my price! Does anyone know the price of petrol out there? I do...... its 9p a litre!!!! :yikes
We actually kept the same driver most of the time, he parked outside our hotel. The other drivers were not too keen but it was our choice, and he was slower than some of the other maniacs!
Have a good time but don't let them bully you out there!
Chris
Thanks Chris, I will do my best to pay as little as possible. if not I could always trade hubby in for a couple of camels and cheap taxi rides!
It may also be worth remembering when arguing between 15LE and 25LE that it's only 90p difference, to us a can of coke, to the taxi driver quite a lot more....
are a nuisance - i was with my husband - who is egyptian, and works in Sharm - and they try and charge him more when he is with me.

Stand firm - Sonesta down to Naama should not cost more than 20LE. Don't pay anything until you are out of the car! They always try and rob you of change. Ok in our terms there is not much difference, but to a taxi driver its sometimes a double fare!
When we were in Sharm last week we found most of the taxi drivers were ok, friendly and liked to chat-away in English, BUT one or two were nasty and rude, especially if they had "agreed" a lower price for the journey. Also some of the larger taxi's from Na'ama Bay back to the hotels at night will 'double up' with two fares (eg two couples, who don't know each other) going to different hotels, then they will charge each couple the same fare. You can of course refuse to get in a taxi with people already in it. Also, some taxi drivers wait in the street on the approach to the taxi ranks and ask if you want a taxi. If you accept then you MAY be led quite a way to a side street were they have a 'private taxi' parked. This did happen to us late one night in NBay but I just said NO and walked back to the main rank where the old blue-white bangers were.
Overall, you need to keep your wits about you ALL the time, especially after a night on the town in NBay!

Ray.
Has anyone got any idea how much a taxi for 2 adults and a child would cost from Nabq to Naama and back?? And how long does it take each way?? I heard they are cheap but just need a little confirmation.
Yeah, I would like to know this too, I am sure our Hotel is the furthest away in Nabq and am keen to know this, and also does the fare depend on how many are in the blue coffin... sorry, cab! :lol:
Hi,

I am going over to egypt to my apartment this year, I want to know the rough price from sharm airport, to naam bay, sharm.

I normally get a lift with a friend who I know ( in egypt) but he is busy, so I need a taxi.

Can anyone help?

8) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
How easy is it to get a taxi at airport to hotel and more importantly is it safe.
What is the average cost. Staying at Calimera Royal in S.S.

Any advise would be appreciated as this will be our first holiday in Egypt and are still rather apprehensive.

*edit to restore normal font Briar
yes. 7 mins from Airport and 15 mins from shopping malls.
Son & partner are going to Sharm in June and as they want to book hotel and flight separately (as it it cheaper), were wondering whether it is difficult to find a taxi from the airport to Hotel Hauza Beach Resort? Or are there transfers relatively cheaply? How much would they expect to pay from airport to Hauza and also do they need to agree price with taxi beforehand or do taxis have meters?

Cic
From Nabq bay to Sharm and back cost us 90LE in the hotel taxi(Conrad).We went with another couple who were expecting a limosine as this is what it was advertised.It turned out to be an old banger full of exhaust fumes and driven by a maniac!.Needless to say we used the hotel bus after that as it was much safer.Its 35minutes from Nabq to Naama but only 15 minutes back!.
We have booked to go to Hauza Beach Resort with separate flights and booked a mini-bus there and back for 9 of us for £190. £10 each way pp so this is probably dearer than getting a taxi. At least we will all be together and hopefully the mini-bus will handle our luggage. :shock:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.