Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Your OK pierre545...no visas required.

We always change money when we arrive..the rate of exchange especially for Thailand being much better. There are exchange counters at Bangkok Airport. Also most banks have ATM's you can use. We usually take sterling travellers cheques.

In Malaysia we usually go to authorised money changers - banks are OK but I've wasted over an hour in some of them as the paperwork takes time. If your hotel in Langkawi is isolated than it might better to have cash changed at airport ot KL.

I always have the jabs, but then I go to some remote areas.
I think you will be Ok without the Jabs. I am going to Malaysia next month
on my way to Australia and have been told I don't need jabs. I will be spending time in Penang on the way out and KL on the way back. Last time I visited Bangkok I didn't need any, but normally like sunbear I go to way out places/jungles etc., in SE Asia and wouldn't dream of going there without all the necessary innoculations. You may consider having a tetanus jab, you really need that anywhere in the world.
Thanks

Normally I'd venture off as well, but this being our honeymoon, I think it's going to be the hustle bustle of the cities, and then TOTAL R&R in Langkawi. Besides which, most of our jabs are up to date as we've been to Cuba & Kenya in the last two years.

Cheers again
Pierre
Opinions differ about the pros and cons of using ATMs v changing money, but unless you have a current account with Nationwide, who charge no fees for withdrawing money from an ATM anywhere, the difference is fairly negligible.

Personally, just for convenience, I'd use ATMs to get cash in Bangkok and KL - they are all over the place - and make sure you withdraw enough in KL to last your first few days in Langkawi, which might be a bit more difficult, depending on where you're staying. Having said that, after 7 nights tearing around cities, you probably won't want to move from the hotel pool for the first few days! We've always found that we get the best exchange rates and no extra fees by using credit cards, so in Langkawi your best bet is to charge everything possible to your hotel room and settle the bill with your credit card at the end of your stay. Credit card cloning is sadly quite common in Malaysia (I speak from bitter experience), so be VERY careful where you use them in KL and Langkawi - I'll always use cash outside my hotel on any future trips to Malaysia.
Xenosuk is right about using your cards in Malaysia. KL airport is particularly bad so be careful. Some banks here in UK give free currency exchange/travellers cheques, as do some travel agents, post offices and supermarkets and then that works out cheaper than using ATMs. As it doesn't cost me anything I always take a small amount of local currency for each country I'm visiting so I've got cash for drinks, taxis, etc.
I have been to KL lots of times and always take a mixture of cash and STIRLING travellers cheques. I change £100 worth before I leave the UK to use on arrival and change the rst when I get to KL I always use the money changer outlets in the shopping centres as they offer better deals than the bank (they will also change the travellers cheques as long as you show them your passport). I only use credit cards if I make a very large purchase and want the protection, and of course in the hotel when I book in as they swipe it in leiu of a security deposit.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.