Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Kedi, we heard much the same from bar and restaurant owners when we were in Icmeler in June. They said the growth of AI was killing off much of the business, especially from Russian and German tourists, who just stayed in the AI resorts and didn't venture into the other places.
It's such a shame and I hope something can be done about it too. I personally wouldn't opt for an AI deal as I prefer to get out and about and try different places. I think you miss a lot of the country by staying in the one place. Why go to an AI resort and never set foot outside it? You could be anywhere...
Well it's like this if they dont compete with the Ai hotels they will most likely lose the business they run, I also dont do Ai and never ever will, When a bottle of Efes costs 2 lira in a Supermarket and the next Bar/Restauraunt is selling the same bottle of Efes for 6 Lira and advertising it at that price then as you and I know you are being taken for a ride, Turkey needs to control how many of these premises open before it considers anything else, As you know everywhere sells the same types of food at totally different prices, What people have to realise here is that the Turkish goverment has helped these busnisses this year by removing 10% vat from food, This was not passed on to the customers making 10% more in Income from every single meal that you eat, They have to look at themselves and not others whom are making money in the same trade of Food & Drink, Every business in Turkey needs to make money to survive.
The Big AI question!

We first went to Turkiye in Sept 2006 holiday village Sarigerme.
We paid £1700 all in for a family of 5.
Some people think that everyone who choose the AI option STAY in that hotel......Well NOT true.
We went to the local village every second day . Not because the hotel was no good...but because we wanted too.
I did post a review on here regarding our stay if anyone would care to read it. (sept 2006).

Anyway... We spent nearly £2000 during our 2wk visit and this was still having AI option at our hotel.

We gave our money to

Taxi drivers
Dolmus
Local barbers for a shave every 2nd day
Local village shops for our nappies and baby stuff
Local resteraunts
Weekly market
boat trip with the local tour agency
shops for our airbeds and pool toys for our kids
local jewelery
And many more....

My point is that.... not every AI tourist stays in the hotel ,.. But do choose to spend ££££ in the local area.

One Guy I was talking to said he had not done anything in the 10 days his family had been at our hotel, they had only been to the village 2times..
1st time-- weekly market
2nd time-- jewelery shop.

And in total they spent £850
AI hotels do bring in ££££s for locals... Maybee just not enough!.
Locall traders should look at the way they think and treat tourists from the AI hotels.
At the end of the day some ££££s are better than no ££££s

PS

We are going SC this year... and next year for 3wks SC, So our £££s will be well spread all over the place.

Happy hols :sun2
Cheers Gink :cheers
Personally, I have never done A.I before, we usually go self catering or B&B. I am going to Olu Deniz in April next year and although it is A.I, I certainly dont intend staying in the Hotel. We like to get out and about and see as much of the place as possible, wherever we go. The only reason I decided to go A.I this time was because when I was looking for holidays, this particular deal was significantly cheaper than going self catering and I really liked the look of the Hotel. So although I got a cheaper holiday, I will still probably be spending as much money (if not more with the money I saved!!) in the area as I would, had I booked Self catering.
I really do sympathize with local businesses that are being eaten up my large businesses and Hotels but at the end of the day, nobody can fault holiday makers for spending their money in the way that they see fit and where they are going to get the best deal. I do try to put money into local business and economy but not to the detriment of my own finances. It is sad (in fact down right criminal!!) that workers dont get payed if business is bad but surely the responsibility for making sure this doesnt haoppen should fall on the shoulders of the Government rather than on the conscience of tourists.
Cally. ~x~
I really do sympathize with local businesses that are being eaten up my large businesses and Hotels but at the end of the day, nobody can fault holiday makers for spending their money in the way that they see fit and where they are going to get the best deal. I do try to put money into local business and economy but not to the detriment of my own finances. It is sad (in fact down right criminal!!) that workers dont get payed if business is bad but surely the responsibility for making sure this doesnt haoppen should fall on the shoulders of the Government rather than on the conscience of tourists.
Cally. ~x~

well said cally... it must be heart breaking for the hard working citizens of turkey to have to go home without a wage... it certainly wouldnt be allowed to happen in this country, I hope something can be done to help these smaller buisinesses... and soon! :(
Ginkster

I really liked your report. Well said. Sounds similar to what we do.
Ginkster - sorry I should have said that we have not been A/I in Turkey but have been in quite a few other places and like you we most definately do spend.
I never go AI as i don't like queueing for food and I like to get out a bit!! But the last couple of times i have been to Marmaris this year I have spent more in restaurants than i would have in Britain for the same meal. I mean £3.00 for a coffee was quite normal with the exchange rate and they weren't Grande Starbuck coffees!!! I felt we were been ripped off far too often. The number of times an extra soft drink was added to the bill when we had not had a single one or adding 15 % service charge for 2 people eating is practically unheard of in the North East. we did not go back even though the meals were lovely. (this was at restaurants in the marina). Lots of restaurant owners were complaining about AI hotels damaging their buisnesses. You have to ask why are people opting for AI deals. We also heard many people complaining who were B&B, about hotels searching their bags to stop people bringing in water etc to their rooms and people who were intimidated into eating at their hotels every night. Many of these people if they wanted to return to Marmaris would feel better booking AI where they wouldn't feel they had to eat there 4/7 as they had already paid.
It is all very well to say that a/i is damaging small people ,but we have been to turkey about fourteen times now everytime a/i and we would never change ,more people go a/i because they get a better deal and can afford it more ,do away with a/i and the tourists will just not go there in the numbers they do now ,that would cause more damage to the tourism than anything else ,as has been said ,we also spend plenty of money on other things which have been listed .Take a family of mother father and 2/3 kids it costs a fortune for meals ice cream drinks and all the rest that you can just go and get a/i.Do away with a/i and there will no longer be cheaper places to eat and drink as they will all be charging more ,as it is now they try to keep prices down to get tourists into there bars/cafes/rest. Do away with a/i and the only people it will hurt is the tourists .

Bluepeterno1
Hi Bluepeterno1

Re all inclusive I did like Ginsters report and agreed with what he said.

In my earlier post I said I have never been all inclusive to Turkey. However, after reading your post I can see where your coming from. This year in July we stayed 3 weeks in Armutulan area of Marmaris. Couldnt believe how we were going through money. Myself, my daughter and 2 grandaughters were spending a minimum of £50 each day on soft drinks by the pool and the men were spending roughly the same on beers, totalling around £100 per day and thats before we started eating.
Also were having a few drinks out in the veneing before/after meal.

I can understand families going all inclusive if they can reap the benefits of all day snacks and drinks.

We do like to give custom to the Turkish people who work so hard to please the tourists whilst on holiday. No matter where we are, whether it be B&B, Half Board, Self Catering or all inclusive we still spend money very freely as I know how important tourism is to other countries.
Please don't knock AI until you have tried it. We went AI in Olu twice last year(first time we had tried it) and again this summer. It was so hot we were constantly drinking and from the prices in the street that we saw we would not have been able to do that. Especially with two teenagers in tow.
By the way, I have never queud for food or drink AI, I wouldn't go if I had to do that! ;)
AI always seems to be a topic that gets our members talking and sometimes end in a heat exchange of words. What we must remember is that everyone is different. We all what different things from our holidays and all have different budgets.

I have done AI twice (not in Turkey) and one I hated and the other I enjoyed, but in my personal opinion, now my children are grown up and no longer holiday with us, I like Self Catering so we can try lots of new places.

Sarah
I have to say that I don't ever spend huge amounts on soft drinks and ice creams for my children. The older one gets maximum 2 soft drinks a day and they have maybe 2 or 3 ice creams a week. I don't drink huge amounts of soft drinks either, we just drink water. I'm not being mean, it is just not necessary and not healthy to drink vast amounts of fizzy drinks. We don't drink much in the way of alcohol either. Maybe if I did I would rather have it all included...

Yes, we are all different, I just find it very sad that people who have worked hard to build up their businesses over the years are now suffering becasue they can't compete with hotels giving away food and drink.
Yes, we are all different, I just find it very sad that people who have worked hard to build up their businesses over the years are now suffering becasue they can't compete with hotels giving away food and drink.

This indeed is a terrible side effect of all inclusive and I agree it is definitely hurting the resorts.

Sarah
blueperterno1
Have to agree with all you have said.
The AI option is always a good choice for many people.
We done it twice ....Turkey2006...and Crete2007.
Great for the kids.. and easy.. :cheers

WE would think about AI again ...as we had one of the best holls ever when we went to Turkiye.
We would also choose SC in Turkiye without a doubt..

We find it strange to think that the locals blame AI hotels for ,there :duh downturn in trade. :cheers :cheers
I have always done sc, however with 2 children to cater for, last year we were spending £100 a day on a round of drinks and sandwiches and then an evening meal. It makes the cost of the holiday add up and meant that we had no money left for trips etc.

Next year will be the first year that we would have been AI. and although I plan on making the most of the ai option I will still be getting out of the hotel on a daily basis and will prob have a number of evening drinks outside of the hotel. The way I see it is that as it will be cheaper for me to go AI than SC the money that we save will be taken as extra spending money and used to but stuff or pay for excursions.

I hope the businesses manage to survive because it is nice to have the option of sc or AI and I would want one or the other to be my only choice of holiday.
I would argue that the hotels don't 'give away food and drink', this is just what us as customers have paid for in advance!! On the flip side, what about all the staff employed by the big hotels, the suppliers and their staff etc etc. Yes I sympathise with any small trader who is forced out of business by the big guns, but they aren't helping their cause by pricing themselves out of the market.

This year was our 4th AI, although first to Turkey and we did feel at the time that perhaps it would be our last. We felt that as we aren't big drinkers and our youngest had a staple diet of pasta and hotdogs (the other 50 weeks of the year, I stress about what she eats!!) that perhaps we would be better off now the kids are that bit older going s/c. However looking at the reports coming in from all destinations about the cost of eating out I'm back to thinking that AI is the only option.

I have to say though, we hate being confined to the hotel for a fortnight and love to get out and see the country we are in, so do 'spend' outside of the hotel complex. Hopefully as the worldwide economy improves we will see prices drop and trade pickup for the small independants. Unfortunately with the credit crunch, I can only see AI becoming more popular for the forseeable future.

Pam :)
I'm off to Turkey for the first time in October, going self catering but only because that's what I usually do wherever I go. I've been reading various threads about how prices in the resorts have increased year after year and this has led to some people opting to go AI. You can't blame people for going AI if it works out cheaper for them, especially if they've got kids. I sympathise for the local businesses and understand that individually they can't compete with AI deals but I would have thought if prices were to come down in general amongst bars/restaurants throughout the resort, it would tempt people back to going self catering.

As I said before, I've not been to Turkey before, I haven't seen things first hand, and so my views may be rather simplistic but if a restaurant is trying to compete with a large hotel, it has to offer holidaymakers something they won't get at the hotel, whether it be cheap prices, great food, cheap prices, better variety, cheap prices, better entertainment, cheap prices, better service....did I mention cheap prices? A few people have already mentioned one big disadvantage of going AI is that you can end up confined to the Hotel. Bars/Restaurants have to offer those people a tempting alternative.

They might not be able to beat AI deals directly but I think if prices were to come down low enough, customers would return.
I would always go AI in Beleck or Lara Beach as long as it was 5* ultra AI. Its not the food or drink as i am t total its the freedom it gives to my teenagers. I know they are safe in the resort even in the disco in the evening. I dont have to be in attendance.

All sports even the motorized ones were included at the Xanadu. They loved the 24hr room service, i loved the laundry service AI.

As for the shops and markets if they did not hassle you so much then i might go there and shop. This year we did venture into a shop opposite the hotel. The owner started the price for two t shirts at £90.00. I just turned and walked out i was not going to waste my holiday time playing silly batering games. Sorry.

Some people in the hotel did go outside for a meal and ended up in a row over the bill. As it was a table of 15 people the owners tried to add £100.00 to the bill. :yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.