Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hello Pat when we booked the flight number given was Tom 0294 flying on a Saturday from Manchester (3rd Sept). If you look on Thomson Airways web site you will see the flights that have been changed to Thomas Cook.I have just come off the phone to our Travel Agent(Thomson Holiday Shop who still had not been informed of the change) and it has been confirmed its Thomas Cook.
But again Thomson holidays don't consider it a Major Change they are as usual covered in the small print????cancel and lose your deposit.
qatarman,

It's not uncommon for Thomson holidays to use flights by another carrier such as Thomas Cook or Monarch and vice versa. They sometimes have seating allocated on other operators for their own holidays. Your booking conditions via Thomson holidays should still stand in terms of luggage allowance etc as your contract is with them and not Thomas Cook. You'll need to speak with Thomson in terms of seating allocation as you won't have a Thomas Cook reference number to select seating yourself so they'll have to do it for you, especially if you're paid the extra for pre-booked / selected seating. I would agree this isn't a major change unless there's a big difference in the flight schedule (more than 12 hours). Flights with Thomas Cook are pretty much the same as with Thomson Airways other than IFE so you've little to worry about.

Darren
Flights with Thomas Cook are pretty much the same as with Thomson Airways other than IFE

To Darrens' comments, I'd add that I believe there's currently a difference in meals quality between TOM and TCX.
Personally, I much prefer TOM meals - I even liked "Zilligrub" when they did it!
-however I've just noticed that Thomson will discontinue pre-booked in flight meals for all shorthaul flights, starting winter 2011.

And there's the rumour that TOM may also be going to discontinue shorthaul IFE also.

So distinction between the airlines appears to be disappearing....
Hi quatarman ......... Just checked on the Thomson Airlines web site. We are flying from Gatwick and our flight is still showing Thomson aircraft. Hopefully that won't change!

Hi Darren ....... As we have booked extra legroom seats on our flight to Sharm, what would happen if we were changed to a Thomas Cook flight, would our seat numbers still be guaranteed?

Thanks,
Pat
ukbill wrote:
I'd add that I believe there's currently a difference in meals quality between TOM and TCX

That's assuming they've been booked, not all passengers opt for them these days, especially on the shorter legs and probably the reason why they're reviewing wheather it's worthwhile offering them (or not from November I suspect). I would agree that meals onboard Thomson Airways have the edge over Thomas Cook (in my opinion), but I wouldn't say there's that much in it.

ukbill wrote:
And there's the rumour that TOM may also be going to discontinue shorthaul IFE also.

From November 2011 on short haul the way I understand it.

Darren
pat,

You would have to take it up with who you booked your holiday with. There would be no guarantees of extra legroom being available until it was looked in to and rebooked.

Darren
Hi Darren,
not really bothered about the food ect its the sitting together and select our seat that we are more concerned about as my wife is a bad flyer/bad back and we prefer on a 3-3 side by side in the isle.I checked with our travel agent who told me that she called Thomsons for clarification and meals and sitting together will not be charged to our invoice????.She also said that they would be able to arrange seats together???
I dont know if this is a sales ploy or not??
qatarman,

That's normal, I wouldn't worry. It's not much different to you doing it yourself, but since you're flying with a different operator via a travel company, they have to do it on your behalf. I wouldn't worry, you'll get everything you've paid for. Have faith in them!

Darren
With the Travel shop telling us the "Select your Seat" which we payed at the time of booking will not be charged to our invoice it indicates to me that we cannot book this service however they say you can "Reserve your Seat".Hoping for better info from Thomsons as a letter is supposed to be in the post,depending on what that says we will decide if we want to change flights or the holiday.
  • Edited by qatarman 2011-03-31 09:26:00
Hi

Just wondering if you could tell me if our flight will be the old myt series or the new tcx series as there has been an aircraft change for our flight to Holguin (4th May tcx244) I have been on your seat your choice and instead of having 42 rows the aircraft now has 43 (hoping it will be the myt series as we want the belly cams and stuff)

Thanks

Oh... and I loved your pics of cabin on you recent trip very detailed
john.storr,

Aircraft are swapped and changed all the time so we can't say which it will be until the day before. It's looking like an ex-MYT at the moment, but don't be dissapointed if this changes. There are more photos on the way hopefully of the premium and economy cabins as well as downstairs toilet area. They'll be linked from our What Aircraft? guide sometime next week.

Darren

PS when you say 'old MYT' (1999) and 'new TCX' (2001/2), the aircraft are of a similar vintage apart from G-TCXA that was a new addition to the fleet in 2006.
Sorry Dazbo,

Was thinking in terms of either getting the belly cams and downstairs loo vs AVOD and i was thinking that if it had an extra row then it maybe would have space for the loo to be downstairs.

I know it sounds a bit silly getting excited about toilets but it is not something you usualy see on ya regular charter flights is it??
john.storr,

The ex-MYT aircraft are pretty unique in that respect. I can't think of another carrier that ordered the downstairs toilet option other than Airtours. Makes it feel like you're on an A380 or a 747 going up and down the stairs! There are several advantages though. It gives more room on the main deck for seating, limits passengers congregating in the isles and taking up passenger space and cabin crew movements and there are health benefits in helping with circulation for DVT etc walking up and down them. There are toilets on the main deck too (one at the front and one at the rear) for those that may not be able to manage the stairs.

Darren
With reference to my earlier post on Thomsons moving us to a Thomas cook flight.Today i have booked our seat numbers with Thomas Cook Airlines, the method to use is.
Call Thomas Cook Airlines 0844 8550515.Have the following information ready.
Your Thomson Holiday Booking Reference.
Your Thomas Cook Airlines Flight Numbers(Outbound/Inbound) .
Date of Outbound Travel/Date of Return.
They will then log all the details so you can go on to ( https://yourseatyourchoice.thomascookairlines.co.uk/thomascookuk/login).
You can then book your details and pay if required.
Hope this helps.
Darren on the IFE do Thomas Cook have IFE to Sharm or is this classed as Short haul????
qatarman,

It's more a question of aircraft type rather than short / long haul. It's a short (medium) haul flight. I'd need a flight number, but if it's a Boeing 757-200, there'll be no IFE. If it's the larger Boeing 767-300/ER (Winglets), then IFE is shown.

Darren
Ok Darren no IFE as it is a 757 dont know if its 200 or 300 flight number TCX 2562.
qatarman,

It's the -200 to SSH rather than the stretched -300.

Darren
Thank you Darren.
Looks like its out with the Ipad??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.