Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Yes I would say you had a case. They do record the conversations so it would be easy to prove. Hopefully they will come up with a solution.
Thanks Fiona. The sales advisor I spoke to regarding this asked me if I want to change hotels or upgrade to All Inclusive but I would need to speak to a manager about the possibility of doing so. Not sure why I should change where we chose to stay at the last minute nor pay for a hefty upgrade. We'll see what they suggest when they call back.
I would think they would have to offer some sort of compromise. Let us know how you get on
It would be very unusual for drinks to be included on half, or full board. Some hotels do a 'plus' option which includes drinks with meals. Having drinks included on standard half board isn't something that would even occur to me :really

It will be interesting to see what TC have to say!
I have never heard of drinks being included with meals on half or full board and, like Sunaddict, i wouldn't expect this. However, in this case the customer had asked specifically and been assured that they were, therefore whatever would occur to anyone else is totally immaterial. Thomas Cook's sales advisor had obviously given the wrong information, not once but twice, and the suggestion that the client now changes hotels or upgrades to A/I is totally unsatisfactory.
They obviously got mixed up with the sister hotel the Cettia Beach hotel which is AI.
Club Cettia offer AI, as well as half board and self catering. It sounds like the TC employee got her wires crossed somewhere.
That's probably the reason, though not an excuse. The error was on the part of a TC employee and not the client so they shouldn't be able to hide behind 'terms and conditions'. Right questions asked, wrong answers given - end of. Now let's see how TC try to wriggle out of this. :roll:
It probably is a mistake , and mistakes do happen but it is how they are put right , and the OP did check twice and received the same info , hopefully a fair compromise will be made .
We stayed half board at a hotel in Tenerife about 5 years ago (funnily enuf via Thos.Cook) -drinks were included with the evening meal -that is, a choice of red or white wine or a soft drink. The wine was so awful however, very few people (if any!) took advantage - they were better employed on the chips!! :rofl
I am still waiting for a call back from a manager at TC. I was promised 'before 9pm' and then again 'before 10pm' but nobody called. I called again this morning and was told all the managers were in training and not available but should get back to me today hopefully! I'm starting to get the impression they are avoiding my call :think

I have never been half board before, either AI or self catering which is why I asked the question. Had I been told drinks were not included, I would have opted for All Inclusive.

For reference, this is a quote from a Thomas Cook operator via Live Chat:
"As you have booked a Half Board holiday as per the brochure this board basis offers continental breakfast and dinner as standard. It also includes drinks with meals. These may vary depending on the hotel and the drinks can either be alcoholic or non-alcoholic or both". After suggesting the hotel I have chosen may not include drinks, the reply was "Since you have booked a holiday with Thomas Cook with the Half Board option you will most certainly have drinks included in your package and you do not have to worry about this".
I would not say to them that you would have gone for AI if you had known there were no drinks with the meals.
There is a huge difference between HB with drinks( which could be soft only) with dinner, and AI.
You would be better getting them to cover cost of drinks( which will no doubt be soft). They do have to sort this out because they were wrong on more than one occasion, and you have proof.
It will be interesting to see what TC offer. As you would not be wanting drinks with your breakfast ( i presume tea or/and coffee/juice would be provided ) the only problem would be your evening meal!
As the TC livechat indicated the drinks supplied will possibly be soft drinks only, then you will be missing out on however number of drinks per person in your booking would have in however many days you are staying?
Hope you get it sorted out.

Alan
Like brewer dave, the hotel I used for 10 years in Tunisia booking half board - included half a bottle of wine pp or any soft drinks and water. It changed management last year, so don't know if this is now applicable
Still no call back from a manager - getting a bit ridiculous now. Whenever I call to be put through, a customer services advisor takes my details, looks through the notes, asks for details on the problem and says that they will send an urgent email through to the help desk where the managers are located.

I was promised a call by 10pm this evening (just like last night). At 9.40pm I called to try and be put through only to be told all managers had left by 6.30pm! I'm now supposed to expect a call sometime tomorrow.

If this continues in this vein, I'll be going away without any resolution (which I'm sure is their goal). Would there be any point in contacting ABTA to see what they suggest? Not having any luck speaking to a TC manager to resolve this.
why not send an e-mail to your hotel asking whether they do offer free drinks with the evening meal. i am sure they will respond a lot quicker than TC and their reply will determine how you next approach TC
Finally resolved! Got a call (after 3 days of trying) from a manager. He admitted after looking at the transcripts of what had been promised and getting confirmation that drinks are not included on half board at the resort, that it was Thomas Cook's fault. He then emailed a 'senior person' in the company to look at what they could offer me.

Got a call back from the same manager within the hour to offer me a £200 gesture of goodwill/compensation to cover the mealtime drinks we had been told we would get. I was more than happy to accept. So case closed and rather professional of TC to get this resolved before we travel with no quibbling. Hats off!
That is a great result. Far more than I thought they would offer. Well done for keeping going and good on TC :) Now have a great holiday. Please come back and tell us about it!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.