Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Well, as it happens we were on the Spirit in February 2005. My wife keeps the daily "cruise news" sheet for every cruise we have done, and produced the one for Sunday 6th February 2005. for the record the ship was in the Island of La Palma that day.

The name of the Captain was George Delagrammatikas, although it may have been a different person by July when you were on!

Another interesting bit of useless information listed in the cruise news that day is that the Spirit was delivered in May 1983, sailing as "Nieuw Amsterdam" for HAL. After her final Alaska season in 2000, she cruised to Sydney serving as a hotel ship for the Olympics. She then sailed back to the USA under new owners United States Lines, and was renamed in October 2000 as M.S. Patriot. In October 2001, the parent company of United States Lines declared bankruptcy following the 9/11 attacks in New York a month earlier. After many months laid up in Honolulo she joined the Thomson fleet as a replacement for the "Topaz". In May 2002 she sailed for Piraeus in Greece for a refit, and was renamed Thomson Spirit in May 2003.

Here endeth today's history lesson!!
I was going to guess at George Delagrmmatikas when I saw this post last night as he was captain when we were on in November 2004!

luci :wave
Thanks for this. I can't say as that names rings a bell but it's not one that looks easily memorable! I have the family photo that was taken with him prior to the formal dinner and all I can say is that he has black hair and is not that tall!
Most Greek men have black hair, and are not that tall. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.