Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Did you pay for and not receive a balcony/lake view? Did your paperwork confirm this or was it all verbal?
You need to write to head office but for just an apology it's probably not worth your effort. They will always assume you want compensation and will be on the defensive before they open your letter. And they will always wait 28 days to reply.

But if you've paid extra for something that you didn't get why do you only want the apology? If you demand the money back they might at least do a few checks.

Was this a Thomon own brand holiday or from another operator?

Have you kept the brochure that shows the price and booking code? Given that checks were made this sounds like somewhere in the system the codes are crossed over. Can you give us the hotel name and the 2 room types with codes as they appear and confirm what it said on your documents? We could do some slewthing and see if they appear anywhere else and whether they are the same way round.
You wouldn't normally get a booking code on your paperwork. On Thomsons travel agency paperwork it would normally show eg TW2 PB SH WC BL LV. Thomsons tour ops usually print it out in full eg Twin room (sleeps 2 people) with private bath, shower, wc, balcony and lake view. What sort of code did your paperwork show?
Thank you for these responses and I apologise as being new to this sort of thing I underestimated the knowledge you have here. I should have provided more information had I known.

In response to the points you have raised

1. The Hotel was the Sirena in Malcesine

2. The price quoted of £9 per person per night was paid for a lake view balcony

3. The problem was the codings on Thomson booking confirmation. The relevant code was PBWCBL printed as shown and explained by Thompson in their shop and on telephone as Private Bathroom and WC , Balcony and Lake view. I pointed out that this didn't seem to match the codes in their Lakes and Mountains sales brochure and shouldn't it read PBWCBLLV. They said no! Everything was as ordered and paid for. The rep in the resort and the resort manager took an opposite view. In no place was this ever printed out and put in full - only ever as a code.

Reading your comments this seems to be a con, carried out because of my stupidity in not asking for written confirmation, but I was assured all was in order twice (Three times counting telephone calls)

From your replies it seems I don't have much hope an apology unless I sue them and for the sake of £126 on holidays costing nearly £5,000 it just isn't worth it. Nothing can ever replace our dream of spending our anniversary watching the sun set over Lake Garda from our private balcony. All I can do is leave this as a warning to others to always get these mammoth companies to confirm everything in writing.
This sounds like incompetance in the shop. The people in the resort probably wouldn't have a clue what the price should be but like us would spot the LV was missing!

£126 is a worthwhile sum to chase but the court process is a bit of a hassle. Maybe a get a photo of you outside the shop and suggest to the manager that if the refund isn't agreed within a couple of days you'll be going to the local papers with your account of how they messed up your special holiday. I think a bottle of something sparkling on top of the money wouldn't be unreasonable!
Definately booked wrong in the shop. That code certainly did not include a lake view. Out of curiosity, did you get a confirmation from Thomson Tour Operator or just the agency shop print out confirmation? It is usually 4 pages of which the first page is in letter form (Thomsons travel agents usually take this out before giviing to customer) The second is headed Your Holiday Details. It is on the seond page that your room details are usually printed in full.
Thank you Sun addict and Steve8482,

I agree with your comments that it is probably not worth pursuing in court, but I will print off all these replies and hand to the shop manager in the (probably vain) hope that they have at least the guts to apologise. I really can't understand why there seems to be such resistance today to say "sorry, we screwed up". When I was working a prompt apology and a bunch of flowers for the offended customers wife saved my Company thousands. As it is they have lost a customer, and looking at other posts here it seems that doesn't matter to them at all. I hope for their shareholders sake that it doesn't come back to haunt them.
I've not got anything much to add as you've already had some really great advice.

It's a shame that, despite your attempts before departure to ensure that you would would get what you booked AND more importantly paid for, you were disappointed.

As sugested by Steve8482, I would chase Thomson for a refund of the £126 that you paid for the lake view - don't accept vouchers but ask for cash.

And if that fails, I'd definitely follow up Steve8482's suggestion about going to the local papers.
A report of how you queried the booking not once but TWICE and they still got it wrong would be an embarrassment to them, portray them as incompetant and consequently may damage their image and business..
They might not be bothered about that though.
As well as a bottle of something sparkly, a big bouquet wouldn't go amiss - imho.

Good luck with this and do let us know what happens.
If the LV code was not showing on the confirmation from the travel agent then would this not imply that the lake view had not been entered into the booking and therefore not paid for? Then again I know nothing about travel agent booking systems but would assume that you would ask for extras and these are then entered into the system, the total cost updated and then confirmed by the print out. To my thinking if the travel agent confirmation did not show LV then it had not been paid for.
Agents run 2 systems. What is booked on viewdata is not necesarily what has been typed into their back office system to produce the travel agents confirmation. A tour operator confirmation would show what had actually been booked.
It appears that your local shop was at fault here...

ATB,J.
Sunaddict wrote:
Agents run 2 systems. What is booked on viewdata is not necesarily what has been typed into their back office system to produce the travel agents confirmation. A tour operator confirmation would show what had actually been booked.

Are the two systems not linked then? If not then it seems like a whole host of problems could occur on a regular basis.
Thanks everyone,

I referred shop manager to the website and this question and surprise, surprise, I got an immediate apology and have been promised a refund and compensation to be sent out on Monday. Thank you all for such constructive comments that have finally achieved an acceptable response. :)
Glad to hear you got a result... pity you had to put up with cr@p service

Bet you won't be using that branch again..

ATB,J.
Daithelife
That's really good news - and thanks for coming back and letting us know how it worked out.
thats great news!
well done on getting a result.lets us know,if they deliver,what they have promised.
tracy
Thank you to everyone,

My final post. This ended today with the shop manager telephoning me to apologise for the delay in finalising matters due to further hold-ups at Thomson Head Office. Following her intervention I was paid out compensation and £100 promised as an apology in cash! A very satisfactory end to the matter financially, but what really pleased me was this lady being concerned enough to keep chasing and offering the personal apology I had wanted from the start. Any Company can make mistakes, but it takes people to correct them, people who care and it is nice to know that they do exist, even if you have to be very, very persistent to find them.

Thank you again for all the wise words and support. It really helped.
:wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.