Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Surely in this situation you could claim against your travel insurance?
I agree with SMa, is there no way you can look at insurance to start with?

L
travel insurance was not purchased at the time of the holiday booking, this we was seeking to do nearer the departure date :)
Well done for getting the deposit back. To be honest I am surprised.
As you have probably realised, when you buy a holiday, get insurance right away. It is for things like health issues. not just flight problems or accidents.
Thanks for updating as often we don't hear of outcomes.
I'm pleased that you've got your deposit back but like Fiona, I'm surprised by this outcome. If you don't have an annual policy, it really is essential to take out insurance the moment you book - most TOs will not refund a deposit in these circumstances. In the meantime I hope that you mske a good recovery.
Yes I am surprised myself, not sure what the underlying reason was, but I feel that it must be pressure put upon Thomson. Like I said the doctors letter was very supportive and no area for ambiguity. I have not as of yet received the refund, Thomson only agreed earlier today to fully refund. However I do recall seeing another posting on this site where refund had been agreed and they claim they were still waiting. I'm not sure if they eventually received the payment as I do not believe that story had been updated further.

Thank You SMa, my health situation has improved and I am doing better. Have a control mechanism in place which is working!
I, too, am surprised that they have returned your portion of the deposit(or promised return).
Normally, as the other two are presumably still going, they would have adjusted the overall cost of the holiday and the final balance required. If you were out of pocket then they would expect your friends to reimburse you as you had paid part of their holiday cost?
As per others on the thread,I always take out insurance on the day I book/pay the deposit. Too many things can go wrong eg unexpected pregnancy, illness, redundancy - in one case I've got knowledge of,holidays had to be altered because one couple got divorced!!
Deposits with all tour operators are non refundable as per the terms agreed when you book so I'm very surprised TUI of all companies have promised your deposit will be refunded for what was a standard cancellation.

You need to take out insurance as soon as you book. It is foolhardy to do otherwise, unless you don't mind losing your deposit or more. If tour operators handed deposits back for every cancellation or even just those for medical reasons (because they're hardly unusual. They get umpteen a day) they wouldn't be in business for long.

If you do receive it back consider yourself very fortunate, and I hope your recovery continues.
I disagree with you slightly, the cancellation albeit due to medical reasons, is not deemed standard. If it were this would be mentioned In the terms and conditions. I viewed their terms and conditions and enquired why medical cancellation reasons are not covered. Thomson advised that they do not publicise such circumstances and deal wiv them on a case by case basis. Also as mentioned in my initial story, Thomson customer service advised that we would be entitled to a refund under the reason for cancellation.

If it were deemed a standard cancellation, they would not have investigated in the first place. On the initial booking four of us were due to travel, one person cancelled due to changing their mind. In that scenario the deposit was lost and accepted, no questions as that was a standard cancellation. I don't believe that you can categorise a cancellation on medical grounds as standard, as no one chooses or wishes illness?

This is the point I am trying to put it across. If it were standard, T.O. would not have this process in place to cater for reasons such as this? Am I the only person that can see this. Yes, I agree had we purchased travel insurance upon booking then it possibly would have been sorted much quicker, but the fact that Tui changed their mind, shows that they have a duty of care if insurance is not purchased in certain circumstances.
Yes, correct the other two are still going on the holiday. They had already paid the remainder of their holiday prior to the deadline date. Hence why Tui did not offset my deposit as part payment. I appreciate that their are lots of unexpected reasons why a person would/could cancel. I suppose there is no hard and fast rule and each would be have to be dealt wiv on a case by case basis?

But, Yes, I do take your point.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.