General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Timeshare
50 Posts
That club is the same thing that hubby & I were offered in Tenerife a good few years back Shirley. It sounds like a good deal if it's genuine. As you say the crux will come when you try and book accommodation for those prices for peak weeks, and of course flights for peak weeks, now BMI baby are pulling out of Cardiff. I've just had a quick look at EJ from Bristol for the same 2 weeks that we're going in the summer, and flights are showing at £186pp return, without luggage. Hope it's genuine and there'll be some cheap holidays in the future :tup
We'll have to wait and see Helen. The flights are a bit of a worry too but as long as we book easy jet as soon as they're released it shouldn't be too bad. As for our free holiday, I don't particularly want to book for any time we wouldn't normally go as it's false economy, being as we'd have to pay for extra flights and spending money. As you know we've already booked our summer holiday which leaves us with October half term which wouldn't be great in Benalmadena or next Easter which is what we're hoping for. I know the weather was bad this time but despite that we had a great holiday, indeed hubby preferred it to lying around in the sun all day :que

BTW, friends and family can all book using our membership :tup and Helen remember if you fancy any of these cheap hols we'll be booking you can split the £279 and we'll have a 2 bedroom apartment :rofl
I hope you can cancel. The holiday clubs Are the unregulated ones Timeshares are way more regulated. There often things on watchdog about them. Do a bit of googling to see any complaint forums. I think the touts need shooting. I remember first time to majorca 19 years ago we nearly got in a taxi then the light dawned on me. If u can't cancel I hope you do get the holidays your supposed to. Bev
Hi Sarah,

We're not in the least bit worried (famous last words) as we've only forked out £595- not to be scoffed at I know but even if the worse happened we can afford to loose that amount. As I said in my original post hopefully we'll be able to benefit from the free week which then would mean we havent actually thrown £595 away.

I have googled them and I haven't found one bad story about the firm although a couple haven't long joined and are wondering if it's going to be all it's cut out to be- time will tell.

No way would I have signed up for the whole package and parted with thousands of pounds, nor are we comtemplating buying the life membership at the end of the 3 years.
for the records. what's the name of the company?
Sounds very like our own experience on the Costa del Sol few years back (one of the reasons why I'll never be venturing back again). Sounded like a great deal until we discovered that whatever dates we asked for, they were always unavailable! Luckily, I kicked up such a fuss that we got out of it without it costing us anything. Friends of ours had a very similar experience in one of the Canary Islands and it ended up costing them an arm and a leg for very little in return.
Hi Steve,

The programme is called Holiday passport and is run on behalf of Mertex investments - Their address is The sunset beachclub, Avenida del Sol.........Benalmadena, which is the hotel that we took a tour of and where we bought our 3 year membership. I have their full address here on my paperwork.

Blondiescot, that's my only concern tbh. I pointed out that as I worked in a school I could only go during peak times to which I was told that I'd have to book well in advance. That's no problem to me because I tend to book a year or more in advance anyway. I am a bit dubious of whether there will be availability but I can only wait and see.
Quick search produced these.

http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php?topic=12254.0

http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php?topic=11057.0

Personally I tell them to fo forth and multiply but then each to his (her0 own.

fwh
Good for you Shirley , nothing ventured nothing gained , you will never know unless you gave it a try . we were approached when in Rhodes and we won , got taken in a taxi to some very nice hotel shown all around and it was very very nice right on the beach , but i think the salesman could tell we weren't going to buy , but he had to give us all the sales pitch , and there was no hard feelings when we said thanks but no thanks , the same company tried the whole fortnight last year on Crete to whisk us away , but we never went , but had a good laugh with the reps on the street corners
Hi Frank, I had seen those sites- not much gets past me :D Our contract is different though. I've been through it with a toothcomb several times and can't see how we can get taken for a ride- only problem I can see happening is not being able to get the dates we want.

Lindy, I agree with your thinking. I must be a bit of a gambler as I looked at it as a calculated risk. I could have a fair bit to gain but if it goes wrong I can afford to lose it :que
I could have a fair bit to gain but if it goes wrong I can afford to lose it

Wish I could afford to lose that much money. Two years ago we were given the so said magical win scratch cards in Puerto Rico. The guy got all excited and before we could say NO there was a taxi there waiting to take us to the grand tour. Trying to get away from these type of people is horrendous I think! :( We did not get in that taxi, nor would I ever when on holiday. I think they are a big con, and you can never get the dates you want.
That's very informative sanji and has got us thinking :think
Although it says that everyone has a right to a 14 day cooling off period, when you've paid the money and the paperwork states it's non refundable I presume we'll have a fight on our hands to get it back. It seems we can ask the CC company to claw back the money for us but I suspect they won't be too happy to do that just because we've changed our minds. if we could prove we were mis-sold the membership we'd have a stronger case but as yet they haven't done anything wrong :que

I'm tempted to try and book my free week within the next day or so (I'm looking at Easter next year lol) and if I can't get it I'll have some ammunition in which to cancel. If I can get the dates I want I don't foresee a problem.

Watch this space.
Although it says that everyone has a right to a 14 day cooling off period, when you've paid the money and the paperwork states it's non refundable

I think if you read it again you will see that new updated regulations have just come into place regarding Holiday Clubs, but unfortunately it isn't expected to be applied in Spain until next year.
Timeshare have to give you a cooling off period and they cannot take any money from you during this period, so whoever told you that Timeshare were the villains and not Holiday Clubs, was talking out of his/her lying backside.

I think your only hope of getting out of this is to write to the company and say you want out of the contract because you were lied to...and BTW they DID lie to you, so they HAVE done something wrong because Holiday Clubs DO NOT have the same regulations as genuine and legit time share companies, and use that as the lever with your CC provider.
Despicable liars, personally I'd gladly dump these sharks alongside the real ones and wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Sanji
Shirley, you are a frequent traveller abroad so you obviously know the pros/cons of timeshare
but I would say to anyone in any Country - never get into a taxi unless you have
personally booked it - you never know where you could end 'up'
Once you are 'up' there, you have to get back which could be a problem unless you eventually give in.
(I bet a lot of readers know what I am talking about) just be safe - not sorry.
I don't want to 'rain on your parade' and I really hope it works out well for you. x
Two years ago in Cyprus we went to look at one of these. Thos Cook were involved in it. On arrival I had fun giving them a snagging list in the supposed luxury new build hotel. Dodgy wiring - trip hazards - bad lighting - the list goes on. Then when being given the big sell I was asked why I kept looking at my watch. My answer? I had agreed to spend two hours and I was counting down the time - and looking forward to spending the 60 euros they were paying me for agreeing to come and have a look.

Being retired the whole concept is wasted on us. We holiday where/when we want, and are well aware that at our age each holiday abroad might be our last. Our kids are well provided for so we are spending the inheritence. If we were to buy into one of theswe schemes we would only do so here in the UK and ensure the transaction would be protected by UK law.

The link provided by Sanji should be required reading for anyone thinking of buying into these things.

fwh
On reading it all again I think we might be covered in paragraph 2b on this page http://www.timeshare.org.uk/cancel_old.html

suzie, thanks for your concerns. You are quite right- once in the taxi hubby kept telling me that the driver was taking us up into the mountains to God knows where :duh He was half winding me up and half worried I think. I did think that anything could have happened but what would they have to gain in doing that. I genuinely believed that they wanted to get us to this hotel to give us the sales talk which they did but looking back it was a bit naive.
A long time ago as word got around about the practises of these con artists, people used to play these sharks at their own game and go for the free bottle of whisky and the fags, which used to be the 'prize', but they never signed owt or had any intentions of signing owt.
Some folks used to brag at having got several bottles of whisky and cartons of fags for nothing.
When the sharks realised they were being taken for a ride, they got nasty and if you didn't sign, you didn't get a taxi back to where you came from.
In Shirley's case it wouldn't have been a problem getting back to La Carihuela/Torremolinos from the Sunset Beach Club, but sometimes they do take you into the middle of nowhere, where buses are far and few or non existent.

Many years ago a couple in the same hotel as us, they went for the 'free gifts' and they were left in the middle of nowhere, miles away from Playa de las Americas in Tenerife, and the husband had to walk for miles/hours to reach a taxi rank to go back for his wife, who couldn't walk very far, and by the time he'd paid for the taxi, he could have bought 10 bottles of whisky and still had some change......ok I'm going back years before mobile phones became part of everyone's life.

Obviously the answer today would be don't fall for any survey and as Suzie has said, don't get into a taxi unless you've called for it.
These days most people have a mobile phone, so put the number of several taxi firms operating in the area on it because sharks aside, you just never know when you might need one.
As we go to the Costa del Sol every year, I have all the numbers of the emergency services and taxi firms operating in the Torremolinos/Benalmádena area, permanently on my phone.
We were walking past a hotel in Malta and a timeshare tout was standing outside. He gave us the usual load of rubbish and asked us to go in to look round and as it was raining we went in. After a couple of hours he tried to get us to sign and when we said no he was so angry and said we only went in to get out of the rain which was the truth.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.