General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Some insurance companies can add it as an option. Some are just scheduled airline failure insurance SAFI, but you are probably looking for Supplier Failure Insurance. Directline can provide this or ProtectMyHoliday

luci :wave
need good travel insurance with UK call centres for over 65. tried direct line last week, got through to Mumbai could not understand the girl at all.
that's odd, the last useless Direct Line operator I spoke to was in Glasgow. Did she say she was in Mumbai?
she certainly did, looks like may go with insure and go £123 for two of us one over 65. boots price doubled from last year was £113 now £239 no way
Is that for Europe or worldwide? I have recently discovered http://www.eta.co.uk and they don't load the premium for being older and they cover PEMC's which have been stable for the past year.

An annual European policy would be £75 per couple and worldwide £135.

was worldwide
need insurance to cover if we had to return home elderlyparents who knows if they will be ill
airline failure
company going bust
without reading all the policy how do we make a choice
The main thing we want in insurance is if we are covered for cancellation should something happen to aged parents, and if we were abroad and had to return home, anyone know of insurance that will ocver this. Parents are ok but one never knows they are in their mid eighties and take medication for one thing or another. We have not been advised not to travel
All you can do is read the policies to check you are covered for what you need. Very boring, but very necessary.

This is also one of the things I look for in a policy and most are restrictive. However I found that Direct Travel (not cheap) and http://www.eta.co.uk seemed to provide the cover provided you don't know of any reason you may need to cancel.

I've also found that the free insurance provided with the Nationwide FlexAccount also provides cover.

thanks Luci tried eta quoted £145 for the two of us one over 65 seems ok and would be covered for parents
have been reading reviews of this company and they are not good, must get insurance next week any other recommendations
Do you have a link to the reviews?

I really struggled to get a company to cover Close Relatives not travelling and I read a LOT of policies. I ended up renewing with Direct Travel. The policy was very expensive, but I wanted the cover so had to pay.

Have you tried the recommendations on Page 1 of this topic?

I'd say reviews of insurance policies are even less reliable than reviews of hotels.

Policies can change at any time, you get the cover it says in your policy document not what someone did/ did not get 6 months ago from the same company. And big name sellers often use small name underwriters who can also change, a decade ago I always used the Post Office, when I had to claim a bit in 2000 it was fine but in 2002 it was a different underwriter and a completely different experience, even though the published cover was the same. A few years ago M&S gave supplier failure cover as standard but the following year it had been quietly dropped.

Opinions are only worth much if you can be sure that you would be getting exactly the same as the other person.

And never confuse price with value!
Have you tried UIA travel insurance? I don't know how much they charge, but looking through their policy booklet they cover if you need to cancel or cut short your holiday due to a close relative being injured, falls ill or dies.
We always use them now after someone on here told us about them, they are normally cheaper for people with pre-existing medical conditions up to the the of 75.
We are in the same predicament as Alan's mum is in her late seventies and although she is in good health at the moment you never know what might happen.
We have bought another policy with UIA for our trip to Kiev, after looking at other companies UIA class Ukraine as part of Eastern Europe whereas some insurance companies class it as out of Europe.
Might be worth a try:
http://www.uia.co.uk

Its a union company but you do not need to be in any union to use their services.

Good Luck
Dara and Alan
Not sure if this is in the right topic! I live outside of UK, and am going on a cruise next January to the US and Caribbean. I am looking for medical insurance for the US and have come across the above company. Has anyone used them/heard of them? I have insurance already via the TA for cancellation of cruise etc, but the medical insurance is only a total of 6,000€, which obviously is not enough should I be unlucky enough to need hospital treatment.

I am also spending a few days pre and post cruise actually in the US. I think I read somewhere that you can't have two insurance policies for the same journey, but as the TA is only covering the cruising part, I really need another for other incidentals, plus of course the all important medical!!! Does the two policy rule only apply to UK?

Any advice gratefully received, especially regarding worldwideinsure.com.

TIA :cheers
Yes I've heard of http://www.worldwideinsure.com . http://www.worldnomads.com is a similar company.

I have also just come across mawista which might be what you are looking for http://incominghealthinsurance.com/product-information/

No experience of any of those companies so you would need to read the policies carefully to see if they are what you are looking for.

Thanks luci :cheers
Had a quick look at that last link and it says the following??

WHO CAN BE INSURED?

People from all over the world, who are temporarily staying abroad, max. age of 80
e.g.:

* tourists/vacationers,
* travelling business people,
* Work& Holiday participants,
* High School attendants,
* expatriates, residents, employees.

This does not include persons with a permanent residence in a country or for persons staying regularly for more than 3 months at a time (for example: a stay during the winter months).

Sorry if I shouldn't have copied and pasted, but that bit above seems a bit confusing ???
that seems clear to me...

... but which country are in you? Can't you simply find a local company that does travel insurance? There is a risk of claims getting very complicated if you take out insurance with a company that's in a different country to where you live, who would you appeal to if they turned down a claim?

There is an issue under UK practices about having two overlapping policies in that it gives insurers grounds to quibble over paying out claims, the one you claim off may want to split the cost with the other which would then lead to two excess payments and delay. That would probably be true of insurers in any country. But if your first policy was sold as an "except USA" type cover then you wouldn't really have 2 policies in force whilst you were there because you would go off cover for the first one.
Does anyone have any experience of Good To Go travel insurance (for pre existing medical conditions)? I've previously used All Clear Travel but their website seems to have changed and now gives you a list of insurers and prices. Good To Go is listed and is a better price than All Clear. I've looked at their policy summary and it seems okay for us.

On the Good to Go website it states: Goodtogoinsurance.com is an appointed representative of Ancile Insurance Group

Many thanks for any advice anyone can give on this company.
Hi cdw
I have diabetes and use uia insurance always come out cheaper than other companies and very good policies. I have a 14 day European policy for £11.28 and that includes cover for our trip to Kiev which is part of the same holiday.
It is simple to order online and a few simple questions and you can be covered.
http://www.uia.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.