General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Excess waiver on one and £25 excess on the other. ;)

luci :wave
im not sure if this is the right topic to post under
just come back from a fab week in benidorm
but just a warning about holiday insurance a lovely lady aged 80 colapsed and died on wednesday night out side shooters bar in levante
when the paramedics were called because her hubby didnt have insurance they just threw a blanket over her and she was lying in the gutter for 90 mins untill the ladies family were contacted in the uk and they agreed to pay
so sad for the lady and gent but please please dont forget your insurance you never know when you will need it
My son slipped and knocked himself out whilst we were in Lanzarote several years ago. Someone called the ambulance, but they wouldn't take him anywhere until we got there and showed them our insurance. They then took him to the private hospital. If we hadn't had any insurance they would have taken him to the 'national health' hospital, but he wasn't going anywhere until we turned up. They did look after him whilst in the ambulance.
I watched the programme Benidorm ER last week. I felt so sorry for the lovely couple on the programme when the gent became very ill. He needed an emergency op and the insurance refused to pay up. Fortunately for them, they were able to pay the thousands of pounds necessary for his op. Had it been me, I would not have had the money. The reason the insurance would not pay was because the gentleman had not disclosed that he had a scan months previously. Just a warning that every single thing to do with health has to be disclosed. I'd never have thought that a scan would be treated as a major item on the insurance form.
Hi digby ... it doesn't necessarily need to be a scan or any form of treatment. Some insurers require to be told of any recent hospital referrals, appointments or consultations.

David :wave
Our renewal of our annual insurance is coming round soon but we are customers of Nationwide. Thier free policy looks (on paper) to be as good as the policy we currently have and so we probably won't be renewing. However you really only find out how good a policy is when you come to claim.
We have travel insurance as part of our bank account and have two holidays booked for this year, hubby had his tonsils out last month, so I rang the insurance company to let them know and they promptly charged me an extra £15 in case he has a 'tonsil related accident ' :rofl :rofl
Now i'm no expert on 'tonsil related accidents', so what's the worst that can happen ? bless, he already waved tara to them last month !! gave me a good laugh though !
You never know he might poke himself in the tonsil region with his straw whilst supping on his cocktail :rofl :rofl
husband had just general health check, cholesterol raised, will I need to inform insurance, will it make any difference
Yes!
I have been taking a low dose statin for 2 months and had my blood taken today.
If the level has dropped to normal I wont have to take it any more but I will still have to inform my insurance company.
I am going away to Turkey in 2 weeks and as its not a EU country the EHIC is no use.
I always worry that should anything happen abroad and the insurance contact my Doctor and I havent told them my insurance will become void.
which insurance company are u with . as we get a little older always wonder who is best to insure with. We are with ETA now runs out July
We are with Insure and Go.
We were previously with Multitrip.com which was recommended on Martin Lewis website but because we only go to non EU countries I decided to change as Multitrip couldnt even get our address right and it took 3 weeks for our policy to arrive which was only 2 days before our holiday.
An HT member was insured with them last year when she had a medical emergency and they were excellent.
I am expecting them to charge for the fact I have been taking statins even though they are the lowest dose of 10mg twice a week. :duh
i have just had to take out annual travel insurance as i changed banks and don't get the "free" travel insurance anymore.
i have high blood pressure for which i have been on tablets for 18 months, and so have to declare this.
i also take statins. my doctor put me on these as although my cholestrol was not defined as high it was a good precautionary measure for anyone "of my age". i believe the quack gets paid a bit extra for everyone the can get on the statin programme. they have brought my cholestrol down a bit, but as i say they were given as a precaution.

with insure and go, when you do the medical screening, as soon as you declare HBP they then ask if your cholestrol has ever been high, and unless you answer "no" you then get rated as being on 2 medications and they charge you an extra premium.
i used the post office travel insurance and could truthfully answer all their screening questions correctly and so did not get any extra premium, and got good cover for a very good price.

as an aside, i looked at comparethemarket, and loads of other sites, and found loads of companies would give you travel insurance for a very cheap price, from £8.40 for a single trip, but when i looked at what was covered, and the excess you had to pay you may think that you be as well not bothering with insurance -one policy had a £300 limit on personal possessions with a £200 excess so i would not like to try and get a payout from them if i lost an expensive i-phone for example.
bejay wrote:
husband had just general health check, cholesterol raised, will I need to inform insurance, will it make any difference

bejay wrote:
which insurance company are u with . as we get a little older always wonder who is best to insure with. We are with ETA now runs out July

ETA are good if you have a stable condition with no changes in medication in the past 12 months. However they won't cover new conditions for a period of 12 months after diagnosis. They will cover a new condition for travel already booked before diagnosis.

Most policies state that you should advise them of any new condition which is diagnosed between taking out the policy and the date of travel.
vicjayhay wrote:
You never know he might poke himself in the tonsil region with his straw whilst supping on his cocktail :rofl :rofl

ha would have to be a long straw as his tonsils will be in a jar on a shelf at the hospital! :rofl
Does anyone know what the insurance companies class as high cholesterol?
Our GP seems to prescribe it as a preventative measure and we still have to inform the insurance companies.
It may differ between companies. However as statins have been prescribed then I would think you would have to declare that they are being taken.

You could try a company that does online screening to see what it comes up with. Do it with and without the meds and see what the difference in cost is. Use false details. I think Direct Travel now do online screening.
Thanks Luci,I will give that a try.
I will have to inform them tomorrow as we go away in 2 weeks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.