Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
In 1997 my baggage was not lost but stolen, It was in Miami and was put on a coach at the Cruise Terminal. When the bags were placed in the hotel foyer I had my small case but the large one was missing.
I lost everything.
On my return the Cruise Company said after 10-14 days it was not going to turn up and told me to make a claim against my insurance. As the total cost for items was over the £2000 I also made a claim on my Home Contents insurance. I had all risk cover for up to £3000.
I submitted a claim to the Holiday Insurance and heard nothing. My contents insurance send a loss Adjuster to interview me, I was asked to try to provide evidence eg receipts etc.
In the event I did have receipts for things I had purchased on holiday and a few bit and pieces as like you who keeps receipts forever.
In my claim I had purchased some items at sale price and I put the value of the items prior to price reduction as well as what I had paid.
I had shoe boxes I had bits of fabric where I had evening dresses etc shortened photo's taken wearing clothes etc 2 Antler pieces of baggage the same as the one I had lost. I showed them underwear to establish the quality I bought. I had not lost anything particularly valueable like camera jewellery etc. I can't now recall all the evidence I had and when I said this I was told that I had a lot more than many. I had been very anxious that they would not believe me.
The cost of lost items came to £2700 or £2800. The Insurers gave me 2 options either to take a settlement of £2000 or to give me £1000 and then when I sent receipts they would give me a further amount until the claim was paid in full. My Daughter advised me to take the £1000 as I to lose £700-800 was too much. £1000 was duly sent to me and then out of the blue a cheque for £2000 arrived from the Holiday Insurers. I then called my home contents to inform me. They said they would come back to me and the following day saying I was to retain the £1000. I was most surprised. but naturally I was pleased and 6 months later when I put on a particular dress only to realise that I had lost a pair of shoes. All I have never had a problem with any insurance claim I have had to make over the years. Stolen camera, lost wrist watch, and I had money stolen in Italy from my handbag. My experience has been good and the most recent loss was 2 years ago.

I just hope that you can persuade them to accept in good faith that having your case you obviously lost goods and that they will accept some other proof other than receipts etc.

Sue
Hi all
Quick reply. Yes its still going on. The only people at fault here is the Egyptian Doctor, I understand Insure And Go are only doing their job. Even with the Ombudsman involved you still get encouraged to drag it out.
Basically the Egyptian Doctor, is still saying that I received the medical treatment and purchased all medication through them! Every person who has been to Egypt knows the chemist is where you get your tablets from!

I will let you know the outcome. It must be a learning kerb for all travelling to Egypt.

Please let me put my 2009 holiday behind me, before we go into the New Year and NO, I will not be travelling to Egypt again!!
Just wanted to let you all know that NOTHING ever came of this.

The Insurance firm asked Egyptian Doctor to provide proof of claim. I was happy to leave things lie without stirring it all up again.

Just please ask for a reciept for any treatment that you have, especially when they don't offer you one. :tup

(was Beth72 now mistygal)
Sorry to hear this but I think you are right in finally putting it behind you.

Sue
Many thanks for the update on this. Sorry about your experience but at least your posting about it has warned other people of the problems that can arise and hopefully ensure they do not fall into the same trap.

fwh
Thanks for the replies and thank goodness for internet forums like this.

There was a programme on the other week revealing medical treatment costs whilst abroad. Funny enough the dodgy stomach sickness and dioareah was the most popular abused case, in travel insurance. I laughed when they showed footage of a doctor saying, your stomach is making all sort of noise. I know, I heard the same words myself! All examinations completely unnecessary.
Never mind the outcome could have been worse.
Have a lovely holiday, all of you lucky enough to be going away this year X
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.