General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
sorry, I've only come in here to ask about the free pint! :)
now my last reply looks daft now you've altered the title! :)
I haven't altered the title..

I've now studied the Nationwide BS travel policy, they list "Hazardous Activities" which are automatically covered. These include scuba diving, snorkelling, water polo and windsurfing but presumably the dry land versions because there's no mention of swimming! They also list bowls and table tennis as hazardous activities which seems a bit extreme. On the postive side, they list some pre existing medical conditions which don't need to be declared (or paid for) and have an interesting option for anyone facing cancellation due to redundancy.
I've had an annual policy with Nationwide for years. They covered hazardous activities as long as they are a one-off experience and not the main reason for the holiday.

I have a pre-existing medical condition which they didn't used to cover (but still insured me), but since they changed to Elvia Assurance a couple of years ago as the underwriters, it is now covered.

I have never had to make a claim so don't know how good they are in that respect. I could get cheaper insurance elsewhere, but stick with the Nationwide as they offer excellent cover and I feel they are a company I could trust.

I called Columbus Direct tonight for a quote, but as soon as I mentioned my medical condition, they wouldn't insure me even with the condition excluded.

luci :wave
I think that Steve highlights something that many will not even have considered.

People take out a "Holiday" insurance policy and assume it will be covered for the things you do on holiday.

An example of how you really must read the "small print"

fwh
Have a look at http://www.insureandgo.co.uk steve . i have used them for the last couple of years choosing their Platinum policy with a NIL excess. they do cover quite a long list of holiday activities i.e water sports and those that they dont they will cover for a very small fee before you go, usually a couple of £ i.e scuba diving / paragliding. although ,whilst I know that they cover a fair list ive not read the small print lately to see if wording has changed .
My son had epilepsy up until about 4 years ago , which I always declare and they cover me without any additional charge.

they do cover for missed departure but I believe this is when you have been delayed on your journey to the airport and not if flights have been cancelled. not sure how other companies differ. I checked this before christmas incase Easyjet cancelled our flights over christmas due to the strike threat and was told that if they were to cancel my flight it would come under "delays " not missed departure which would only give me a small amount back .

I have also made 2 claims the last couple of years . they paid no problem .one for some small damage we made in a holiday cottage in cornwall. and the 2nd for a 33 hr delay we had with XL: (booked DIY) . received £60 for each of us . £40 for over 12 hrs + another £20 for each additional 12 hrs.

lyn
Chivas, perhaps you reading it through the bottom of a glass?

Lyn

I've had a quick look at insureandgo. It seems interesting and worth studying more, especially the excess waiver option. But they definately exclude airline bankruptcy and, by the look of it, your strike. From their general exclusions in the Policy Document, they will not pay out for :

"11 Any claim resulting from the tour operator, airline or any other company, firm or person becoming insolvent, or being unable or unwilling to fulfil any part of their obligation to you."

If the airline's staff are on strike, or the airport is shut for any reason, it would seem to fall under "being unable" and it clearly says "Any claim.."

Now that I've thought about it I'm sure most of the others can be read this way as well. Unlike the others they do at least tell you how to claim under EU regulations if the flight is cancelled but that's not much use if the airline has gone bust. Maxjet collapsed just before Christmas and in recent years Sabena and Swissair have gone down the pan. Alitalia seems to have bene teetering on the brink for years as well.

On the postive side, at least insureandgo will let me go for a bike ride!
What a minefield steve and thanks for checking that smallprint .I suppose we can never cover ourselves for every single eventuality but we can dam well make sure we tick as many boxes as we possibly can. I suppose the idea behind these exclusions is they wont cough up where we would be expected to claim elsewhere. i.e the airline or ABTA Yet they will pay if our car breaks down on the way to the airport and we miss our flight :think

lyn
I'm still digging....

Swiftcover.com (the ones with the chickens in their adverts) do have a specific optional extra of Scheduled Airline Failure for a small price. However, flights have to be booked either direct with the airline or as part of a package. So if you've booked it cheap through an agent like Flightcentre you're not covered. You're also not covered if the booking has any form of bonding from another source (even if this is insufficient to meet the claim!), as any packages sold by Britsoh companies are likely to have ABTA/ATOL bonding there's no point in paying for the extra cover.

So worth bearing in mind if you've invested in a long distance ticket under the right conditions but still not ideal.

PS - dial up connection users should be aware that this is quite possibly the slowest website in Britain so if you do want a quote from them be prepared for a wait!
Just a point on not reading small print correctly.

My parents were flying to Belfast from BHX airport . We live about 45mins from Birmingham . They left home at 8.00am for a midday flight . Plenty of time for a domestic departure unfortunately about 20mins from birmingham there was a fuel spill on the motorway at about 8.30am and motorway was closed. They were now trapped on the motorway for over 3hrs . On arrival at airport they had missed their flight . They managed to get another flight at 5.00pm at an extra cost of £ 130.00 each. On return tried to claim off of travel insurance for missed departure due to the accident which had happened on motorway but as their vehicle was not directly involved they were told they were not covered!!!

I always thought if you missed your flight due to no fault of your own you would be covered. I even sent in BBC news report of the fuel spill closing motorway!!!.
This is my point - you have to read these things before you hand over your money.

As some examples (which I happen to have available, I'm not targeting anyone!) of valid reasons for missing departure

Insure and Go -

"public transport services fail (due to poor weather conditions, a strike, industrial action or mechanical breakdown) or the vehicle in which you are travelling is involved in an accident or suffers a mechanical breakdown (this would not include your vehicle running out of petrol or suffering a flat tyre, puncture or flat battery)."

Nationwide BS

"public transport (including scheduled flights) does not run to its timetable; or the vehicle you are travelling in has an accident or breaks down."

Direct Line

"1. the public transport taking you to your departure point is not running to timetable; or
2. the private car taking you to your departure point is involved in an accident or breaks down."

glancing at the summary (which is what most people do) you wouldn't think there was a difference but look at the wording and think about it.

Nationwide and DL both say simply public transport not running to timetable but Insureandgo specify certain reasons - so what would happen if an Airport Shuttle bus had been stuck on the motorway behind the fuel spill?

Nationwide actually count internal flights as public transport but most exclude them. So if you live in the north of Scotland and need to fly in beofre you start this could be the one for you.

All three specifically state that the vehicle you are travelling in is involved in an accident, thus rulling out being in a private car stuck behind someone elses accident. BUT, DL then add an exclusion clause which says "if you missed your departure because of heavy traffic or road closures, and you did not leave enough time to reach your departure point, and you did not use public transport" which sort of implies that if you are caught in someone elses mess and did set out reasonably early you might be covered!

By the time you've worked your way through the small print (and that of the tour company) you'll need a holiday!
I'm just about ready to write my thesis on small print for my degree in Travel Insurance!

Swiftcover.com was interesting because it had the option to add Scheduled Airline Failure but there were a couple of points I wasn't too keen on and their site was hopeless. They are actually the internet branch of Axa.

I finally got around to looking at Marks and Spencer's and guess what, it's provided by Axa - but the site works properly!

Firstly, I scoured the policy document using wordsearch and it has no exclusions about airlines being "unable" to provide their service so we're off to a good start. The dangerous activity list is sensible as well. They also class internal flights as "public transport" for missed departure. And edhall's parents will love this, Missed Departure cover includes

An accident or breakdown occurring ahead of You on a motorway or dual carriageway which causes an unexpected delay to the vehicle in which You are travelling

They let you opt out of Baggage Cover if you've got it on your home contents policy and you can pay a bit extra as an excess waiver.

On the exisiting medical condition/ prescribed medicine issue, when you declare it you have the option of saying you don't want it covered which suits my condition fine.

So I've gone with M&S.
Thanks for all this Steve - it's been interesting to read and I'm so envious of your ability to read small print and decipher it.

You certainly missed your vocation :tup (wonder if that's covered :lol: )
Just wondered as I saw this post if anyone could help.
Im due to travel to Cuba in may, I booked this holiday last april as soon as web prices came out. I didnt get insurance at time of booking. In the June my father in law was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I have got insurance but I didnt get it until december not at the time of booking and after diagnosis was made.
I am pretty sure that I will not be covered for cancellation and to be honest if we are needed here then that is more important to us and the holiday isnt important but I just wondered if there was a premium or extra we could pay to get covered if we need to cancel due to this situation.
Thanks
I am pretty certain you won't be covered as this is now a pre-existing condition which you knew about when you took the insurance out.

I know Im not insured for this with the policy I have but wondered if I could pay extra to be covered even if it means buying new insurance with another company. I know with my mum she has high blood pressure and she gets cover for it as long as she pays a premium extra.
Thanks
Even if you were able to find a company to cover a terminal illness, the premiums are likely to be in the thousands.

I just renewed my annual policy recently and, not only did I declared both mine and my husband's medical conditions, I also declare those of both elderly parents. Our conditions are covered, including hubby's high blood pressure at no extra premium, but none of our parents' were.

My MIL is due to have a hip replacement "in a couple of months" and we are going to Vegas in 9 weeks. Unfortunately we won't be covered for anything relating to the operation should it affect our holiday.

Oh well, never mind. I certainly wouldnt cancel it though and let them re-sell the holiday!! Id rather just not turn up if I cant go. Thanks for the advice
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.