General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Ginger is brilliant to stop sickness. Take a few bottles of it with you.
take some ginger biscuits to nibble on during the flight.
another tip
have you tried the sea bands, you wear them on your wrists and they press on your pressure points. i know a few people who have tried these and they said they do work.
ali
Have you considered taking the herb Valerian in tablet form to help you relax? It's been helpful for me in the past when a panic attack has been imminent.

Also try to plan your flight. The outward leg flying west is usually the hardest because it is always daytime outside. It is so daunting thinking about all those 'loose' hours , continually reinforced by the IFE screen showing how much time has elapsed and how much there is of the flight still to go.

Decide how you are going to enjoy your time. Firstly put your watch to the time zone you are travelling to before you get on the flight.

Then divide up the flight into times of say half an hour or an hour. Perhaps one hour you might decide to watch the film, the second you might decide to start writing your Christmas cards (YES, I know it's early days) (put a box of them plus your address list in your hand baggage and a non-smear pen).

You might decide to do the inflight exercises for a quarter of an hour or so. Build in time to go to the loo well before your flight lands to avoid excess queueing .... something you will soon become expert at if you drink as much water as you comfortably can to keep yourself rehydrated. And enjoy taking the time to put on (or take off) your makeup at leisure before you land. Moisturise your face every hour or so (you'd be surprised how much your skin absorbs at altitude) and apply lip salve - cracked lips are a pain at any time, and all the more so on holiday.

Take eyeshades (or at least sunglasses( to help make the cabin dark for you if you want to sleep, and tune the headphones from the IFE to an empty audio channel if you want to cut down on cabin noise as you relax. Even if you can't sleep, a conscious effort to relax each bit of you will help you enjoy the flight more.

Maybe you'll have an agreeable next door neighbour, and can enjoy a chat: if the flight's not full perhaps you can see if the check in staff will keep the seat next to you free, so that you can spread out a bit. If not, try for a window seat because there's usually a tiny bit more room and you can lean against the wall to sleep. Either bring a small cushion from home, or ask the cabin crew for a pillow as early as possible in your flight before they start on the meal service so that you can be sure of getting one!

The return flight should be less of a problem - it will be a short 'night' so try to get some sleep. If not, again use your time wisely, and linger over the happy memories of the holiday you've just had before you return home and the hard realities of everyday life kick in.

Hope you have a really wonderful holiday - and look forward to reading your report. All good wishes.
Katiej

You can also buy Ginger in Capsule form which can be used for travel sickness :)

Hope that helps

ness :wave
Thanks guys - can I get the tablet form of ginger and the Valerian tablet in somewhere like Holland and barrett?
You can certainly get Valerian at Boots ... and I'm sure that they'll do Ginger as well.

Try to enjoy your flight, and hope that you feel better than you fear will will. Do let us know how it goes. Happy Holiday!
Hi katiej

Can get ginger at boots or other chemist eg lloyds. Also if you dont mind the smell of lavender put a couple of drops on a hankie and just sniff when required as it has a calming effect.

See ya ness :wave
hi has anyone got any ideas how to stop travel sickness when flying,i dont travel very well by car so i am expecting the same on the plane. :yuck :thanks
Hi Lane ..... I have merged your enquiry with this previous topic, so you may well find some useful information here in earlier posts.

David :wave
I say try the wrist bands - I suffered 24/7 with sickness in both my pregnancies & I swore by these. I bought mine from Boots & they were a godsend, otherwise I would have faded away. Mind you, maybe if I hadn't worn them, I wouldn't have had such big babies!!
thanks cloggy i will try them i havent got the problem of being pregnant so i should be ok as long as i dont put weight on lol :rofl
You could try Bucastem 3mg dose. It's a tablet you put in the side of your cheek (sub lingual) and it dissolves, so if you are feeling sick at least you don't have to swallow a tablet. You can buy them over the counter at a pharmacy.
Laurence
Gosh, I forgot about them - a long time ago, went to a party (didn't want to as too old for that thing now) had too much vino . Got up next day & felt great, but after an hour or so, began to feel really rough. Went to bed, but by teatime had to ring doctors as my eyeballs were hanging out of their sockets from hughie-ing all day. :cry: :cry:

Rang GP crying that I couldn't take any more :cry: :cry: He prescribed BUCASTEM & within minutes I felt abosolutely fine. They are very tiny pink tablets & you put them under your top lip to dissolve. Definitely recommend them - paid by prescription - bet their cheaper over counter!!
Hi Lane

I promise you won't put weight on from these - used to make a full roast dinner every day & have fish finger sandwiches while I waited. Babies were 9lb 11oz & 10lb 10oz!! not bad to say I only weighed 7 stone at beginning. They're now 11 & 12 and both smallest in their year!!
thanks for the info will try them, do you know how much they cost ? although the price doesnt realy matter as long has they work. :thanks
About £4.50 ish I think, depending on where you go.
Laurence
thanks laurence i will check it out tomorrow.
Been informed by the pharmacist at my local Boots this lunchtime that Bucastem is prescription only, she even checked a box and confirmed that this was the case.
i tried as well couldnt get them so l will try the wrist bands, silly question but do just put one on or is it both wrists :?:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.