Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Hi

Have done that route twice before but with Air New Zealand last time was in November. If you have booked two different flights I take it you would have to re - check in for your last flight even with the added security in La I would think you would have time for something to eat that's if you need anything. We've always been well fed on our flights so not sure if you will need anything to eat for that short time your there. Mind you we were disappointed in La Airport as once we were in our terminal there were very few shops to look around. NZ is a beautiful Country which makes up for the flight time!!
As Quantas and BA are part of the same code sharing alliance your baggage should be checked all the way through without any further check in but these days with increased security who knows what will happen once you get to the USA. I did the journey from Auckland with Air New Zealand to LA and then to Europe with Lufthansa and baggage could have been checked all the way through if I hadn't been having a one night stopover in LA. I agree with previous post about LA Airport, you will have plenty of time to eat though, there is not much choice. Enjoy your trip New Zealand is great I can't wait to return.
Hi
We are doing a similar trip but going via Hong Kong. Has anyone got any tips for coping with a trip like this??? We are emmigrating and everything else is ok apart from the flight. I don't fly well and i'm considering taking sleeping tablets. We are flying with Air New Zealand.
Thanx
Jules
Air New Zealand are a reasonable airline with good legroom so you may be able to sleep some of the time. I find it difficult to sleep on long haul flights, my travelling companion falls asleep the minute the plane takes off which makes me really envious. In September 2005 I flew to Australia and bought myself an MP3 player and recorded many hours of music, which really helped to pass the time away. I always ask for an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around when I feel like it. Drink plenty of water and/or juice, flight attendents usually walk round the cabin numerous times during the night with drinks. If they don't go to the galley and help yourself. Drink very little alcohol, too much will dehydrate you. I personally wouldn't take sleeping tablets, but it is up to you. Just think positive about the journey, it is only a couple of days of travelling out of a new life you are going to have in a wonderful country.
Good luck. I wish I was emigrating to NZ, unfortunately I am too old (have tried but NZ government say I am too old).
Hi

I've flown with Air New Zealand twice and also flown long haul with another 2 airlines and I put Air NZ 1st nothing ever seems to be any trouble with the crew. The in flight entertainment helps pass the time and if your a reader take a few good books. One last tip being a female I always take my slippers with me to pop on as soon as I'm seated on the plane I find it more comfortable for being on for so long. I'm planning on visiting Hong Kong in December when returning back to NZ for another holiday you'll have to let me know what it's like
We have a load of info and hints on Hong Kong in our Far East forum.
:D Thanks for the tips. I am really nervous about the long flight but will try the tips you suggested.
I am lucky to be going to NZ and i'm so grateful for the opportunity, i'm just gonna have to get my head round the flight.
Air NZ certainly sound like a very good airline. That's why we chose them.
I will let you know what Hong Kong is like as soon as possible.
Best wishes
Hi I hold a full UK driving licence is this valid to drive in NZ
Yes you just have to take your licence with you if it is current and show it to the hire car people that is all they need
8)

Gday everyone!!!!!!! We have been in NZ for a month now and we are loving every minute......
Although we are certainly not experts, if anyone has a question or needs info on anything to do with this wonderful country, then just ask and if we don't know the answer, we'll find out.

HT have helped me so much in the past, i'd like to be able to give a little back to this site.

Best wishes to all
Jules
Glad you are enjoying life down under, where in NZ are you living, North or South Island? How was your flight and stopover in Hong Kong?
Lovely of you to look in Jules :wave
Glad you are loving it too!!!!!

Thanks for your comments.

Kath x
NZ
8)
Hi Judith and Kath
We are currently living in Lower Hutt, Wellington (North Island) and we are hoping to move to a little village called Eastbourne which is in still in the Lower Hutt area I think. There are some lovely little apartments there that I like the look of!!!
I've been lucky enough to have been offered a great job in Wellington Hospital too!!

Air New Zealand where absolutely fantastic. I was very nervous of such a long flight but after the first half and leg stretch in Hong Kong, the 2nd half was better. If anyone is considering coming over to NZ, have a look at Air New Zealands web site and check out their details. I can recommend them to all. The inflight entertainment was the best ever. I think I watched TV from the time we took off in Heathrow to when we touched down in Auckland. The food was also good and they will give you a special meal if you order it in advance. Nothing was too much trouble for this company.
Hong Kong airport wasn't as big as I expected. We were there for a couple of hours only but it was a great experience. I wish we could've stayed a bit longer.
If you need to know anything else, just ask and we'll do our best to answer asap.
Best wishes
Jules
We went to New Zealand in Jan/ Feb and I agree that Air New Zealand were fantastic. On the way back we also had a 'leg stretch' in Hong Kong. We walked to the cafe/restaurant area and the walkway seemed to go on for miles!! What an immaculately clean and tidy airport too and what a difference to our transit stop in LAX on the outbound journey.
New Zealand itself was totally wonderful!!
NZ
What was LAX like then??? Sounds bad!! Hong Kong was very impressive as far as cleanliness and customer service. I would have liked to have stayed overnight in HK though but we didn't have the time to do that.
We also managed to obtain our work permits this morning which was a bit easier than I imagined. :lol:

So I can start my new job as soon as poss.

Where did you stay when you were in NZ Oklahoma???
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.