Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi Linni,

My name is Kate and I work for Thomas Cook in Tunisia. A taxi will be quite expensive and I think you are probably better getting on the coach. A yellow taxi will cost you around 130TD. It won't be that much quicker than the coach either. Hope this helps. Have a nice holiday

Kindest Regards
Kate
Hi

We leave early saturday morning to go to a hotel near hammamet (hammamet gardens i think) and I was wondering what the best way to get the transfer from tunis airport to hammamet is??

How much would a taxi be?

What are the other options?
Right!! Bringing this topic back to life.. for 2005

I will be travelling from Tunis airport to PEK in October 2005. What is the taxi fare for this nowadays?

I have been looking at alternatives, such as train from Tunis to Sousse (estimated 2.5 hours), then taxi from Sousse to PEK. My questions regarding the train journey are as follows:

Is Tunis train station near to the airport? within walking distance? and if not, how long is the taxi journey and how much would I expect to pay?

If I get off at Sousse, which station would be best for my onward journey to PEK? Sousse (Kalaa) or Sousse (Ville)?

Can I get an interconnecting train from one of the Sousse stations to PEK or do I have to get a taxi?

Has anyone done this journey before? and if so, what were your experiences?

Has anyone done the louage (shared taxi) from Tunis airport to PEK? If so, how much is that and was that a hair raising experience? LOL

I know I have a million and one questions but I sure as hell am not paying the equivalent of £70 for a taxi one way, that is excursion money.

Thanks all for in advance for all answers to my questions.
If you are hoping to use the trains make sure of the timetable (which you can get on the internet) as although trains are good value they are not as frequent as in the UK. A louage to Sousse is quite a good idea, though you would probably need a taxi to the louage station at Tunis and another from Sousse to PEK. I used a louage from Sousse to Tunis a few years ago and it dropped me in the town, so I had to finish the journey to the airport by taxi.
we travelled by coach on a day trip from PEK to Tunis, it is a long way away took approx 2hrs if not slightly longer.

Monistair airport is the closest only about half hour away if that.

The trains are not so frequent as the UK, we visited a train station and 2 trains left 1 at 7am and 1 at 8.20pm and only 1 came back at around 4pm ! :o The trains also looked a bit ropey, jam packed with people I thought rush hour in the UK was bad, you aint seen anything like this before lol

However you travel hope its a safe 1 ! :wink:
Just put 'Tunisia - Train travel' into Google and you get a lot of useful info, including some timetables. Don't use the metro during the rush hour though, as it makes the Northern Line look like a picnic. :roll: Incidentally, you can get a seven day 'carte bleu' (season ticket) for first class travel on all Tunisian trains, including the metro, for TDN 27 (about £13.50) on production of a passport sized photo.
Hi all

Thanks for getting back to me. I've got a train timetable, all the train times, etc.

I don't have a choice about Tunis airport, as I am unable to get a flight to Monastir during this time without paying over £200 for the privilege.

I know it will be a long journey but as I said before, "I'll be damned if I'm giving a taxi driver the equivalent of £70 to take me to PEK".

Any more suggestions and advice is well appreciated, thanks.
Hi all

Just an update to let you know that I've solved my dilemna. If I book with medhotels.com then I can pay for a return transfer from Tunis Airport for just £10.00.

This is weird, because I was on holidayhotels.com (same group) and they don't give you the option of booking transfer to hotel from airport.

So anyway, thanks all for your help. I haven't been on a coach for over 10 years, so this will be a laugh.. or not :shock:
Lots of brownie points for Medhotels then. :) I've used them for hotels and found them excellent but didn't know they did transfers if you book on line. Most travel companies charge £15 return from Monastir to Sousse or PEK, which is why I get a taxi when I arrive. :roll:
Yeah aslemma

They do transfers to and from the airport for all hotels that you book with them. You can book during the payment process or online at a later date. It's only a facility for medhotels customers though.

Check the site out for more info.
Hi,

Although I have done a few forum searches for these, I'm still a little unsure and would very much like some guidence.

Firstly, we arrive at Tunis at 2300 and need to get to our hotel (Iberostar Soleria) in Hammamet. The hotel quotes us 80Euro for a taxi. Is this right - I saw sample prices of £30 on here for the trip, but didn't know if this included night supplement. £60 does seem a little steep, however.

Secondly, we are used to driving abroad and so would like to hire a car. Is this a good idea or are local roads so bad as to make this very unsafe? For example, is the driving worse than, say, Italy or Greece? What firms are the best for hire - Avis is asking about £400 for a A/C Astra (the smallest we could have) - is this a decent price. Again it does seem rather dear.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron
You can hire a car from a local company quite a bit cheaper but be warned, it's not the roads which are bad but the drivers, many of whom seem to have a death wish. :roll: Also quite a few of the road signs are in Arabic only. Motorway police are everywhere and you are likely to be pulled over and paperwork inspected fairly frequently.
thanks. I'll think about that.

Any idea on the cost of the taxis for the transfer from Tunis to Hammamet?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.