Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
i am also going to tunisia in the last week in August and the 1st week in September 2009.

i also went last year but for only 3 days in Ramadam, we dint think it changed really, but i was wondering if any one has any thing that changes we should know of?

thank you
Ramadan is early this year beginning on 20th August .
We were there last year and the only thing that we noticed was some of the bars closed for about 20 minutes at sun set to allow the staff time to eat.
Taxis may be in shorter supply for a while after sunset, again to allow the drivers to break the fast. You won't be able to buy alcohol in the supermarkets, though you can still get it in the hotels, and some (though by no means all) of the cafes will only let you sit inside to eat during the hours of fasting. The train and bus timetables may also change slightly. Apart from that life goes on as usual for visitors and you won't notice much difference.
Hi all :)

Alcohol is still sold to tourists in the off licence in PEK during Ramadan I don't really drink myself but bought some local wine to take home for friends last year and the year before during Ramadan.

Leanna x
I couldn't get it in Magazin Generale in Sousse last year, and I even got caught in a storm and soaked to the skin on the way back to my hotel as a punishment but PEK was obviously different. :rofl
I know there is already a topic on Ramadan but I just want to ask one question we were thinking of going 1st to 15th September but have just read that you are not allowed to eat outside during Ramadan you can only eat inside,can anyone confirm this is true if it is we will have to make alternative arrangements any information would be very helpfull.
Thanks Geovil
Hi again, As you will have read in the topic specifically on Ramadan, some of the restaurants will not allow you to sit outside to eat during the day, though I believe others will. You will still be able to eat inside. Cafés etc. at your hotel will not be affected. After sunset, when Moslems break their fast, there will be no restrictions. I have personally never found Ramadan a problem but if you prefer to avoid it, and haven't already booked, come out after about 20th September.
Hi Aslemma
Sorry never replied earlier but thanks for the information can't see there being a problem,so we have booked for the 30th August to 13th September,do you know off hand if the Hotels have a specific check in time on arrival.
Thanks Geovil
Hi again Geovil, Can't remember exactly for the Royal Beach but I think it is usually between about mid-day and 2 p.m. for most of the hotels, to give the cleaners time to clean the room from previous guests. If your room isn't ready there will be no problem as you can just leave your bags (still safely locked) somewhere in the hotel and either get a snack in the snack bar, put your swimming costumes on and walk out of the back of the hotel onto the beach, or go and explore the area. I'll be round the corner in the Kaiser from 22nd September so will miss you.

And before we get our wrists slapped, I've just realised we're seriously :offtop here so I'll apologise for both of us. :oops:
We were going to book the Kaiser but couldn't find any reviews on it so we booked the Royal Beach Hotel what do you think of the Kaiser.
Geovil
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.