General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
That's disappointing reading David as one of my reason's for booking here as an alternative to Greece was the expectation that I wouldn't spend so much there.

Not sure about statistics really, I suppose you can read into them what you will. How do they know the prices for Turkey this year as the season hasn't started yet :que

I won't let it put me off and I shall wait and see, come August!
summer 2009, £180 was my weeks spending money in Marmaris in june on a clubbing holiday. I had taken £500 over but did not need it. I know for a fact if I go clubbing in Spain for a week that would do me 2 nights maybe 3. Maybe for some holiday makers, Spain will be cheaper but not for younger clubbing holiday makers.
Give me Turkey any day, even if it does become more expensive - at least I know I'll be guaranteed a warm welcome and genuine hospitality which I've found sadly lacking in the "Eurozone"!
I holidayed for years in Greece and Cyprus prior to the decline in the exchange rate and personally found the welcome there just as friendly as that we got in Turkey last year. However I can't agree that prices are more expensive in Turkey based on what we spent last year in Icmeler and Oludeniz (which is supposed to be one of the more expensive resorts).
our shopping basket of eight tourist staples

I think the key here lies in the above statement - what are those "tourist staples" that define the outcome of the report? Surely people go on holiday for different things, so what may be one person's "staples" may be someone else's "luxuries", or even "don't bothers" :que
Exactly. I mean I go to Spain or a Spanish Island every year and we spend most of our money on eating out and having a beer or two in the evening.
So my 8 items would be:

A meal
a bottle of wine
A pint (ok 500ml) of Lager
Ice cream
Cans of pop (bottles)
Bus fares
ermm, It used to be prices of spirits to bring home but with the £ taking a battering last year it was actually cheaper in my local off licence.
ermm, bread? maybe for a lunchtime snack.

BUT Someone elses 8 item could be completely different.

Like: Club prices, long drinks, cigarettes, Sun loungers, Taxis, Massages, Beer, Games of pool.

So is there anywhere that shows the 8 items?

Also is Spains 30% drop going to be for this summer coming as last summer it seemed they'd put their prices up (and not because of the £ either)
I went to turkey for the forst and only time in 2005 , enjoyed the holiday but the resort was not the right place for us as a family and found it really expensive , holidayed in Rhodes 2005 and found it cheaper an for eating out and drinks than Turkey , last year visited Tunisia wonderful place , and again much much cheaper than Turkey , this year going to Crete . I do think that it depends what people from a holiday , on what they spend .
Well in 2008 we went to a Spanish island and to Turkey and we spent a lot more in Spain.

I think it depends where you go and where you buy your shopping! But we still prefer Turkey.
Like Kedi I had a holiday in Spain and Turkey in the same year a few months apart and spent much less in Turkey for a much better all round experience. I found Turkey far more reasonable for eating out etc and in every way much nicer. I can't imagine going back to Spain any time soon - Turkey is always going to be the best choice for me, and even if someone tells me Spain is cheaper, that will not affect my decision!
The survey carried out by the Post Office Holiday Cost Barometer provides prices for items using data supplied by tourist offices of participating countries, and also by individual research.
It's based on the lowest average resort prices for each item and the Post Office is reliant on the accuracy of information received from tourist authorities.
So IMO the survey is giving prices that are available in the resorts and it all boils down to where you decide to eat/drink and shop.

The 8 basic items are:
1. A cup of coffee in a bar/café
2. Bottle of Heineken in a bar/café
3. Bottle/can of Coca Cola in a bar/café
4. Bottle of mineral water bought in the supermarket
5. Suncream (SPF 15) (supermarket)
6. Insect repellent (supermarket)
7. Pack of Marlboro Lights ciggies
8. 3 course evening meal (including bottle of house wine) in a local restaurant
Also is Spains 30% drop going to be for this summer coming as last summer it seemed they'd put their prices up (and not because of the £ either)

Again I found that to be the greedy British bars, but the Spanish places (where the Spanish go) had in fact reduced their prices last year to compensate for the exchange rate for sterling, and a typical example would be a cup of coffee...it's still between €1 and €1.20 ...which has been the same for the last 3 years, despite the increase in the price of a bottle of milk.
Give me Turkey any day, even if it does become more expensive - at least I know I'll be guaranteed a warm welcome and genuine hospitality which I've found sadly lacking in the "Eurozone"!

Personal choice....You can keep Turkey because I wouldn't go back if you paid me, even if it was the cheapest place on earth, and I found that warm welcome was overbearing, false and slimey being "pawed" and unabe to look at anything for a second without them "all over you".

Sanji

we have had 3 trips to Turkey in the last few years, i found it No cheaper than Greece or Spain [and i don't use tourist bars/restaurants] and sorry to say [as i work with turks who are great people] I found most of those i came in contact with were, money grabbing, impolite to the point of insolent we tried 3 different areas just incase we had chosen wrong,

we have since been back to the Algarve,Greece and Cyprus [all considered to be expensive] and spent no more than we did in Turkey,
our next holiday is a family affair in Zakynthos and the one after [still to be arranged] will be either Greece, Malta,Cyprus, or possibly Bulgaria [fed up with spain having been to one resort or another over the last 9 yrs]

yasus
wizard
Maybe they are basing the findings on "expensive resorts" in Turkey.
I have found the resorts in the Antalya area to be more expensive than the Bodrum and Dalaman area.
I went to Turkey 20m years ago a few times and had a good 10 year break while we went to other parts of the world and different countries in Europe.
We returned to Turkey about 6 years ago and visited,Side,Olu Deniz,Marmaris,Gumbet and Icmeler and found Icmeler to be the cheapest as there is a vast amount of restaurants so plenty of competition.
We go at the end of the season and its a very relaxed place now as the music is switched off at midnight and the hassle has stopped due to strict new rules.
I have booked a holiday in Gumbet in May and Icmeler in October but am looking for something for March.
My hubby is looking at Sharm and Tunisia,but I would love to return to Portugal or Spain to compare the prices to Turkey.
I can only speak as I find, and personally, I'd opt for Turkey any time, even if it did become more expensive than the likes of Spain. Certainly, eating out we've found to be far cheaper in Turkey than elsewhere.
As for money-grabbing, insolent attitudes, I've found that to be far more prevalent in the Eurozone than in Turkey. We've made some really genuine friends in Turkey and as I said before, we've experienced some real, genuine warmth, friendship and hospitality the likes of which we haven't found while on holiday elsewhere. Maybe it does depend where you go - I think it's also got a lot to do with how you treat people too.
I must admit I've never been to Turkey because my wife's blonde and has been told that the Turkish go mad for anyone blonde and don't stop hasseling you! Plus all I hear about is the constant trying to get you into their shops etc! The other reason is that it's also very hot in the summer. 40 degrees plus!
my daughter is blonde , at the time we went to turkey she was 16 and as we were walking to the village one evening a group of turkish men were at the bottom of the road and one of them actually started videoing her walking along , even though she was with us mum dad and brother they didn't seem to care , she felt very intimadated by it and kept turning her face and and body away from them .....in the end her dad had to be quite blunt with them and put his hand over the camera and told them off . Ok no harm was done and for som,e people they mght have enjoyed this kind of attention , but it spoilt it for my daughter . i would return to turkey as i enjoyed the scenery , the people are very nice , but at the end of the day they will do all they can for you just to get your custom, each to their own but i found it over powering with the pressure to get you in to restaurants or shops . We also found it more expensive than Greece or Tunisia , we dont use British style bars and restaurants .
Chivas, please don't worry, your wife will not get any hassle just for being blonde. Poeple seem to think that Turksih men have never seen blonde women before but there are actually a lot of blonde Turkish women. They also will not hassle your wife if you are together.

It can get very hot but no hotter than Greece.

A lot of people are put off of Turkey for similar reasons that you mention but 90% of people who go there love it and return.

Obvioulsy it doens't suit everyone and you also can get rude people such as those Lindy encountered but you can get people like that anywhere in the world.

I love Turkey, the people are friendly, the scenery is lovely, the food is gorgeous and the history and culture are fascinating.

Kedi
Chivas69 wrote:
I must admit I've never been to Turkey because my wife's blonde and has been told that the Turkish go mad for anyone blonde and don't stop hasseling you!

I've got light hair and it goes blonde in the sun , while my wife has dark hair and people often think she's italian, and although we haven't been to turkey , when we were in tunisia i got a bit "too much" attention from some locals, now i'm quite open-minded etc, but there's no way i act, walk or dress as if i bat for the other side, my wife thinks it hilarious, she gets no attention and they're all over me like a rash. i know i can handle it , but it must be a bit concerning for some blonde women.

one of my workmates went to turkey last year with his girlfriend and her sister and partner, now both women are half turkish and they understood clearly all the comments that were being made by groups of turkish men as they all walked down the streets when going out at night , to put it mildly it ruined their holiday, but to be fair, groups of men can be like that in any country?
in the end , cost is important with holidays , but what you like best is probably more important.
sanji wrote:

The 8 basic items are:
1. A cup of coffee in a bar/café
2. Bottle of Heineken in a bar/café
3. Bottle/can of Coca Cola in a bar/café
4. Bottle of mineral water bought in the supermarket
5. Suncream (SPF 15) (supermarket)
6. Insect repellent (supermarket)
7. Pack of Marlboro Lights ciggies
8. 3 course evening meal (including bottle of house wine) in a local restaurant

Sanji

i think thats a pretty fair list , i certainly buy most of things when on holiday, although i would say that 2, 7 and 8 are more of a necessity, i'd delist the heineken and insert san miguel though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.