Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Yes definitely better value than Europe at the moment. The exchange rate is about the same as last summer, so although prices have gone up over the years, you will get a lot more for your money. Eating and drinking is still very reasonable.
We went to Spain earlier this year and with the poor exchange rate it was very expensive. We have also travelled to Egypt and Turkey in the last ferw weeks. Both were much cheaper, Egypt being the cheapest. I have been visiting Turkey for over 16 years and the cost of living has risen quite a lot in recent years but it will seem much better value than euro countries. A little tip - you get a better exchange rate changing your money in Turkey.
You will certainly get more for your money in Turkey than in anywhere with the Euro at the moment. As JMK ays change your money over there and you will get a better rate than in the UK
It depends on where you go in Turkey. I have been to Olu Deniz and I wouldn't say it was that cheap really. I normally go AI but we do go for a drink out most evenings and have the odd meal out and shop now and again.

Its exceptionally beautiful there and I think if you want to eat in nice restaurants in a decent setting, tableclothes, good service you tend to have to pay for it. If you are prepared to eat up the back streets you can get better deals. I think it's misleading to say it's very cheap, as its a huge country and it's better for folk to know what they are getting in to. If you book an apartment and then need to cater for yourself for breakfast and lunch plus eat and drink out every evening I think it is unlikely a family of four could manage on under 100 pound a day. The med coast also appears quite dear as well Side, Belek etc Cheaper resorts appear to be Gumbet and Ichmeler according to what is reported on here.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Doe :wave
Spain and in particular Benidorm still represents the best value for the Holidaymaker, Example, Alcohol Benidorm Pint 1 euro, Turkey 4 lira, Benidorm 1 short 50 cents Turkey 6 Lira, 3 course meal £5.99 Turkey £6.99. Flights are also much much cheaper to go to Spain, Yes accomadation in Spain is far more expensive but much better than Turkey
The biggest difference's between these two countries is the hospitality part where Turkey wins hands down in every aspect and also your just about Guarnteed Sunshine.
Above prices for Turkey are based on Icmeler which is the cheapest resort by far.
Sorry, no disrespect, but you wouldnt get me to Benidorm :rofl no matter how cheap the drink is... I do love Turkey, love the hospitality there, have been several times before discovering Egypt, El Gouna in particular, have been several times but would like a change. We do visit Spain, our daughter lives there and do love the country but they have folk visiting the times we can go. Also like the Greek islands but again, this is euro now. We have had a big trip to our sons wedding this year in New Zealand, via expensive Dubai and Sydney so looking for somewhere with good accommodation, no 18 - 30s, close to bars and restaurants and somewhere to have a wander in the evening, nice pool and close to beach and most importantly good value for money... not looking for much, I know ;) I know that Turgetreis is meant to be nice, any recommendation on accommodation there?
Turgutreis is vey nice, lots of dedent restaurants and bars and a nice beach. I haven't actually stayed there but have visited loads. Bitez is also lovely, again lots of restaurants, good beach and nice accomodation, I have stayed at both Basri Apartments and Summer Gardens and would recommend either of those.

Another place on the Bodrum Peninsular is Ortakent, it has a lovely beach there and as it is more popular with turksih tourists it is cheaper to eat and drink out there. Again I haven't stayed there but I used to go for lunch sometimes and to the beach for the day.

Kedi
We have been going to Turkey for past 6 years so can't really compare to other places but one thing we noticed this year in Belek is that things are priced in Euros first, so if you ask to pay in lira they convert it from euros into lire (They don't actually have a lira price) so those thinking they will be better off going there may be surprised.
Hi ElleDee, As has already been suggested, Olu Deniz and Icmeler are good places, also have a look at Altinkum. With regards currency, in to-days press, the exchange rate is 2.37 lira to the £, whereas in Turkey it is 2.52 lira. So if you go, just take £50 worth of Lira to get you started and change the rest as and when you need it out there, take sterling. You can eat as cheaply or as expensive as you want, the best thing to do is to look for restaurants that do 3 Course Set Menus(you can chop and change to suit your taste at most establishments !!). The main factor in you enjoying your holiday to Turkey will be the interaction with the local people, give them a few minutes of your time and the world will be your oyster. Most first timers to this country end up re-booking as soon as they get back.

Les
Thanks for the useful comments guys.

Been reading a bit about Dalyan... folk seem to return year after year to this place?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.