Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Whiskas...

The turtles seem to have a favourite... Mounda Beach

Although most sandy beaches that face south in Greece do have nest sites because the turtles eggs rely on the warmth of the sun to incubate them. If you don't get to Mounda have a look over the link as there's other beaches that have nest sites.

http://www.kateliosgroup.org/beaches.htm

Paul..
hi we were in lassi a couple of years ago and there were tutrles in argostoli harbour by the fishing boats most mornings swimming around quite happily might be worth a look there . kevcb1
Hi Whiskas

Kefalonia Beaches and strong sea currents

Just a note on some of the beaches Myrtos Beach is one.. have a read over this page i have highlighted Strong Sea Currents to make it easier to note the beaches..

I forgot to answer the Timing question... They generally start laying around mid May in Greece but, again this is regulated by warm weather and the sea temperatures.

Having snorkelled with turtles i noticed they follow the warmer pockets of water off the beaches, and if you swim along a beach you'll feel the pockets of warmer water created by gentle currents as you swim in and out of them.

Paul..
We used to go into Argostoli at 2pm and turtles could be seen next to the harbour wall at the back of the markets.
Oh wow, thanks for the replies! Can't wait!
it is actually quite a small population of tyurtles that nest on kefalonia, ltough quite a well protected one. mounda beach has not suffered the same development as those on neighbouring zakynthos, where most turtles nest.

however, this is not really the right time for turtlkes. the seas are still too cold for them. they come up to nest in mainly in july and august.

they are in any case now an endangered species and you are not that likely to see one. so sorry to disappoint!
There is a bridge in Agostoli with a tavern overlooking the water and I believe around 6 to 7pm you will see the turtles it's a protected nature resvoise I have never actually seen them but the taverna is good.
I suspect that these are terrapins rather than the sea turtles I belive the original enquiry was over?

Cheers,
Jet
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.