Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Before you hire a motorbike, check that your travel insurance covers you for driving one and many don't.

luci :wave
Hi Helen
We were there in July and the roads were fairly quiet and in pretty good condition but away from the main areas you have to contend with mountainous terrain and hairpin bends to make your eyes water. Saying that , the road from Lassi to Argostoli is excellent. There are 2 Saints days in August and by all accounts the roads at the Monastry, New Cathedral and in Sami get gridlocked at weekends with ( so I was told ) mainlanders and Italians in campervans :rofl
Those may be days best spent around the pool
Lally
I have hired scooters several times in the past on Kefalonia and the main roads are fine as long ........as long as you take care. Some roads have sheer drops of about 500ft literally at the side of the road! :really
One thing to be aware of, i may be wrong on this but i'm sure someone will correct me but i understand that you now need a full motorcycle licence to ride even a scooter in Greece. until recently, we used to be able to ride a scooter on a full car licence but apparently this is no longer the case.
The police are really clamping down on hire companies who hire scooters out to people with the incorrect licance and i have heard tales of riders who have fallen foul of this law.
There are a lot of small 4 wheel "carts" appearing on the islands and i understand that these have been brought in by the hire companies to get around the change in the law.

John
The Foreign Office web page on Greece is quite clear about hiring motorbikes with advice on insurance, helmets and licences.

FCO Road Travel Section
Thanks for the link - it looks like we will not be able to hire one now, as although hubby had a 125 for years in this country he does not have a motor bike license -he will be disappointed. :(
You would be an awful lot safer in a hire car than a motor bike or scooter. It really makes me cringe when I see young people with bare arms and legs riding around (often with no helmets either) - it doesn't bear thinking about what would happen if they came off. On any Greek islands you can find pot-holed roads, loose gravel, etc - lots of hazards that could cause the unwary and unexperienced rider to fall off with potentially disasterous results - and as mentioned, you probably won't be covered by insurance. If the authorities in Greece are starting to clamp down, then it's about time.

Manybe I sound like an old fuss pot but yes, I am trying to put anyone off. Better that than be scarred for life (or worse). Ok, off my soap box now!
Mariah this part made me chuckle
when I see young people with bare arms and legs riding around

Hubby and I are in our early 50's and are certainly no road hogs :rofl . Thanks for the info though. I hope that there is a decent bus service then, as there is no way that hubby would drive a car abroad :que
Honestly Helen the roads are fine there! We used to get a beach buggy - or a jeep. NO problems at all. Anything you need to know don't hesitate to mail me ;)
Decent bus service? :rofl :rofl :rofl
I think of all the Greek islands i have been to, Kefalonia, for some reason must have one of the worst bus services i have seen.
If you are staying in Skala, there are only 2 buses a day to Argostoli, one at around 7am and the other at around 0900. The only bus coming back down from Argostoli leaves at around 1430!
Places like Lourdas are not served by buses and Sami and Aghia Efima are only served by about 2 buses a day. Some parts of the island have not seen a service bus for about 3 years now.
As Betty Boop says, driving on Kefalonia is fine. I have hired a car every time i have visited the island and have had no problems. I simply pull over and let any locals past if they are in a hurry!
Hire the car and take your time exploring, there are some wonderful sights to see!

John :cheers
;) ONLY time we had a problem...was when you could actually DRIVE up to ruins at Assos. LOL. I don't think you CAN now! It was single track...and we and both our young boys were in a beach buggy! O.H. said to get out and walk....and if need be if it went over the edge ..he'd jump LOL! All was fine. Until the journey home! Knocking noise! Stopped on one of the hairpin bends....brick behind rear wheel.

Errrrm..... the wheel had been put back on....with the nuts FINGER TIGHT!!! OMG!

We found tools in the boot.....tightened them....and went on our way! Other than that Helen.....LOL...as the greeks say NO PROBLEM!!! lol! XXX
Keffaddict - we're staying in Lassi. Just told hubby and the answer was the same - he won't drive a car abroad :que Betty Boop - beach buggy - now there might be a chance there.
;) or what about a quad bike Helen? We've hired one of these over the last few years when we've been in Greece, in Kos and Crete.
Just told hubby and the answer was the same - he won't drive a car abroad

surprised at that Helen. Considering the amount of driving he's done in this country. We hired an open top jeep many years ago in Minorca and also a car on Corfu. We did get lost a couple of times in Corfu :rofl but I think hubby'd hire a car again if it meant it was the only way to see the sights.

It would obviously depend on the country. We've been to some places where we've said we'd never hire a car :duh
Hi Helen - you're about the same age as us then. It does surprise me that people who won't drive a car abroad, will consider a motor bike or scooter. Four wheels and a roof are safer than two and it's easy to take your time. If you avoid big towns, the roads are often very quiet - but it's obviously up to you.

I have seen a couple of motorbile accidents in my time. One when I was 16 and had a boyfriend with a motorbike. The biker in front skidded on some gravel - the bike slid one way across the road and he slid the other. I saw the state of his full leather gear - if he hadn't been wearing that.... The other accident I saw was fatal. 'Nuff said.

Please be careful and wary - even of quad bikes and the like, these are just as dangerous. Sermon over!!
The couple in the apt. next to us in Skiathos rented a scooter and hit a large stray dog that appeared from nowhere. Mainly cuts & bruises but he broke his ankle. Turned out he was a pro. footballer and his contract forbade him to ride bikes. They were more concerned about the consequences than their injuries.
surprised at that Helen. Considering the amount of driving he's done in this country.

if he spends a lot of time behind the wheel then I'm not surprised ... I do about 2500 miles a week and will not hire abroad not that i have any fear but it would not be a holiday for me if i had to drive, plus i would not be able to enjoy the red wine and local bevies

wiz
Wiz,
2500 miles a week sounds like hell, you must wear out a few cars!!
Hi Helen.. :wave:

You'll be on holiday so there's no rush to get anywhere..

The only thing i would say is because the summer weather is so dry it might seem like the perfect place to hire and ride a bike but the roads can be dusty and slippery on bends. Make sure hubby gives the bike a good check over especially the tyres for cuts etc and you should be OK.

Paul.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.