Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We live up a lane that leads only to our house and using it as cover, the other week someone threw between 25 and 30 black bin bags full of household rubbish over the wall into a neighbours property.It seems Goa is not alone in anti social habits !
We live in the beautiful countryside, and it happens here!! :que
We live in the beautiful countryside, and it happens here!!

I don't believe it happens to this extent anywhere in the UK.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/mmacbain/090.jpg
I don't believe it happens to this extent anywhere in the UK.

You pinched my photo Max !!! :really :really :really

I was flabbergasted when I saw that all tipping, I mean, you can't do that without being noticed by someone surely !It's the main road and right in the open. The worst part is that many see it as an extra facility, an off road parking area and convenient toilet.
Not pinched - just misappropriated. :tup

Sorry - should have asked first.
I was joking Max, I don't mind a photo being reused in a different thread !
Just want to let you know Max, that your that although your e-mail was not acknowleged, your letter with photo was published in the Herold last week, good job I always read the local papers, when in Goa, :tup

xx lassi
After 5 years visiting North Goa, I swapped to the South in 2010 and 2011.
It still is slightly cleaner, but the rubbish is starting to pile up here also now.
Even right next to signs pleading to "Keep our town clean".
And in South Goa it's NOT mainly tourist rubbish. It's NOT mostly cigarette packets and plastic bottles.
Tourists don't dump half used bags of cement and other house build rubbish.
It's the locals who are the worst culprits.
Just want to let you know Max, that your that although your e-mail was not acknowleged, your letter with photo was published in the Herold last week, good job I always read the local papers, when in Goa,

Excellent result - wish I could read it. :think
Have you looked in the archives of the Herald letters page?

If not google Herald and go the letters page then click on the calendar for March and have a search through them. Hope you find it. I have letters printed in the paper and found them this way.
I read it as well Max - good on yer ! Been something in the papers everyday about garbage collection, and yet again It seems to be down to cost and who is responsible (what a surprise).
I'm not one for going round taking pics, but I do take notice. The areas we have been to/pass each day, don't appear to be any worse than other years - still not nice though.
The worst we did see, was when taking a walk down the beach road going by Frank Zappas and Bobbys shack - that is really bad, a big dumping ground and clear evidence it's from the shacks in that area, as we witnessed a guy walking from shack with boxes and throw them on to the other rubbish.
The thing is, if there is no garbage collection what are they to do with it, where do they take it ?
There are rubbish collections - have you never seen the old fashioned dustbin lorries on the main road? They are the old type with the lift up sides and they tip the bins inside, if you have not seen them you can smell them. :D

The shacks could sort out the rubbish problem between themselves and take it to the main road for the lorry but it is easier to throw it on the nearest piece of waste ground.
I last saw a bin wagon 3 years ago. I read about disputes in the local paper about irregular collections, it wouldn't take much thought to send bin wagons down the beach areas for collections, even if the shacks had a small charge placed on them the problem would be solved, but being India..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.