Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
United Airlines
81 Posts
Ive flown united and i could not fault them, very good staff, great IFE and meals were good too.
Please can anyone tell me if you can prebook your seats online on United airlines

thankyou
Yes you can pick your seats online,cheers Mark
Thankyou

Has anyone been on one of their flights were it says 'change planes'
We are flying to LA :?
Yes...that is an interesting point from the previous poster. What is the policy these days for entry into the USA? For example we are flying to Las Vegas with UA via Chicago ex LHR. As the US authorities make such a hoo ha on arriving in "the land of the free" does it mean that all baggage must be picked up on first entry into USA and then re-checked for onward domestic flight? Also does one expect a fairly lenghtly delay in clearing immigration at Chicago O'Hare airport?

Nivsy
Nivsy

Yes you do have to clear customs and immigrations at your first point of entry. We did this last xmas at Dulles Washington enroute to Orlando with United. Immigrations took about an hour because our plane was late and 3 international planes landed together. United were brilliant they held the internal flight for the connecting passengers. On our return flight from Orlando we were delayed 3 hours due to a crash and once again United held the Trans Atlantic flight the 56 passengers on the Orlando to Washington flight.

jack
Nivsy, O'Hare isn't that bad, I travel on my own to visit family from Manchester to O'Hare, security is high but not over the top like some places, plus it runs smoothly. The weird thing is sometimes taking of your shoes to go through the scanners. Also they can search through luggage at random so they suggest you don't lock it on return flight, but they now have big scanners and will scan your case by check in and but a security check tag on and let you lock it there,
Have a great time Jay
Thanxs Jay. Looks as if our flight to Las Vegas from O'Hare is likely to be with Ted Airlines...does this make sense to anyone? I know litlle about this trip as I was not involved in the booking (shock horror!!!!!!!!). What do UA use any way from LHR to O'Hare these days? 777? 747 (400)?

Nivsy
I've heard of TED - they are the low cost arm of uniTED. No frills - coffee and soft drink is free but food is paid for. Supposed to be OK I have heard.
mark 26!
can you please direct me,to where you are able, to pre book,your seats on line?
would really prefer,to do this,but can't find,the place to do it!
thanks in advance
tracy
yeah i would like to know that as well.....not being patient these days I kind off gave up with the United Website!!

Nivsy
Hi,sorry i never mentioned it but,you can only pre-book your seats if you booked your tickets through the united website,but if not you can join united mileage plus and once you recieve your membership number you can check online to see what seats you will be in,hope this helps,cheers Mark
hi mark!
thanks for that,it's really worth knowing.
it's a long flight, to hawaii & i wouldn't want to be seperated,from my grandaughter!
thanks again
tracy
Having just returned from Las Vegas and Chicago using united (report on Vegas to follow) I have a few remarks about United.

The B777 out to Chicago was pretty full and had fairly reasonable seats towards the rear of the aircraft. Problem number 1 - IFE monitor unservicable. Cabin staff not interested until I requested a report form to be completed. Food was reasonable and while the crew were by no means attentive the 9 hours passed fairly easily. All the cabin staff were by the way British. Flight crew from the US. 5 dollars for a beer and all spirtis were the same (makes u appreciate BA and the service of BA quite frankly - including the touches of tooth brush and socks etc - which United just did not have)

Jumped on TED down to Vegas. (4 hours flying from Chicago). We got a free up grade to Economy plus and the leg room on board on the AB 320 was better than the economy on the 777. Again and naturally for a low cost operator you pay for everything. The positive thing about United and TED is that the radio for IFE also has on Channel 9 the radio transmisssion between Air Traffic Control and the plane. For aircraft enthuisiasts its a gem and can help pass away the hours.(come on BA go for that)

On the return quite frankly we found the ground staff of United at both Chicago and Vegas as really poor and almost down right rude. They were not prepared to listen to requests (we were up grading by paying and still tried to get us to check in with e ticket - which was for economy), their boarding procedure is a joke - especially at Chicago - and as one of our party had a broken angle their dealings for special requests for assistance were beyond a joke - although by the return leg they actually did have someone at Chicago to meet us and assist.

Better the devil you know, and while this is the first - and possibly last time i use United - if i complain about BA in these forums - please shoot me down!

Nivsy
i have just booked united airlines heathrow to washington, i have flewn to the US a couple of time but not on UA, i understand that they charge for alcholic drinks (what do they charge) but what about soft drinks? also food, in past flights we have been given a choice of complimentary main meal and a snack just before landing is this the same with UA, finnally entertainment are they the same as others with seat back tv screens and several choices of new films with complimentary headphones. any info appreciated
I wasn't charged for alcohol when I flew to LA with United. That was a while back though so maybe they've changed their policy.

Bridd
Most US carriers now charge for alcohol
we fly with them,in oct.have recieved a letter,saying that, they have now,started to charge,for alcohol.
they do have seat back t.v's,but not sure if, the headphones are complimentary.maybe a look on their web-site,may give you the answer.
tracy
Yes the headphones were complimentary when we flew with them in November. They were quite good too and seemed to cancel out most of the cabin noise.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.