Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Alsa

There are still a lot of places that don't take credit cards though a lot more shops, filling stations etc. are now accepting them. I sometimes use my credit card for petrol and in our local Real supermarket and as yet have never been asked for proof of identity. A lot of germans still don't own a credit card and a lot who do have them say it's just for emergencies or for when they are on holiday.. Most will use their debit card at checkout.
As for ID, I hate to carry my passport with me, and I don't like to carry around my old well worn paper style german driving licence, the photo was taken in 1972 !! I have a copy of my passport photo page that I carry with me, apparently I am breaking the law (UK law) by having a coloured copy but a black and white one is OK. It has been accepted as proof of identity for official purposes over here.

Judith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.