Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Have only been to Saigon but it was fabulous and would love to return and see more of Vietnam. We flew in through Bangkok.
Some trip reports for you to have a look at
Shirleyv's
Zabka's
my one :)
Remember you need a visa for Vietnam
Hi Kelster6911 ,

After doing some research, we have opted to do Vietnam in 2 visits (as it is such a large and diverse place) and it is difficult to match climate and weather in North and South. The weather in and around Hanoi is not too great when it is at its best in the South.

We are in Vietnam and Cambodia at about the same time as you are in Goa - we've opted for a change this year after visiting Goa for the past two years.

There are several "gateways" to Vietnam but no direct flights. Like Fiona, we have opted for a route via Bangkok. The reasons were many but we like extra space on the aircraft. We are flying Business class on EVA Air for about the same cost as PE on British Airways. We frequently use EVA PE (elite class) on this route - 38" legroom for a very good price.

Bangkok Airways are always a great option locally and they have flights to Saigon - which was appealing to us.

We have opted to do:

Saigon - a few days, because it is apparently unmissable.
Mekong Delta - 2 nights
Saigon -1 night
Phu Quoc Island - 1 week - a shortish trip by air from Saigon and after various indifferent reports about some coastal resorts we thought this looked great. Could not find a poor review of the island or the chosen hotel (La Veranda)

We will then return to Bangkok via Saigon and Siem Reap (taking a few days to look at Ankor Wat etc.).

The Next trip (GBP / $ exchange rate allowing!!!) will probably be Hanoi, Halong bay and TBA in the North of Vietnam, returning via Laos and probably using Bangkok as the gateway again.

Obtaining a Vietnam visa was painless and quick (can't remember the cost but thought it was a little OTT). For Cambodia you can get an e-visa (government site allowing as it seems to "fall over" pretty frequently). This is all online (you need a good quality jpg passport photo). It currently costs $25 per person and takes about 24 to 48 hours.

Will post a TR of places and hotels when we get back in March (Fiona would give me grief if I didn't), so if you can wait we will be only too pleased to provide any help and info then.

Enjoy Goa!
Enjoy planning Vietnam!

Peter
:rofl
Its just because your TRs are so good Pete!
Hi

Thanks Fiona and Pete!!

Fiona I loved your trip report and just know we will love Vietnam (hopefully as much as we love goa) its nice to get someone oppinion off what they thought and where they went as I have struggled to find decent info.

and Pete that will be great if you do a trip report, i can wait till then no problems

have a great holiday and I will definatly enjoy Goa :tup

Thanks
By the way, meant to say that I agree with Pete re doing Vietnam in more than one holiday due to the weather. Our short stay was very memorable. :D
We are going in June this year as well, using Hoi An as our base.

We found our cheapest flights were with Singapore (surprised Us at the time) and hubby gets chance to fly on the A380 as well!
There is no doubt in my mind that Saigon is unmissable, but Hanoi is a total contrast and is more of what I expected Vietnam to be like. Our tour leader (who was from Vietnam) said about Saigon "it's like the Vietnam Hong Kong" and I can sort of see where he is coming from, although Hong Kong is clearly more westernised than Saigon will ever be.

One of the huge benefits about visiting Hanoi is the trip to Halong Bay. Now that truly is unmissable. As I have posted before on a different thread, I was less than impressed with Hoi An, but really loved Saigon, Hanoi, Halong Bay and slightly less the city of Hue. It's a fascinating country though, and ripe for exploration.

BTW PeteB, you are in for a treat with the Temples of Angkor. Sunrise at Angkor Wat itself has to be seen to be believed. Make sure you do it.....!!! Another thing, if you visit the Temples at My Son near Hoi An first, you will definitely be doing it the right way round before Angkor. Our Vietnam guide advised us to not bother with a sunrise trip to My Son because we'd all already been to Angkor....he was right, but it was still an enjoyable morning despite our bus driver failing to get us up to the temples in time for the actual sunrise!!!! Best thing about My Son, little to no crowds...unlike Angkor, but you can't really compare the two in all honesty.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.