Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
If you look carefully in the brochure, somewhere it will say something along the lines of: "all information in brochure is subject to change"
The information was never correct so it hasn't changed. They have never allowed access to it.
This is what it says in the 3 brochures -

"The information and prices shown in this brochure may have changed by the time you come to book your arrangements. Although we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the brochure information and prices at the time of printing, regrettably errors do occasionally occur. You must therefore ensure you check the price and all other details of your chosen arrangements with us or your travel agent at the time of booking"

I did check with Thomson and Virgin and both specifically said we could visit CSI, if I hadn't contacted Universal Studios Hollywood I would still be presuming we are going to see CSI.
own exclusive 6-hour tour of closed locations of sets such as Wisteria Lane and CSI.

Quoting what you have said - the key words are "Such As" - Whilst I accept what you say it does not guarantee that you will visit a particular set.
Why mention CSI if they no they cannot allow access? I specifically asked this and was guaranteed I could. Not told I MAY visit, I was told I WOULD.
I agree with Barry's point, when they said "Such As...." and quoted specific sets together with the 6 hour claim I would have taken that to mean that CSI was one of those normally included with a selection of equally famous programmes.

But I can see a problem, even if CSI was available for tours there are presumably some days when it is in use for filming. So if you were making this the highlight of the holiday then you should have got confirmation that it would be open for your date. At which point Virgin would either have withdrawn the suggestion or dropped themselves right in it!

Virgin will say that since you didn't check before you booked it couldn't have been that important (I say this because that line has been used by tour ops in the past when highlights have been dropped). Especially since the tour is just 6 hours in a two week holiday.

I think it's a big gamble to cancel and hope to get the money back through the courts. Took My Travel to court when they advertised a flight from an airport which they should have known was closed (same principle) and wouldn't let me cancel, but I was only gambling with £100.

Is there any chance that you can find a contact in the PR department of the company which makes CSI, email them and explain have you have been treated - possibly with a scan of the brochure - and see if you can have a quick look around whilst there? tell them how much you've paid before you found out it wasn't true (convert it to dollars, it looks more). After all Virgin are using their name so I'm sure they'd be interested.....

And if you do accept the car hire make sure it includes all possible insurance!
Hey Steve,

Yeah I understand there may be restrictions if they were filming but knew they wouldn't be filming at Universal Studios every day I was in LA (that's why we stayed longer in LA to give us this option). This is why I emailed Universal so I could find out which day to book the tour for and this is when I found out.
You can't visit the CSI set, the person you spoke to from Universal Studios is right. I have an annual pass to Universal and the backlot tour does absolutely NOT include a visit to the CSI set, nor am I aware of any way to get on it (not legally, anyway!).

With hindsight, you probably should have called Universal to confirm if you could visit the CSI set BEFORE you changed your flights. Yes, Virgin did advertise it but it seems they were unaware that this information was incorrect (so I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it "false advertising", especially as they tried to rectify the problem). One could argue that you shouldn't have to call Universal beforehand, not if Virgin were advertising the tour, but common sense suggests it's a good idea if you are planning to base your entire holiday around it.

Anyhow, why not put it down to experience and just come and enjoy California? Even if you had been able to see the CSI set, that would have lasted for...what...all of 30 minutes? Hardly worth cancelling a holiday over, surely, even for the most die hard CSI fan.

Last year I went to a CSI exhibition at the Science Museum (the free one... it's in LA, near the Colosseum stadium) and that was pretty decent. I don't watch CSI myself (my girlfriend likes it), but I found it quite interesting and they had re-creations of one of the character's offices, as well as mock crime scenes etc. I imagine the exhibition has moved now but it might be worth pursuing. Maybe it just moved to somewhere else in California and you could still find it.
As I said before the wording "such as" does not specifically say that you will actually visit that particular set. It is all about advertising and anyone with knowledge of that industry is well aware, what it says is on the label has no connection with what you get. They are selling a studio tour and that is all.
The fact that a particular show is filmed there is manna from heaven to the advertising people. They will tell you all about it, suggest you might, but never actually say you will get to see it. Unfortunately the public do not read it the same way Perhaps the TOs need to get some members of the public to read their brochures before they send them out. Ask them what they think they are getting and check that is what they will actually be delivering.

fwh
" such as " I would take to meant "these taken out of a group of possibilities"

As CSI was or ever has been a " posibility " according to an educated sourse on site.... I would have thought it was misleading to use its name in a sentence directly after " such as "

The phrase used should have been " similar too "

In a way its offering to sell something you have no possesion of, and with no way to proccure it....so I think it was misleading to use the phrase " such as " prior to CSI

I would have thought same as our OP and expected to visit other less popular sites with CSI and Wisteria being the highlights in my tour...

Dont think it would be seen as reasonable though to cancel whole holiday...incorporating so many elements...and so dont think you will get anywhere going down that road ..

I would contact the CSI powers that be ....explain what has gone on ....say how much you paid just so you could visit the site...and how much it mattered to you....how upset you are....and you may get a personal private tour....
They have the CSI experience at the MGM Grand Hotel in Vegas. I did not do it myself, but people were saying that it was very good.

It may be better than nothing :tup
The term 'such as' provides get debate in the legal world, its not as clear cut as others suggest. In defence of FWH, he is not legally qualified so he is expressing his personal opinion on the matter.

I do however believe that the TO will have this covered in their small print.
I have read all 3 brochures and the only thing it says is what I posted above. It's not just the brochures though I was guaranteed over the phone by a few different staff we could go to CSI. I have even been told this after someone at customer relations confirmed we couldn't visit and would update all their staff so they didn't disappoint any other customers.

Thanks for letting me know about the CSI at MGM in Vegas - will look it up.

Thanks to all for your comments, except certain rude members!
blst wrote:
Thanks to all for your comments, except certain rude members!

I haven't read anybody being rude. Perhaps they have written something that others may not agree with, but it isn't rude.

Please note that we don't accept any comments that are seen to attack other members.

Thanks

MarkJ HT Mod
Hopefully your persistence has paid off and they have deleted the reference - I can't see it on the Virgin Holidays online VIP experience package
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.