Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
thanks for the warning

we only use cash points abroad if we desperate

always take travellers checks or cash
if your card was cloned in Protaras it could not have been used the same day in Italy.. more likely it got cloned somewhere in the uk just before your holiday...
The details could have been used to purchase via the telephone or the internet.

Thats exactly what happened to me.

Kath HT Admin
didn't think of phone purchases but again unlikely the same day, my best guess would be if the card has been used in the uk at a garage or takeaway

wizard
I too always use travellers cheques when abroad.I withdrew £20 cash as I didn't have enough cash on me to purchase a gift.
I consider myself to be very careful when protecting my money and after a long conversation with the security team of my bank it was established that my card had been cloned and was used to withdraw cash in Italy in two seperate transactions. I recall being suspicious of the cashpoint in Protaras when I had difficulty removing my card from the slot but obviously by that time it was too late.I wish now that I had called my bank straight away.
I do not use my card as a debit card, only to withdraw cash and I have researched this issue and it is indeed possible to clone a card from a cashpoint, download the information on to a computer, produce a fake card anywhere in the world and withdraw cash all in a matter of hours.
With all this information and the conversation with my bank I can assure you that the crime was committed via a cashpoint in Protaras.
thanks for this warning. we arrive on sat and i had planned to just use the cash machines as its always a better rate and my bank doesnt charge for withdrawals abroad. do you think i would be ok using the one at the airport? or should i now just change my money before going over.
:?
help??
Just make sure there is nothing suspicious at the ATM. ie take a good look and make sure there isn't a problem with the card when inserted.

Hopefully you will be ok.

Kath x
HERE is an article with pictures of one of the main skimmer set ups there are other types but it gived a clue what to look for

wizard
nice article wizard
Can you go into a bank with a nationwide debit card to withdraw cash, or, is it safer to withdraw cash from the atm outside the bank? Would the scammers actually be that devious to scam outside a bank?

Thanks

Michelle x
Michell

for the last [well quite a few] years if i am using an ATM of which i am not familiar i alway look for possible hidden cameras, and put my fingers around the card slot and pull..if it comes off [which i haven't found YET] or feels loose i walk on and find another machine, there is a modern skimmer which fits into the card slot in the flat faced machines like we have in the uk with a smoky grey plastic surround which fits over the slot,
it is not very bulky and the only way to tell is if you can get your nails behind it and pull it loose

wizard
Michelle - the cloners put a fake cover (looks like the real thing) over the original input slot etc of the banks ATM they then have a hidden camera at the top over looking where you enter your pin number. Someone apparently is sitting nearby (with a view finder) watching you enter your pin. They then pass those details on and your card is cloned. The system they use is for cash withdrawals from other ATM's.

I watched a TV programme on this a year or so ago showing how it works. They advised that you check around all the casing before entering your card and, even if it looks ok ALWAYS cover your hand when entering your pin number.
Looking at that article, I wouldn't say those "skimmers" are so easy to spot.

Quite frightening!

I for one, will be examining the machines very carefully from now on.

Thanks for posting it :)

Regards
Cyprus100
sorry i have been looking for a picture of the Lebanese loop [skimmer] which fits the flat faced ATM but as yet no luck ..if i find one i will post again

wizard
I Watched a tv program about these "skimmers" on cash machines,the advice they gave if you are using an unfamiliar one was to put your hand over the key pad when keying in your numbers as the cameras are focused on that area so you are shielding the camera with your hand.
Karlee
Just take your visa card into the bank with your passport and they will give you money , i always do that when in Protaras.
i dont have a visa card. it is just a nationwide flex account bank card.
I found this post interesting. I worked in Cyprus a couple of years back & always used my cashcard to withdraw (as I was paid into a UK bank account so had to!). I never had any problems, but I always used the same cashpoints - not that I didn't trust them all, just that once I knew some were ok I stuck to them ( I tend to do the same here)
I go to Cyprus regularly and always use cashpoints rather than taking cash/travellers cheques as I find it more convenient, get a better rate and I think the charge for using it is very small (£1.79). I just got back on Sunday from my last visit. There was one machine in Pernera I went to but didn't like the look of the plastic bit where you put your card in - it just looked a bit....big? Might've been nothing, but I chose to use a different one instead.
I would say, use the same caution as in the UK, but don't be put off completely about using your card over there. My partner's parents now live in Paralimni and they use cashcards (local and UK) and have not reported any problems. Unfortunately, it sounds like you were very unlucky and let's hope this does not become more common.
have a close look at your card it will have on it somewhere either the VISA or MASTERCARD logo so you can use it in a machine with that logo
povided the bank you use subscribes to the suporting company you should be able to draw cash from the bank o production os identification
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.