General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hmm! Know the feeling! There are practically no OTC medicines of any value sold in France (well that aren't herbal or alternative or cosmetic etc) so I regularly buy up in the UK when I'm visiting friends.

BUT ... even the best laid plans go astray .... the Immodium Plus that I bought were absolutely USELESS against my TD in Morocco and whilst I am glad I did try to sort this out in advance, I was sadly underwhelmed by the lack of positive action by the said product!!
In some places the opposite is true. In goa you can buy anything over the counter, a strip of 50 immodium tablets is less than a pound as is a ventolin inhaler, the amount of money people have spent on paracetamol ect at home would cover the cost of a night out :bhead
Immodium (or similar) is useful when you're travelling but it's not a cure for many of the bacterial intestinal infections you can pick up in some countries. Often the local pharmacy will have something more effective. If it gets really bad (and I speak from experience) rely on your travel insurance and call a doctor. I was happy to pay the £30 excess for about £150 of very effective treatment on one unhappy occasion in the middle east.
Rob
i buy my ventolin inhaler over the counter at my local chemist in turkey. It costs just over £2! I tell all my friends with asthma to stock up while they are visiting me.
I always buy my prescription migraine spray in Turkey. Its a lot cheaper than the cost of a prescription here. I also get a few tubes of antibiotic cream (bactroban) as it costs pennies. Even stuff like Ibuprofen is worth stocking up on.

Bridd
Zovirex for cold sores £5 here, £2 in Spain otc.
can you tell me the name of your migraine spray please because my son has to use 1 and wondered if its the same
many thanks
sue
Hi Altisu

it's Imigran 20mg nasal spray. The only thing thats ever touched my migraines. Works a treat . Fortunately I dont get them often.

Is that what your son uses? Does it help?

Bridd
I couldn't buy antihistamine tablets in Lanzarote only the cream. Take some with you if you suffer from prickly heat.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.