EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
I know we pay directly to the water company - they come and read the meter every 3 to 6 months. I don't know if it's excessively high, but we don't have a swimmming pool or a well. Perhaps if you could tell me whereabouts in France the property is, I could make some enquiries at the Mairie.

However, water is becoming a scarce commodity in France, and then the prices are sure to rise. This is due to the amount of nitrates used in agriculture which filter down into the water table and therefore makes this supply undrinkable, and also to the droughts we have had due to the heat of the last few summers - there are some parts of France already on water restrictions and have been since March as we've not had enough rainfall to stablise our reserves!
Just looked at our water bill. Tursan (s.w. France) water is 0.83309 Euro per cubic litre + VAT (TVA) at 5.5%. Then there is a fixed charge at 24.13 Euro per 6 months and a couple of very small charges for pipe & payment by standing order (I think) - less than 1 Euro.

Neighbours did say that we are short of water too but don't know if any restrictions yet.

Hope this helps.

Cic
thank you both very much. It doesn't sound too bad if my calculations are right. They are looking around Brittany so if its anything like here, I though water wouldn't be that scarce! Thanks again for your help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.