Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I saw that report too, silentman.

I have to say my OH & I stood aghast on Calagute steps as we watched people swimming in the sea alongside boats coming and going as well as jet skis.

I find it astonishing that they don't have segregated areas for swimmers and water sports, it's a wonder there aren't more accidents.

With this one (according to the Indiatimes), it was a medical student from Delhi. The boat he was in hit a stationary boat and he was thrown into the water and died later of head injuries.
The introduction of Life Guards in recent years is a move in the right direction but they appear to be more prepared to warn locals who stray outside the safe area than overseas visitors.

I think this is more a case of the locals paying more attention than the overseas visitors. I saw the lifeguard being totally ignored despite repeated attempts to whistle in some foreign swimmers so he just wandered on to the next lot of swimmers.
That's so sad but there is an air of inevitability about it.

I'm sure many of us have been alarmed by the antics of speedboats and especially jet-skis as they zoom around, just yards away from swimmers and bathers. I know in Baga there are segregated areas but nobody seems to take too much notice of them.

Last year there was a person who went swimming every day about a quarter of a mile out to sea. He/she was obviously a very strong swimmer but I'm not sure if some of the speeding/swerving jet skiers would have seen him/her until it was too late. Frightening.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.