Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi
Hoping somebody can help..I visit Stalis every year, but always earlier in august. We are not able to go until 15th Sept this year and so i am wondering(and panicing!!) what the weather will be like?

Has anybody been this time of year before, and if so was it hot still, and did you need a woolie!! at night? please put me out of my misery! getting obssessed now. Although ive checked past weather forecasts they have not always proved accurate! a real person whos been that time of year would be more reassuring for me!

thanks
:think
i have been 3 times in september....always in the 80's and warm at night :cheers jane
Hi all

Just wondering if any posters who may reside/be staying in Crete can enlighten me as to whether the weather forecasts indicating rain, storms, cloud....(anything but hot and sunny) are concise and accurate. Going for my annual trip to Stalis next tuesday and always normally go end of August. My biggest fear when i booked for mid sept was the risk of not having decent weather, please help!! Crying many tears as only going for a week and may also now need to repack for cooler, wetter weather!! and not take my factor 50 sun cream? :( :( :( :(
I am planning on visiting Stalis for 2 weeks 26th August to 9th September.

Can you tell me what the weather is like at this time?
welcome to the Greek forums of HT
I have merged you post into the weather topic, to find the weather history for northern Crete look here

yasus
wizard
Thank you, I did think where did my post go.

So if anyone could help?
We have been to stalis, crete 3 times now and are hoping to go again during September 2010. Two of our previous trips have been during September and the weather has been very hot and sunny at that time of year. The evenings were also quite warm. Have only ever experienced 2 days of rain ( and they were warm ) during end sept / beginning of oct.
:sun2
i have heard that Crete is the coolest island and has a breeze all year round , how does this compare to Rhodes where the wind could be quite strong at times .
i have heard that Crete is the coolest island

don't know who told you that.. Crete is one of the warmest of the Greek islands.. yes it can be fairly windy ON THE SOUTH of the island [thats why the resorts most Brits go to are in the north]

yasus
wizard
You can get a few quite breezy days on the northern coast of crete but the breezes tend to be quite warm and pleasant. :sun2
Looking at the weather guides in brochures Crete is shown as a few degrees less in August than other islands , i dont mind the breeze as found it quite refreshing on Rhodes. Cant wait to go now
My wife and I have been to Crete twice in the last 4 years and the weather was as follows:

1st time - 12th September 2006 to 26th September 2006 - Rethymnon

We arrived in the evening so didn't know what the weather was like during the first day, but the next day we were greeted with cloudless blue skies, the first week was pretty much like this the whole time, temperature was around the low to mid 30's.

The second week was a bit cooler (high 20's - low 30's) and a few days rain (although it was still warm - during one rain spell we were in the sea watching the lightning lol). We also had one really windy day, it came out of the blue as we were all by the pool, then all of a sudden, clouds, rain & very very windy (it blew all the parasols & sun loungers into one corner in a messy heap). This was around 5-6pm, so my wife and I went back to the hotel room to get changed for our usual night out. We left the hotel at around 8pm to find the cloud, rain & wind had all gone.
Evening wear was mainly knee length shorts and T-shirt although last few days was jeans & long sleeved shirt - no need for cardi or jumper though. :)

2nd time - 21st August 2007 to 4th September 2007- Hersonisos

Weather was really hot on arrival at Heraklion airport (around 38-39C) and the first week it was in the high 30's (37+) at the height of the day. We were told by the hotel staff that the previous week it was in the low 40's. There was a bit of a (warm) breeze but this was quite nice due to the heat.

The second week was a little cooler, around low to mid 30's and the very last day was overcast and a little hazy (still warm enough to sit by the hotel pool though). Never saw any rain the 2 weeks we were there. Came back with a nice tan :) Evening wear was mainly knee length shorts & T-shirt.

Although both holidays were really, really nice, I would always opt for an slightly earlier time (as per the second time we went) due to the fact that I like it fairly hot.
It seems to tail-off towards the end of September in my experience.

Hope this helps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.