Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I've never had a problem with anyone touching our things on the beach, however that's not to say it won't happen. Don't take any valuables with you, and only the amount of money you need. Spread it out in different places and pile towels and clothes on top of your bags when you are swimming. You can always ask people nearby to keep an eye on your things!
I too have never experienced a problem in all the years of visiting the beaches in and around Ayia Napa/Protaras. I concur with CarolH and only take what we need money wise for the day and no expensive equipment like cameras, iPods etc.

There was a recent report though in the Cyprus Mail about a spate of recent thefts from beaches in the East of the island, these were apparently carried out by non Cypriots who have been roaming the beaches looking to thieve bags etc.

I have a great device which is stainless steel thickened wire which attaches to a number lock and you can thread it through your bag and fasten it to almost anything thus making it difficult for a bag just to be lifted and making it difficult to get into the bag without drawing attention to yourself....it's been a godsend on many a holiday :wink: I bought it some years ago on the internet but can't for the life of me think of the name of the company, if I remember I'll post a link.

Another good tip at Nissi is to site yourself near or in front of the Lifeguard stand as this is permanently manned and they tend to notice anything out of the ordinary.

You could also get yourself a waterproof wallet for your money, keys etc. which hangs around your neck or clips onto your swim shorts. GO make these and they're readily available in the shops or online.

Happy hols :D
thanks for your advice, think ill leave valubles at the hotel then, should be ok.
I'd go with a waterproof wallet to hang around your neck as someone else suggested. I used one in Florida this year at the waterpark and was quite amazed that they really work - they keep your money (notes) dry. If you get a big one you may be able to keep your keys in it too. If not, take a few extra shoelaces and pop your keys on them and wear them as a funky necklace.

Personally I wouldn't leave my money or my car/hotel keys on the beach, I'd rather wear them on my person.

If you do have to leave them on the beach, you could bury them in the sand under your sunbed if you think you can remember where you put them ! Could make for an interesting hour or two finding them :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.